1922 Buick model 54 Roadster florence SC craigslist

NOT MINE
REPOSTED FROM CRAIGSLIST

https://florencesc.craigslist.org/cto/5942789526.html

1922 Buick roadster model 54 runs; started to restore, but have another car to do plus more.
Frame was sandblasted primed and painted, all body parts are done and primed.

Asking $5,500 Call at 802-881-1030 or email. Car is in timmonsville sc

00D0D_1hZOME59g6E_1200x900.jpg

00707_lEY30cTHnXy_1200x900.jpg

I had inquired about this car last year. He sent me some more photos and a video with it running.  I was told by another forum member that the car is pretty much a mix and match of parts. Also many sport roadster specific parts are not there. Such as correct steering wheel, nickeled radiator shell, steering column. Visor missing etc. Not all parts that are there are consistent with what is to be found on a Sport roadster. The only factory 1922 photo I have seen does not show a nickeled windshield stanchion and no wind wings. I believe the ad below is for the 1923-54. Still a great project for the price. The wire wheels are a definite plus.

I am still chasing that elusive Sport roadster or Sport touring. The other photo is of the one that got away in 2011that the deal fell thru because it was not running.

1923-Catalog-6-54_Roadster.jpg23-13.jpg

Someone ignorant of the specific parts and deviations from originality is going to buy that car, finish it, and run the wheels off with a great big grin. And all the experts will sit with a furrowed brow wondering why that guy is so happy.

But it won't be the first time. I have heard that story a few times.

Bernie

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Someone ignorant of the specific parts and deviations from originality is going to buy that car, finish it, and run the wheels off with a great big grin. And all the experts will sit with a furrowed brow wondering why that guy is so happy.

But it won't be the first time. I have heard that story a few times.

Bernie

You got that right. And the experts will die saying "would have, could have, should have" without ever enjoying such a car.

• Like 2

I have a 1921 Buick Roadster for sale. I am assisting an older man in finding homes for some of his cars. What I know about the car is that the engine is on a cast iron block, has a Marvel E Carburetor, 4 Main Bearings, Multiple Disc Clutch, Free Floating Rear Axle, Mechanical Brakes, Sliding Gear Transmission, and Floor Shift Controls. It is on display in a private museum-like setting. 

Best regards,
John P. Roy
(706) 829-5276
jpernoroy@gmail.com

P1020338.JPG

P1020339.JPG

P1020340.JPG

• Like 1

Larry,  now that you mention it.  I didn,t  think t the 54 sport roadster came out until 1923.  When you enquired about the car did the seller say if it was the longer wheelbase.  But looking back through my Photo,s I found some of a 22 - 54 and  22 - 55,  so  Buick must have  brought out  the sport roadster and sport tourer  in 22

John,  You should start a new  thread for that car.  It looks like a 4 cylinder.  Including a price would be a good idea.

P1020338.JPG.60d176b05a49369393cf29c0c85ae03f.JPG

1126_main_l.jpg

366878-Sport22pg1.jpg

If I get a chance, I think I will go back out to the place tomorrow where the car is stored in order to take some better pictures. I need to do a little more research on this car so I can sound halfway intelligent about it (which I am not at this time). By next week I should be ready to go with an ad for it. Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a Roadster available. Once I get some better photos I will ask you guys to tell me a little about it from your perspective as experts. 

Best regards,
John

Rod,

The 22-54 was introduced at the January 1922 auto show  and the 22-55 was introduced in May of 1922.

My car #856901, was the 101st or the 201st 55 built in 1922 The pic of the 22 was part of a 3 page flyer

for the car in May 22  The original is from Dave Chambers, his notations are in the upper right.

Larry,   The 22-54 had wind wings, the 55 did not, the wire wheels were standard on the 54, wood was standard on the 55.

Good luck with your search. The 23 models would be easier to find.

John

1922-6-55

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what make the wire wheels are.  They look like Buffalo, but not sure.  I have a set of #5 Buffalo wire wheel parts, hubs and caps, for a similar year Buick.  I am curious if Buick also used Houk wire wheels.  I am also assuming that the tire size would be 23" for this Buick?

Al

John,  If I understand the "Wire Wheel Corp." from a historical perspective, they produced several types of wire wheels to include the Buffalo dental drive, and the Houk pin drive.  I have never seen the pin drive wire wheels on a Buick but I am sure they were installed.  The Buffalo style were a bit cleaner to look at and probably less prone to wear as long as the nut was kept tight.  I need to study late teens and early 20's Buick as I am not really very familiar.  Could you post a picture of your Buick with Disc wheels?

Al

1930 LaSalle Roadster

Al,

I don't have a pic of it with the disc only with the standard 23" wood, I do have a pic of a 23-55 with the disc wheels,

I will try to post asap. The wheel catalog I have shows a Buffalo B5/72, 32x4.5  on 22-23 models 54&55.

John

22-6-55 Sport Touring

and all of a sudden the all too familiar  

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)     appears

On 1/12/2017 at 4:53 PM, motoringicons said:

"would have, could have, should have"

Does anyone know if Houk and Buffalo were each used on a particular Model and year Buick or could either design be used on any model or year Buick?  The thought of disc wheels on a Buick is interesting also.  I thought that Studebaker, Dodge and Nash (later Chevrolet) were the primary users of Disc wheels.  Wheels can and do very much set the visual appearance for the cars we choose to invest money in.  Of course our personal taste also plays a big roll.

Al

Hello Larry,

The disc wheels make a rather formal looking touring car.....not bad.  I am surprised as I had thought the disc wheels would be more like a Nash, Studebaker or Dodge.  Those makes used a wheel that had a removable lock ring to hold the tire on.  Do you know, is this disc wheel type very common for a Buick?

Al

Al.

The wheels are listed in the Master Parts book. Over the years there were several unfinished 1923-55 Sport touring cars that came up for sale in the BCA Buick Bugle. Several had the Truarc disks. Surviving cars usually have wood or wire wheels. It is somewhat rare to find disks on Buicks. I particularly like the looks on the 1929 cars as shown below of Bill McLaughlin's 29 Roadster(much like the Packard disks). Photo from the 2013 Pre War after tour.

LarryDSCF2461.JPG

• 2 weeks later...