1924 Buick id

25 Buick

Hi, just purchased a whole of a project. But the initial car seems to be a long wheelbase 1924 Buick tourer model unknown. It has luggage rack on rear and battery box on the running board. 6 cylinder. I also got a 40+ year collection of Buick parts with it , so I only want to begin restoring the car to original condition and with the parts it came out with. Cannot find a number on the body or chassis so need some help to get the car identified so I can begin the research and then the restoration. 

From Australia with kind regards for your replys in advance,

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

hi it looks like  a master going by the second picture as it has the extra round bar between the chassis rails at the very front and the motor on the trailer is a master it could be a 1925 as it looks like its got the alloy moulding between the bonnet and body which 25 had what size wheels are they if they are 22 inch id say its a 25 master

Edited by tonybuick (see edit history)

Was another two trailer trips of parts. After these ones. The motor is still in the car although half pulled down. The motor on the trailer is spare and has a square intake. The wheels rings are 25inches. Has two peice windscreen and sunvisor. 

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Greetings from 1 newbie to another.

My car (also a 128 inch wheelbase) has the chassis id plate on the front LEFT chassis rail (passenger side) just behind the front wheel. Another post identifies this plate being on the front right of a 1926 -25 model.

Unfortunately i am missing the body plate that shoud be, i belive, be fitted to the drivers seat base.

David.

Hi David , I will do a good search of plates again tommorow. I am missing seats and roof but the timber frames are in the car I want to get my parts correct then start the build process. Is there any idea of what the top model was for 1924?

• Like 1

Well the 1924 reference book list 10 models for the year.

However there are fellas out there with far more knowledge that myself, and im sure that in time they will add to this thread.

According to the book, i read it as the 6-55 (Sport Touring) is the "top model" for the year.

By the way, your car is looking great. Appears to be in alot better condition than mine.

David.

Wow that car is nice!! Yes I have the plate but it doesn't have the model. I will get more photos. I have a few more sets of the wheels but rusty conditions. Great to be here with people that are so knowledgeable towards their Buick. Well at least I can start determining what parts to go back on the car with an id for it now. Thank you I will start a build thread in the near future.

24 Buick

I looked at an unrestored  Sport Tourer  at Nambour a few years back,  with wire wheels.  Is this the same car.   The 128" wheelbase is the top of the line Buick.  There is also  a 120" wheelbase six cylinder  and a 109"  wheelbase  4 cylinder.  1924 is the last year of the 4 cylinder.   1924 was also the first year of  four wheel brakes.   I,m in Bundaberg and get down to Brisbane every so often so will look foreword to catch up with you.  I have a 1925 sport tourer.

Rod

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

Deceased estate he had a lot of Buick and Cadillac v8 tourer. So possibly yes same car. As I live 10mins from Nambour. Unfortunately the shed is full to brim with parts for over 10buicks and not to mention parts he accumulated and cars he had in the past. So trying to id parts to build the car before it's all gone forever. Yes I am interested to catch up.

16 minutes ago, 24 Buick said:

Deceased estate he had a lot of Buick and Cadillac v8 tourer. So possibly yes same car. As I live 10mins from Nambour. Unfortunately the shed is full to brim with parts for over 10buicks and not to mention parts he accumulated and cars he had in the past. So trying to id parts to build the car before it's all gone forever. Yes I am interested to catch up.

any idea of what sort of cad parts he had? there are a few I could use but it's a long way to Queensland

Yes so far this is the only car sold. Still has a similar condition 27 standard but is complete with all parts plus spares. I have purchased as a deal all associated 24 25 parts with the car. And basically they are putting all the parts they find with each car as a package due to the wishes of the will. Although we are talking two sheds and over ten cars. Hard to know what goes with what as there is at least three v8 cad blocks and a full spare motor. So rod I will have spare parts for you when I work out what I don't need

Edited by 24 Buick (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, 24 Buick said:

Yes so far this is the only car sold. Still has a similar condition 27 standard but is complete with all parts plus spares. I have purchased as a deal all associated 24 25 parts with the car. And basically they are putting all the parts they find with each car as a package due to the wishes of the will. Although we are talking two sheds and over ten cars. Hard to know what goes with what as there is at least three v8 cad blocks and a full spare motor

Don't suppose you had the engine numbers for the cad's engines? Hoping there is a 61

15 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

Don't suppose you had the engine numbers for the cad's engines? Hoping there is a 61

I will check the numbers but I know they won't sell seperatly due to the wishes of their father. But may get the number of whom buys it.

Just now, 24 Buick said:

I will check the numbers but I know they won't sell seperatly due to the wishes of their father. But may get the number of whom buys it.

Thanks mate, we might be able to work something out between the caddy guys if someone does get the totality of it

21 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

24 Buick:

I hope they have the top sockets for your car. It has been a real trial to find the correct ones for my 1925 Standard tourer. Any Standard top sockets????

That's my issue at the moment, assuming that there is a whole car plus spares he accumulated over a lifetime I would like to get them so I can build a car and not hunt parts for years when I could get them now. Do you have a photo of what sockets you are talking about. I've ordered a parts manual but won't be here for a few weeks.

24 Buick:

This is what the sizes are for my Standard. 592eca2d885d6_IMG_15401.thumb.JPG.1e093e66916fee2b9b37709de50b61bd.JPG

The top for my 1925 Master should be similar to your car. I can get photos of it when needed.

And the top mechanism is very similar to both series. The difference being that the rear of your car is narrower since it is a 4 passenger instead of a 5 passenger. The master parts book shows different #s for the rear bow.

This is the only plate or number I can find on the body and chassis. And it's blank. There is a different style plate on the spare cowl I got with the parts. It has a different shape and stamping on it. Also has a mounted horn on firewall. Am I missing these parts. I just noticed that the plate only indicates 1925 cars...

IMG_2390.JPG

24 Buick 

that engine in the car is a 25 engine,   1924 had the water pump support  bracket on the radiator side of the water pump.  1925 had the pump support behind the water pump.  So I think you have a 1925 - 55  Sport tourer.   I was surprised when you said it was a 24,  as I always understood it being a 25.

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ROD W said:

24 Buick 

that engine in the car is a 25 engine,   1924 had the water pump support  bracket on the radiator side of the water pump.  1925 had the pump support behind the water pump.  So I think you have a 1925 - 55  Sport tourer.   I was surprised when you said it was a 24,  as I always understood it being a 25.

I was thrown because the sale was advertised as a 

1924 master.

So welcome to the 1925 Buick fraternity! Now we have even more in common. Here is what the 1925-55 is to look like from period photos is Sage green. Of course these are left hand drive examples. I would think it would be a terror to work on the Starter Generator with the steering box on the right!

5930143101052_1925-55Front.thumb.jpg.6e9a94661e8c506b844c7f467dccecbe.jpg1925-55.thumb.jpg.996a46ca05bbe5006c5752ba899956f3.jpg3538570.jpg.caeeb7c44d654ee81619061643e12238.jpg5093526.jpg.cbf96025e0102baf12660419f35a3af1.jpg7256546.jpg.bbfce389a0c4cd1d1ca8ac807bb82521.jpg8885212.jpg.7e085f9f5d1643fe4537e96554c388ee.jpg

• Like 3

Not surprising that you have a 1925 with a different year wheels.  1925 was the first year for balloon tires, and the only year for 22" demountable rims.  New tires became non existent for a long time.  In the 60's, the owner of my car drove 150 miles in another car to find used 22" tires just to put the car on the road.      

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Anyone have an original side views of a 25 6 engine. I've searched around but hard to know what is correct. So I can go back and get correct manifold etc as most parts that weren't with a square intake got put with the 27 standard. Which seems shorter in the block. Also a front engine shot thanks for everyone's help so far I hope to start inventory this weekend and work out what's missing. Then keen to start the build