It is time to think about car storage for the winter..

nick8086

Funny how different things are geographically. Here in the desert things are just starting to cool down (96 degrees today) so we can start bringing our non air conditioned vintage cars out to enjoy them!  :lol: 

Guest AlCapone

Funny how different things are geographically. Here in the desert things are just starting to cool down (96 degrees today) so we can start bringing our non air conditioned vintage cars out to enjoy them! :lol:

e

Yes indeed where you live makes a difference! Here in Ontario, Canada we had frost last night ! We have indeed got frost on the pumpkins so to speak! I will check the antifreeze levels in all my cars today. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

The best and least costly trap I know of is a 5 gal. bucket with water & RV antifreeze in the bottom & a plastic soda bottle on an axle laid across the top opening.  Put peanut butter around the middle of the bottle and a ramp for the mouse to get to the tapered end of the bottle.  The mouse will fall off the rotating bottle and drown as the trap resets itself to catch more rodents.

post-84993-0-48782200-1444926229_thumb.g

• Like 1

Last year my wife stopped mouse droppings in the cupboard. I picked up four Tom Cat bait boxes at Tractor Supply, put two in the house and two in the garage. Haven't seen mice or those cake sprinkles since. Got some new ones last week.

Bernie

Being in Ontario Canada this time of year makes me very unhappy. Put my 72 Satelitte project away last week.  Boat today and my Avanti next week. Need to make sure I get some more fresh dryer sheets and Irish Spring. Dont forget to stuff something in the tailpipes

Guest AlCapone

Our local prediction is for heavy frost and two inches of snow Tomorrow overnight! Kiss summer goodbye I guess ! Wayne

Correction, they now predict 7 to 8 inches tonight! Wayne

Ps. The horses are not happy!

Guest AlCapone

They are predicting rain with a rapid feeze up here tonight and tomorrow night with a low of 22 and 19.  Way too early. I haven't seen it that cold this early in over 20 years.  Hello road salt.  You know they will put it down just to practice even if they don't need it.

We had about 3 inches of snow when I got up this morning and about an inch and a half of salt. I wish the damn stuff was not so cheap! Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Lightly snowing now in London Ontario but melting. Soon be time to get the Grand Cherokee on the road and put the RWD Genesis away. It's too early for this![/

Ed. The road was closed st Strathroy ( 402 ) and Grandbend ( 21 ) for an hour earlier today. Wayne

Something else to consider with long-term storage of a vehicle with a manual transmission. I have a piece of tubing going from the clutch pedal to a board in front of the seat cushion. The rod is long enought to depress the clutch pedal. The board protects the seat. This prevents the clutch disc from sticking to the flywheel. This is a problem in humid climates. I do it year 'round, not just in winter. I leave the trans in neutral and block the tires.

We are lucky here in central Texas in that our winters are rather mild when compared to the rest of the country. Our summers, on the other hand, can be quite uncomfortable. Like our friend in Palm Springs, prefer winter driving.

(o{}o)

Lightly snowing now in London Ontario but melting. Soon be time to get the Grand Cherokee on the road and put the RWD Genesis away. It's too early for this![/

Ed. The road was closed st Strathroy ( 402 ) and Grandbend ( 21 ) for an hour earlier today. Wayne

OH not already!! Yikes! I need to move to Arizona. I was planning on going to Sarnia to look at a car this weekend, but it got cancelled, glad it did or I would have been on the 402

They are predicting rain with a rapid feeze up here tonight and tomorrow night with a low of 22 and 19.  Way too early. I haven't seen it that cold this early in over 20 years.  Hello road salt.  You know they will put it down just to practice even if they don't need it. 

Where is "up here"?  We're just now entering the best weather seasons "down here" in Florida.

Cheers,

Grog

We had a few snow flakes here in SE Michigan on Saturday.  I bought one of these last year and used it last winter to protect my car while in the unheated barn.  It worked out really well.....kept out the dust, bird poop, any roof leaks and best of all, no rodents.  It is not environmentally controlled but keeps a constant air exchange going so, while it won't stop the condensation on those spring humid days that follow a cold period, it will quickly dry things back off as the air-to-car body temperature difference decreases. Not as cheap as a mouse trap but does a nicer job protecting your car.

http://carcapsule.com/

Scott

That trap reminds me of a friend who passed away a few years ago. He tried everything to rid his yard of squirrels. Finally he used a Have-A-Heart trap to catch them. Once trapped he took them, in the trap, into his old store walled cellar and, in the light from a single incandescent bulb, hanging over a stone laundry tub, he would drown the squirrels still in the trap. I always wanted to get a picture of that.

Bernie