Photo data says 1923

RimrockRandy

Greetings and thank you for your help. Here's another case where only the AACA experts can save the day. This historical photo is on file in the Arizona archives. The file data says the photo was taken in 1923 but that car will be the telltale. Here's the source link for the photo:

http://archive.library.nau.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/ahsnd/id/117/rec/1

Our interest lies in attempting to find photos of the earliest days of highway US 89. US 89 was created in the 1925-26 time frame. At that time there was no bridge to cross the Colorado River on US 89. Travelers had to use the ferry boat at Lee's Ferry, where this picture was taken. What's now known as Navajo Bridge on US 89A at Marble Canyon was functional until January 1929.

Thank you for your help!!! 

John Parsons, Rimrock, AZ  ( us89team.com )

leesferry.jpg

Thanks, "TheMoneyPit." If it's a 1927, that's going to really help a lot in identifying the actual crossing used by early US 89 motorists. 

I am going to try to get a higher resolution copy of the photo. Northern Arizona University archives only puts low resolution versions online.

Thanks, Leif Holmberg and keiser31I can easily see the characteristic fenders! Good eyes! The consensus has been that early US 89 drivers used what's called the "lower crossing" but this photo crop clearly shows that 1927 vehicle crossing the river at the old "upper crossing." The cabin on the far side is the telltale. Since a tragic triple fatality permanently closed the ferry in June 1928,  a 1927 vehicle crossing the river at that spot reinvents the route of US 89 at that location.  

After the ferry was closed and before the bridge was finished, the second photo shows the only way to get a vehicle across the river.

In the third photo, note the two yellow push pins. The upper one shows the location of the cabin in Photo #1. Somehow, the route of an official US highway traversed up and back from that ferry location. Identifying this vehicle as a 1927 is going to cause quite a "stir" in among the highway historians who study this incredibly intriguing portion of US 89. Thank you!

2018-03-05_1036.png

desparate2.jpg

2018-03-05_1059.png

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I agree with the Dodge Brothers identification.

I don't, as the bottom corners of the radiator shell are much more 'squared-off' on the Dodge than the car in question. And the bumper differs in several ways.

Don't know what it is, but the Dodge ID doesn't work for me.

I do agree the front fenders make it unlikely this pic was taken as early as 1923, though...

• Like 1

I don't think so on the Overland IS because of the narrow top of the radiator and it's more tapered toward the bottom than the one on the car in question. Fenders are wrong for being an Overland. Those fenders definitely have the Dodge Brothers ridges. Here is the Overland for comparison...

1926 Overland.jpg

Definitely a 1927-28 Studebaker. Car in question has cowl lights, a centre bumper medallion, and slight curve to the top of the rear window. The bumper has a recessed, painted line on it. These are all characteristic of Studebakers of the period. None of the other suggested vehicles have these.

• Like 2

The other thing which distinguishes the car as a circa 1927 Studebaker is the Atlanta hood ornament. The car is a Model EU, which started the season as a Standard Six and was renamed Dictator somewhere along the way. Production went from June 1926 to September 1927 according to The Standard Catalog.

Image result for "1927 studebaker hood ornament"

11 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I think it is Atalanta, who was a character in the Greek myths, a virgin huntress.

Oddly enough I thought it was Atalanta but it was spelled Atlanta in The Standard Catalog and I had not researched it further.