1937 buick

richmond

Hi I'am trying to figure the engine color,hirsh says green others say turquoise,the engine is turquoise now,but it looks original,and been sitting in a garage for 40 years.can someone say for sure what color??  It's a 1937 Buick century 66s straight 8 Thank you

richmond,

The correct color is the dark green. The turquoise color was correct for engines a few years later. Off the top of my head, I am not sure what year the color changed. It is possible that either the engine was changed to a later model engine or else it could have been rebuilt and painted the then current engine paint color at that time. If you can post your engine number, we can determine what year the engine was built.

richmond, the other way around . Flixible Bus used the 320 Buick engine.    Your Century has a 320 CI engine. So could well have come from one. 

I believe Buick used a black semi gloss primer for years. Almost all Buick engine paint would wear/peel off, leaving black. That NEVER seemed to come off.

Ben

• Like 1

Please double check your engine number. The number that you posted seems to be missing a digit.  Also, can you post a photo of the engine, or at least identify where you are finding th serial number on the engine? The serial number location changed a bit over the years and different engines so the serial number location might help identify the engine year.

Can you post a photo of each side that shows most or all of the engine? The engine number looks like there was another number that got lightly or partially stamped in front of the other numbers. In the photo, I can make out what might have been part of a 5 or possibly part of an 8, or perhaps something else. Can you make a guess to what number that might have been? Where is that serial number on the engine, i.e., back, front, center, and right or left side of the engine? 

I can't figure it out ,either it's a letter H or just scraps.#numbers left side of distributor,above oil stick. 5442687 I did see pictures of it from 40years ago and met the owner,he is sending me the info he has,but he can't remember to well I think he is pretty old,he did say it was rebuilt at vt transit bus station where he worked along with my father in law .hopefully he will send some information.the information I'am getting is second hand,he is not a people person

1948 or later 320.  As pont35cpe says, the side mount tells. Also on the driver side, the crankcase vent intake is at the front of the 320, as here, and at the rear on the 248/2673.  On the other side, the 320 serial number is behind the distributor over the dipstick, as here, while in front of the distributor on the small series.

I think what we are seeing on the serial # is a 5, indicating 5,544,268 7, where the 7 indicates 70 series, another indicator of a 320.

1949 320ci  [series 70] starting number was 5,220,972.   1950 starting number was 5,635020.  So your engine falls about  91,000 from end of 1949 production engine production.

I think!

Ben

Thank you all very much for the help,maybe the old owner has some more info but for now I'm going with the tourquise color and 1949 engine. He gave me a lot of parts for the 1937&1938 it took a 16 ft u haul to get everything down here in sc.again thank you

richmond,

It is your car and you can do anything you want to with it. I would offer my suggestion based on a bit of experience with these cars. If I was you, I would paint any year engine in a 1937 the 1937 Engine color. A lot of casual observers would not even notice that the engine was the wrong year if it was the normal paint color for 1937. If you ever want to sell the car, while you should notifiy the potential buyer about the engine change, I think that most potential buyers would see the wrong paint color as a significant detriment to the perceived value of the car. I know one individual who has been attempting to sell a car with a 1937 Century with a later engine (with the later engine paint color) for quite a while at what seems like a good price without having any luck selling the car.

• Like 6

I used the 1937 Buick Green engine paint that is sold by CARS in NJ.  I got it in brush and aerosol.  The color match is perfect between the two and while I brushed the engine, I sprayed the rocker cover, the spark plug cover and got a really nice finish to those sheet metal parts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jenz38 said:

An old question in me comes up..

Is it correct,Buick changed with the sidemounts over to named the models from the first digit to the last digit?..

Jenz, looks like the series number moved to after the serial number in 1946.  Per the chart referenced above. The side engine mount started in 1948.

Ben

The series digit was moved to the end of the engine number for the 1942 model year.  Since this engine came out of a bus I would not expect it to have a series digit stamped and it is not the first engine that I've seen from this time period without the series digit.

• Like 1