1901 CUrved Dash Olds Replica

Guest Bedwards

Guest Bedwards

Where so you find the serial number on these cars, I have one what to sell it, but can not find a serial number. 

Most of these are home built, not street legal and would not have a serial number. They were intended for parade use. If yours has a title then look all over it for the serial number. It could be anyplace. But look in easy to stamp places as it would have probably been assigned after the build by the BMV or State Patrol.

Actually most of the replicas were factory built by several major companies notably in Ft. Lauderdale and other places such as the Merry Olds..  They were massively used by the Shriners and built as early as the 50's (Bliss built in Canton, Ohio) and later on by at least three other companies. I did give my file on these replicas to our library and they may have some info but my RECOLLECTION is that most did not have serial numbers although some had engine serial numbers or a brass plate that was engraved.  I am pretty sure that none had any stamped serial number. 

There should be a lot of info on this forum from the past and on the web so Google and you will find out more.  If you know who built your car and it is factory we should have some literature at AACA to help you.  The cars are still in demand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvkW8dsqH84  Video Merry Olds 1901 Replica

This owner claims the Merry Olds came with serial numbers but he doesn't say where it's located.

This car was originally factory built by American Air Products Corp., of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida sometime between 1958 and 1962. The model was known as a “Merry Olds”and the serial number of this car is 390333. These replica cars were featured in the Sept. 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics Magazine, a copy in the photos.

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1902-curved-dash-oldsmobile-replica-merry-olds   - offered for sale at $4900

Here's where he got the serial number 1902 Curved dash Oldsmobile replica by Merry Olds1902 Curved dash Oldsmobile replica by Merry Olds

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Actually most of the replicas were factory built by several major companies notably in Ft. Lauderdale and other places such as the Merry Olds..  They were massively used by the Shriners and built as early as the 50's (Bliss built in Canton, Ohio) and later on by at least three other companies. I did give my file on these replicas to our library and they may have some info but my RECOLLECTION is that most did not have serial numbers although some had engine serial numbers or a brass plate that was engraved.  I am pretty sure that none had any stamped serial number. 

There should be a lot of info on this forum from the past and on the web so Google and you will find out more.  If you know who built your car and it is factory we should have some literature at AACA to help you.  The cars are still in demand.

Which replicas came in kit form and were assembled by the customer? I have seen them before in popular mechanics and other car magazines from late 1950's early 1960's.

The Bliss, Merry and the other two that I know of were only sold fully assembled to my knowledge.  The blue prints offered were for homebuilt models and I have no idea how many were made many but thousands of factory built units were made for the retail public, Shriners and in the early 70's Dairy Queen offered one as a promotion in all their stores. If you watch eBay far more of the factory built models are available with the Bliss being the most sought after as it is much more substantial.  I owned a Merry along with the real thing and also have a miniature motorized model called a Hallock Junior. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The Bliss, Merry and the other two that I know of were only sold fully assembled to my knowledge.  The blue prints offered were for homebuilt models and I have no idea how many were made many but thousands of factory built units were made for the retail public, Shriners and in the early 70's Dairy Queen offered one as a promotion in all their stores. If you watch eBay far more of the factory built models are available with the Bliss being the most sought after as it is much more substantial.  I owned a Merry along with the real thing and also have a miniature motorized model called a Hallock Junior. 

Thanks for the information Steve!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Ed, there are enough Neverout ( will be a lot most likely at "Hershey") lamps around to buy a set, will not be very cheap but would be what a real CDO would have.  I am pretty sure there isn't anyone manufacturing replica fenders but making a set would be a snap.  They are pretty simple to make.

I don't have any personal knowledge , in this discussion; but I just googled the following: I just copied the article.

The Bliss Company of Canton Ohio built 500 of these Curved Dash Olds Replicas in 1958 and 9. They are great, authentic, all steel bodied replicas of a 1903 Curved-Dash Oldsmobile. Featuring turn signals, electric start, lights, and tiller steering. One was assembled on the Dave Garroway "Today" Show in 1958. Powered by a freshly rebuilt 12 horsepower Cushman Husky engine , it will be the envy of your neighborhood. And what a magnificant parade vehicle it will make as well. Capable of speeds up to 35 mph with a two speed forward transmission. Working brass lamps and taillights. Since they are not kit cars, they are fully street legal.

http://www.significantcars.com/cars/1958oldsmobile/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the pics and spec of this replicas; the Bliss seems to "be much more substantial" as, Brass is Best, has quoted above.

The Bliss used a 12 HP Cushman engine. 

I admit, that is why I got interested enough to google something; as I saw the clutch assembly in a pic and immediately saw the Cushman heritage.

intimeold

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, Ed Steeber said:

Hershey? Is that a web site? This is what I have and as you can see I need the left side head light....Also a side mirror.....I found someone who can make me the fenders. My Serial number is VOS-212-R can you tell me about it?

240096508_4359647027422647_6213549255933368045_n.jpg.39d115514b3e370ce076fd3df9b8de4b.jpg

Ed, Hershey is the world's largest antique automobile flea market. It is run by they Hershey Region of AACA. If you do a little looking around here on the forum you'll find plenty of info. A google search will also give you lots of info. Search also for the Hershey Region AACA website for tons of detail. Its coming up pretty soon in early Oct. 

The lamps on this vehicle were originally created by the manufacturer and were just replicas of old brass automobile lamps. From your photo, I cant see the one you still have so am unable to determine what you actually have on the car. It is possible someone has replaced an original pair with one genuine automobile lamp. Detailed photos might help confirm what you have so you'll know what to search for.

Terry

Besides having several real CDO's I did own one of these things made in Fort Lauderdale.  Shriners and others bought a lot.  The one I had came from a local Dairy Queen promotion.  Great for parades but they would wear tires out in a heartbeat if you drove them much.  As I said, you can probably pick up a set of Neverouts that would look good on your car...eBay has some but at the event In Hershey there will be more than a few available I am sure.  As to miror...just find something that will work as CDO's never came in your body style or with a mirror. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Terry Bond said:

Ed, Hershey is the world's largest antique automobile flea market. It is run by they Hershey Region of AACA. If you do a little looking around here on the forum you'll find plenty of info. A google search will also give you lots of info. Search also for the Hershey Region AACA website for tons of detail. Its coming up pretty soon in early Oct. 

The lamps on this vehicle were originally created by the manufacturer and were just replicas of old brass automobile lamps. From your photo, I cant see the one you still have so am unable to determine what you actually have on the car. It is possible someone has replaced an original pair with one genuine automobile lamp. Detailed photos might help confirm what you have so you'll know what to search for.

Terry

239961235_4359647170755966_3972855346187714360_n.jpg.2e376804ba3d5699ca2a5d6dd3cafe42.jpg239961235_4359647170755966_3972855346187714360_n.jpg.2e376804ba3d5699ca2a5d6dd3cafe42.jpg

• Like 1

As I thought - the lamps on your car are the ones that were "created" by the company that made your car.  They are replica lamps and not genuine antique automobile brass lamps.   You would need to find the missing lamp or replace them with others.  As has been suggested, the small Neverout lamps are not difficult to find and could be used.  Hershey is the best source.  They often turn up on ebay so take a look and see what's there.  That bit of research will let you figure out how much to spend.  Be sure the lamps are complete though.  There is a small base that clips into place to hold the oil container. That base is often missing.

Terry

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

I have one here in Washington State with a serial # and wanting to sell but I need a left side head light  do yo know where I can find one?

My guess is that there are no correct parts available replica.  Each manufacturer had their own a and I do not believe any are still in business.  Someone tried to start reproducing them again but it appears they did not survive.   There are small lights for sale on Ebay, etc.  Many were used on motorcycles and bikes of the era and would be about the right size. You just need to find a matched set.  If you Google CDO replicas you will see many different lights.

• 4 months later...

There is a for sale section. That's where your ad needs to be instead of adding it ti every thread you think might be related.

Terry