Mice

nick8086

They come inside looking for somewhere warm at this time of year. So set your traps and bait stations. Check the traps every couple of days and the bait stations weekly. Food is harder to find now so they will like your bait.

They like Crunchy peanut butter, not smooth. The bait must be fairly fresh. If slugs find it and slime over it, throw in out and put out fresh bait.

I go through this every year else they find a way to get into the ceiling. I have no idea where but they do get in. So I have bait stations at each end of the house and beside the shed. When I was less conscientious I also had to put bait inside the shed and in the ceiling because they had already got in. I check my stations every 10 days (I have a reminder on my email calendar).

This also is aimed at rats and mustelids. That way, we get some of our native birds fledging. We have no native rodents or other mammals (only one bat) so the birds have no defense mechanisms and the eggs and chicks get eaten.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

They come inside looking for somewhere warm at this time of year. So set your traps and bait stations. Check the traps every couple of days and the bait stations weekly. Food is harder to find now so they will like your bait.

They like Crunchy peanut butter, not smooth. The bait must be fairly fresh. If slugs find it and slime over it, throw in out and put out fresh bait.

I go through this every year else they find a way to get into the ceiling. I have no idea where but they do get in. So I have bait stations at each end of the house and beside the shed. When I was less conscientious I also had to put bait inside the shed and in the ceiling because they had already got in. I check my stations every 10 days (I have a reminder on my email calendar).

This also is aimed at rats and mustelids. That way, we get some of our native birds fledging. We have no native rodents or other mammals (only one bat) so the birds have no defense mechanisms and the eggs and chicks get eaten.

very interesting. 

Alabama has only one marsupial, the Opossum. 

Yeah, we have possums too. Australian Ringtail possums. They are killing our native bush and they also eat bird's eggs. They love the top leaves in the forest giants and eat them all, killing the tree. Funnily enough, in many areas of Australia they are becoming rare. We would love to send them back - surely they would like 40 million of them - for free? We need a Pied Piper of Possums.

cats can help but of course they kill lots of birds too.Cotton balls with a drop of peppermint oil seems to be working in my old roll top desk which has twice been invaded by the little bastards. there was a 5 foot long rat snake living in my shop/barn  but he has probably been run over  as I have not seen him for a few years and the mouse population seems to be increasing. Glad to hear  you have crunchy peanut butter in New Zealand. Travel there is now definitely on my bucket list 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, JACK M said:

I use dryer sheets with what I have to assume is some success.

My daughter however tells me that her mice tears them up and make nests out of them.

At minimum it makes the car smell spring fresh.

I had that happen myself, put in dryer sheets in they made a nest out of one of them.  Mothballs smell up the car but they have worked for me, don't forget the trunk and under the hood.