Airplanes

countrytravler

My best friend, Gerry has a hangar up in Petaluma, CA. where they collect and restore vintage planes. He returns from Thailand late Monday night, I'd be happy to put you two in touch.

I'm sure that anyone in the business of restoring planes is well connected with that hobby and there are many collectors/collections out there that would know his work and he able to assist.  Have you tried contacting some of the well known aviation museums around for their advice?  It's a big hobby (literally) but a relatively small circle of collectors and restorers.

Terry

36 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I'm sure that anyone in the business of restoring planes is well connected with that hobby and there are many collectors/collections out there that would know his work and he able to assist.  Have you tried contacting some of the well known aviation museums around for their advice?  It's a big hobby (literally) but a relatively small circle of collectors and restorers.

Terry

I do cars and this just happen last week. I'm going over to the house tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

My best friend, Gerry has a hangar up in Petaluma, CA. where they collect and restore vintage planes. He returns from Thailand late Monday night, I'd be happy to put you two in touch.

Sure, that would be great. The widow wants

it all to go to good homes.

Golden Age Air Museum. Bethel, Pa, 717 933 9566.

They restore and fly them..............

Don't know what's up for sale but they have value. Check around and don't be in a hurry to give them away...................................Bob

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Golden Age Air Museum. Bethel, Pa, 717 933 9566.

They restore and fly them..............

Don't know what's up for sale but they have value. Check around and don't be in a hurry to give them away...................................Bob

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Thank you.

You're quite welcome. Again, depending on the hardware, A lot of this stuff has great value. Don't be in a hurry and don't be emotional about finding  a "good  home" unless money is irrelevant. A lot of "good homes" are looking to make a killing.................Bob

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

You're quite welcome. Again, depending on the hardware, A lot of this stuff has great value. Don't be in a hurry and don't be emotional about finding  a "good  home" unless money is irrelevant. A lot of "good homes" are looking to make a killing.................Bob

I'll have pictures tomorrow.

1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

I'll have pictures tomorrow.

Pictures would be of great help.  Although this is an old car forum, many on here are, or have been, pilots and would be more than willing to share their expertise to help you get an initial "handle" on what you have.  As to sources to assist in selling an aircraft, the previously-suggested Trade-A-Plane is excellent; however, for vintage aircraft, the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) may be a better resource.   Here's a link to EAA's site:  https://www.eaa.org/eaa

Here's a link to a guide to California aviation museums, which could also be a good resource:  http://www.skytamer.com/6.1.USA.California.htm

Bhigdog's advice is great, and Greg's friend Gerry could prove to be an excellent source of information for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

You have my sympathy over the loss of your friend.

Cheers,

Grog

Joe, you're the perfect person to advise on this.  Jim Hardman and I were speaking about you by email not long ago as we were sharing memories of Carlisle, Hershey and spark plug collecting.

Terry

2 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I have always had the thought of buying a few acres way out somewhere and planting an old aircraft on it to live in.

Don't need a whole lot of room to be comfortable and I like the repurposing idea.

Here is your chance. Only 40 miles from me.

Ha, These look a bit to small.

I would need a bathroom and kitchen area at least, besides a bedroom.

I was thinking of more like a small passenger liner of some sort. Or a big one if it could be transported.

I had my eye on 5 acres not far from me that would have been perfect for something like this, on a slope with a nice view.

Big dreams, not so big pockets.

17 hours ago, padgett said:

If you need something larger, last I knew the XC-99 was a chicken coop (not coupe) somewhere outside San Antonio.

Googled that.

I might have to look for a bigger property.

Guest 503Labs
On 8/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, countrytravler said:

Sure, that would be great. The widow wants

it all to go to good homes.

I'm new to these forums (trying to find out the model of my great-great-grandpa's Buick). Aviation is my passion, would be happy to help.  What models do you have?

They are Waco's.  First one looks like a UBF2 but with a cowling on the radial. Can't tell the model of the Cessna. And the other blue one outside looks like another  Waco but I don't know the model. There are a couple others in the mix also. Waco's are very desirable aircraft and so are those radial engines.