Who has Shipped an Engine Lately?

alsancle

The 327 Packard engine you see below is going to somebody who is going to use it down in Texas (from Mass).   Last time I shipped an engine (also Packard) was 10 years ago and we strapped it to a pallet and built a box around it.

I did not arrange that shipping so I don't know who was used or what the cost was.   I do know it will require a lift gate on my side and maybe on at the other end.

Engine weight is 800 to 900 lbs.  No transmission or accessories except manifolds.

Any advice?

IMG_3764.JPG

Any advice?

Yes, buy me a nice meal at Pebble Beach this year...........and call John, he sent two engines to the west coast in the past 12 months. 

I shipped a straight 8 Buick engine from Vancouver WA to Oklahoma and found a local freight company was less than Fastenal.  

Mount it on a pallet or build a fork lift skid for it and put a box around it.  You will need total weight and dimensions to get pricing.  Call several local freight companies and compare pricing to Fastenal.  And be sure to mark it as used machinery.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had a Buick 320 cu in engine shipped from MN to GA last fall for a round $300 with Fastenal.  Forget the exact price.  It was strapped to a pallet and wrapped in plastic.  Fastenal will only insure if the thing is enclosed.  The engine weighed in at around 900 pounds without the flywheel.  When I arrived at Fastenal they used a forklift to load it on the back of my pickup, I used an engine hoist to get it off the truck. 

No diner involved

You need to check with Fastenal stores on both ends to be sure they can handle a heavy item. I had to travel 45 minutes to one of their stores to collect a box with two 1938 Ford front fenders and a hood. Mid West to New York / Connecticut line for around $200.00 Super deal IMO. Bob 

Hey Bob,

It definitely has to be a lift gate pickup at the source (which is my dad's house).  If I have to bring it to Fastenal or some place else it is not worth the effort of shipping it.

I pointed the buyer at this thread,  and he is investigating his options. 

Ok, I should ha e made that clear, you have to bring the item to Fastenal, they don't pick up or deliver. The idea is a good one, they have empty trucks after they deliver hardware to their stores, so making a few bucks moving freight is a smart move IMO. I should mention that the large box with those '38 Ford fenders & hood were one their way back to the shipper because I couldn't pick them up right away. Shocking news when I called, but they stopped the return some were in mid Pennsylvania. They made it back to the Fishkill depot within a few days, and I pickled them up. NO EXTRA charge, even though it was my fault. I'm a very happy customer. Bob 

Yes, you have to take the item to Fastenal.

I shipped a Chrysler 6 cyl inline engine with transmission (disconnected and placed alongside the engine) + generator, & starter. 

Total weight including box was 735#

Not only must you build a box around the engine to qualify for insurance (you state the value), both the engine and transmission must be drained of all fluids.  If you don't box it up, you're on your own if something tragic happens,...like a fork-lift poking a hole in the block.

From Lincoln NE to Huntsville AL it was $285.   Buyer picked it up at his nearest Fastenal.  

I had ENGINESHIPPING.COM quote it too, and their price was $318

Edited by dgatz (see edit history)

Easiest thing to do is find a trucking company with terminals close to both the shipping party and the receiving party.first take your truck to the local gravel yard and weigh it. Once the motor is crated and on your truck, weigh it again and get your pallets weight. And 20lbs to be sure as most trucking companies will penalize for wrong weight. Like everyone has said, build a stand on the pallet to secure the engine and box it with Luann plywood and square stock at the corners. 1 1/4” sheet rock screws make for fast and secure application of the Luann. If it’s easier, make the Luann box while it’s on the ground then put the engine and pallet in your truck with an engine hoist. Leave it at the back of the bed. Once in the truck, screw on the Luann box. Go to the terminal and they will pull it off for you. receiving party can then go to their local terminal to pick it up. I’ve gotten great rates and service from ABF. MA to TX should be around $325-$350 or so. Try to keep it to as compact a pallet as possible and call it machinery. Don’t call it an antique car motor as some companies don’t want to haul antique car parts these days. I have shipped a few motors recently and some other large palletize parts. It’s pretty easy. Haven’t used Fastenal as they are much farther away than four other companies and I haven’t found any huge difference in cost although some big name companies can quote double just because they can.

meant to add: a lift gate pickup or delivery is EXTREMELY expensive so I recommend to not even consider it plus cost goes up if delivered to a business address or residential address even in the residential address has a loading dock. Best way is terminal to terminal.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1