Need info on this 38 in Cuba

Elpad

So have a friend that recently paid a visit to  Oriente, easternmost province of Cuba and came across this what he believes is a 38. His level of curiosity arose and wants to know more info on this car. He thinks is a rare model and wants to know how many were made and any other pertaining info. The car belongs to his friend and was looking for parts specially the grille. All American cars in Cuba has been highly altered with Eastern European parts to make ends meet but this one looks and he said is all original there. How much would you guys value this one at?

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

The grille and hub caps make it a 1938.

Wheelbase will help determine the size:

Special was 122 inches

Century was 126 inches

Roadmaster was 133 inches

(Limited did not offer  convertible, but was 140 inch wheelbase)

It is not a Roadmaster. If you study pictures you will the area of the cowl and front of the front doors on the larger body is different.

There is obviously no tyre in the side mount because otherwise it would be sitting up high.

I think it is a Special because the badge on the hood side - even though it is out of focus -  doesn't look as if it says Century.

Question:  Being the Special and Century bodies are identical, where did Buick make up the 4" difference in the wheelbase?  Is the chassis 4" longer?  Curious

26 minutes ago, Gary W said:

Question:  Being the Special and Century bodies are identical, where did Buick make up the 4" difference in the wheelbase?  Is the chassis 4" longer?  Curious

Gary, difference is in the front, longer frame, fenders moved forward and longer hood. Look and compare a Century to a Special, notice the space between the rear of the front fender and the door, wider space on the Century..

• Like 2

Thanks all for all the input, I will pass along the info to my friend so he can measure wheelbase to determine model even though he mention series 40. I emailed him and page of a series 40 for sale in Inverness, Fl completed restored for $70,000 but again don’t know how old the ad was

9 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Gary, difference is in the front, longer frame, fenders moved forward and longer hood. Look and compare a Century to a Special, notice the space between the rear of the front fender and the door, wider space on the Century..

The front fenders on 40 and 60 Series are actually different, although they are the same length. In the photo you will see the difference between the fenders. The front section of the frame is longer. The hoods are different length and the running boards are different length. The difference is most easily found by measuring the length of the hood sides. A recent issue of the Torque Tube II had a article comparing the differences between a Model 41 and Model 61. The same type of comparison could be made between the 40C and a 60C.

DSC_0753.JPG

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

The front fenders on 40 and 60 Series are actually different, although they are the same length. In the photo you will see the difference between the fenders. The front section of the frame is longer. The hoods are different length and the running boards are different length. The difference is most easily found by measuring the length of the hood sides. A recent issue of the Torque Tube II had a article comparing the differences between a Model 41 and Model 61. The same type of comparison could be made between the 40C and a 60C.

DSC_0753.JPG

Matt, so this also means that the fender mount holes are moved forward on the Century bodies?

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

Matt, so this also means that the fender mount holes are moved forward on the Century bodies?

The black fender is from a Special. The green primer fender is from a Century. The body shells are identical except the pattern of the captured nuts for the front fenders being different. I am not sure exactly what the difference is yet. I will need to figure that out shortly.

35 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Cars in Cuba often have different engines.  I would be surprised if the straight 8 is still original.  If it is, it most likely has several components from others.

Heard that still have the original engine. Will ask for pics to post. Any idea how many of these were produced. Is red the original color?

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

There were 5943 Model 44 Buicks produced in 1938.

I believe the 44 was the 2 dr Streamline Sport Sedan. Any idea on production numbers on the 40C ?

What’s the asking price?Shouldnt be too bad cause the Cubans can generally rebuild a motor for $1.49.I really liked Cuban Chrome on TV.Reminded me of how I tried to put my cars together in late 69 on a gas station job for $2.00 an hour. Fun to watch and definitely better than murder of the week or all Oprah all the time.

• Like 1