Posts with political overtones will be deleted

MrEarl

Aren't "undertones" the lower colors on two or three-tone paint jobs?

It's well known that Hollywood actors and others drove Buicks in the 1940s and thereabouts, but how many politicians, past/present/future had Buicks?  I remember many Fords, Oldsmobiles, Lincolns, and a few Chryslers, but Buicks?  Curious minds exist?

There is ALSO an Internet Movie Database (Imdb) for CARS!  What cars were in what movie/tv show episode, whether as "main players" or "background".  Check it out!

NTX5467 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's okay, kemosabe, I'm 1/32 Chippewa.

Speaking of which...

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'Gitche Gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

November 10, 1975

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SpecialEducation said:

It's okay, kemosabe, I'm 1/32 Chippewa.

Speaking of which...

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'Gitche Gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

November 10, 1975

Gordon Lightfoot is awesome... but now this song is stuck in my head

Jay Silverheels owned a tire shop and turquoise jewellery store in town. I hung out there some in the early 1970's. It was the old Shamrock gas station before he got it so I guess it was OK for a Mick like me to hang around, nuthin political though.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpecialEducation said:

29_SpeedoCadillacs.JPG.FP

Well, they ARE rockin' the bow-ties...

Just another service I provide.  You are welcome.

If you don't know the lyrics, here they are: :D

Now they up and call me Speedoo,
But my real name is Mister Earl.
All for meetin' brand-new fellows
And for takin' other folks' girls.

'Cause I don't believe in wastin' time.
'Cause I don't believe in wastin' time.
Now I've known some pretty women
And I thought that would change their minds.

Well, now, some they call me Joe.
Some they call me Moe.
Best man is Speedoo;
He don't never take it slow.

Now they're gonna call me Speedoo,
Till they call off makin' pretty girls.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Jay Silverheels owned a tire shop and turquoise jewellery store in town. I hung out there some in the early 1970's. It was the old Shamrock gas station before he got it so I guess it was OK for a Mick like me to hang around, nuthin political though.

Bernie

As many hijacks as this thread has had, maybe it needs another...

I know Jay Silverheels son, Steve. Here is a 2009 local newspaper story about him.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20091017/son-of-american-indian-actor-lives-a-spiritual-calling-in-wilmington

Good article on Mr. Silverheels. You'll get a smile out of him if you mention Brockport. His brother in law, Lou and I did a lot of car stuff back then. I'm smiling about all the things I can't write.

There is a pretty good cruise night over in Akron, on the south side of the Seneca reservation. I take a run over there a few times every year, I always remember my favorite Seneca Princess when I take the drive.

Bernie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

'Tonto' is Spanish for 'fool'.

'Keemosabee' is the English phonetic for 'Quien no sabe' , which Spanish for "He who does not know"

Es verdad. Yo soy seguro.

In the Johnny Depp movie about the Lone Ranger, in which he plays Tonto, Tonto says that Keemosabee stand for "wrong brother."  In the beginning of the movie, the actual Texas Ranger was shot and his brother dawned the mask and took the badge.  :huh:  Not a particularly good movie but it had a few good one-liners.

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Tonto?

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

'Tonto' is Spanish for 'fool'.

'Keemosabee' is the English phonetic for 'Quien no sabe' , which Spanish for "He who does not know"

Es verdad. Yo soy seguro.

1. Tonto,  don't listen to paleface from across the big muddy. he full of Buffalo dung

2.  I'll buy that 

3.  Do and you will clean it up. 

image.jpeg

Tonto, why you have bird on your head?

Tonto keep posts Buick related Kemosabe

image.jpeg

Kemosabe, is your hand ever going to heal so you can get back to work 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RivNut said:

In the Johnny Depp movie about the Lone Ranger, in which he plays Tonto, Tonto says that Keemosabee stand for "wrong brother."  In the beginning of the movie, the actual Texas Ranger was shot and his brother dawned the mask and took the badge.  :huh:  Not a particularly good movie but it had a few good one-liners.

image.jpeg

An interesting aside related to the direction this topic has take: At a meeting a couple of days ago I mentioned that a programmer I use has returned Indian and we are working through a NAS. So a fully grown man looks at me seriously and asks "What do they call the people who live in India?"

I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Bernie

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

"wrong brother" es no correcto

Just now, RivNut said:

"wrong bother" es correcto in the film that I quoted.

I was sure that you were quoting the movie. 

I was just having fun with Spanish. From 2009-2011 I worked at a place where Spanish was spoken all day long everyday. I miss my Spanish sppeaking friends. 

But, those captions are Greek to me !

Decades channel is based upon "binges" of the 1950s and 1960s tv shows.  Buzzr is the game shows from the 1950s and 1960s. 

This week, Decades is doing "Peter Gunn".  Watching those old "What's My LIne" and "I've Got A Secret" replays are interesting, both in content and just how far tv shows had progressed by even 1965.  Neat to see the old "stars" of those shows, which I didn't understand (at that time) what made those game show regulars worthy of being on those shows (other than being New Yorkers or from that region, at a time when anything "big city" was better than other stuff).

If you go to the "Old Tucson" movie sets and tourist attraction, you'll see many of the mountains which were in those old western shows.  When I became aware that many of those westerns were shot out there, it became obvious as those mountains in the distance were the same in many movies/western shows.

Enjoy the old black and white tv shows!  Seeing what they could get away with doing back then, compared to modern times, is amazing.  Kind of like Alex and the horse in "Blazing Saddles".  An interesting and funny story about how they got that movie "past the sensors", back then!  AND, of course, seeing them usually results in some neat cars we haven't seen in quite some time (where the IMCDB comes in handy.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

TVLand shows daily episodes of Gunsmoke.   I grew up out there in Kansas and I know a couple of things  for sure.  Unlike the "set," Dodge City is just about a flat as the proverbial pancake.  The actual location for shooting the sow was somewhere in the mountains of southern Utah. But everyone bought i to it and the show ran on television  for 20 years.

Kind of like buying a car. Until you see it in person, it just ain't the same.

13 minutes ago, RivNut said:

TVLand shows daily episodes of Gunsmoke.   I grew up out there in Kansas and I know a couple of things  for sure.  Unlike the "set," Dodge City is just about a flat as the proverbial pancake.  The actual location for shooting the sow was somewhere in the mountains of southern Utah. But everyone bought i to it and the show ran on television  for 20 years.

Kind of like buying a car. Until you see it in person, it just ain't the same.

When we moved from Michigan to Kansas, we kids expected Gunsmoke/Dodge City. Major disappointment. 

Back on topic (sorta)... while everyone else was watching election results Tuesday night, I was watching Gunsmoke!

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)