Question about Buick Tachometer (66)

Chimera

Does anyone know of a 66 Riviera that had an official Buick Tachometer installed? I assume it was not offered in 66 because it is lacking in the official accessory booklet. I know it may not make sense to install a tach on an automatic vehicle, however I am curious if this was ever offered by factory, dealer, or otherwise. I might think perhaps a knee Knocker style could be added, but not really an ideal location that I can think of. Thanks for any personal experience, stories, or knowledge.

Tachometeer.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 2.27.41 AM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Chimera said:

Thanks Tom.

The picture on top is a 70, the one on bottom is a knee knocker 60.

As Tom said, the 7,000 rpm tach was only made in 1962 and is very rare and desirable. Most will max out at 6,000. But you can flip any mounting cup 180 degrees and make it a knee knocker. It's still the same tach. 

10 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

As Tom said, the 7,000 rpm tach was only made in 1962 and is very rare and desirable. Most will max out at 6,000. But you can flip any mounting cup 180 degrees and make it a knee knocker. It's still the same tach. 

I`m sure Buick changed the red line after folks were blowing up their Nailheads...Nailhead pistons no likey alot of RPM

Tom

9 hours ago, PWB said:

I forgot I brought up the topic recently.

Some nice images on this tach. thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/297003-buick-tachometer/?tab=comments#comment-1634785

Untitled_jpg_71861152f8cfa42a52a4f504855cc479.jpg

That is the factory location pictured in one of the accessory brochures, `64 I would guess but may be as early as `63. The `64 Buick shop manual shows the Riv on the top of the dash

Tom

8 hours ago, Chimera said:

How much do you guys think a 62 vintage 70(00) Buick Tach is worth around $$$??? 

In good condition of course...

Thanks.

Why do you need a 7 grand tachometer?  

Worth to me?  Not much; I wouldn't run  a nailhead past 5 grand, probably not even that high. So a 7 grand tach is unnecessary.  Now, a 5 grand tach,  that's a different story.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Considering the location it's more for a "Bragging" statement rather than for an actual for use item as you HAVE to take your eyes off the road to view what it's saying. For me, now this my own personal opinion, if I can't glance at it WITHOUT taking my eyes off the road then it won't go in MY car.

Tom T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you would have to glance down if you wanted to see how RPMs are doing. And down there it is far away. Technically you have to take your eyes off the road just to check your speed, but yeah.

Well in some ways, people own Riviera for a "bragging" statement already, when you really think about it. The family, friends, and community interactions are highly valuable of course. 

Putting a tach in an automatic 2nd gen Riv is certainly a hard sell, however I am looking at putting one in a 66 dual quad GS with floor shifter to nudge it further into the high performance venue. It also does not have a factory air conditioning: Wasted weight for a classic vintage super car blazing down the road!!! Hows that for a bragging statement!?

Batmans a candy ass without his car...Im driving a Riviera!

• Like 1

Dual carb. setup propels it to a higher level in Nirvana.

A period correct tach.  proud atop dash center - justified and warranted.

Not a distraction there IMO.

The dash pads are repro. available if a future owner dislikes.

- heck - the resell of the tach. would more than pay for the dash pad.

Its combos like this that make all the buzz at BJ. 

"Whats that tach. doin there? Whats under the hood?"  BAM

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 14 October 2017 at 11:41 PM, 1965rivgs said:

That is the factory location pictured in one of the accessory brochures, `64 I would guess but may be as early as `63. The `64 Buick shop manual shows the Riv on the top of the dash

Tom

Interesting photo. This shows a later style ribbed dash but is the speedo a very early 120mph version?

Did they go back to a 120mph in 1964. Curios.

If you're referring to the picture in post #4, that's a 63 dash.  If it were a 64, you'd have to remove the headlight switch to mount the tach where it is.  The mid year changes in 63 were staggered so you could have a 120 mph speedometer and a ribbed dash.  No 64's came with a plain dash or a 120 mph speedometer. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Forgive me, I hate to throw in a monkeywrench, but can anyone explain the advantage of having a tach in an automatic non-race car? Are you guys revvin' out & slamming gears in your Rivs?!  Doesn't work for me as a "bragging statement" either, as it looks out of place in an automatic luxury car. Maybe paired w a rear deck spoiler or a roll cage?  As for worth, is an item's value whatever the guy with the most money will pay for it?  $400-$500 seems like a lot, even by overpriced used tach standards.         sorry, just sayin

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...