Corvair Van Love

hullinger

Chris,

Great video !

I owned a 1962 Greenbrier Factor Camper - never should have sold it.

Recently I photographed a very rare double rampside van - one of (3) made !

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

A friends family bought one, new, to transport the older brother, who  had muscular dystrophy. They allowed the younger brother, my friend, to drive it when they didn't need it. We kinda abused the thing, but it never broke. 

Now, on to another pet peeve. Number 764 on my list. It isn't masonary, it's masonry. Pronounced mason-ree

There were two versions of the Corvair pickup, one was the Rampside (for obvious reasons) while the other was a Loadside that had rear tailgate only and no side ramp.   I have no idea why a new truck buyer would want a Loadside instead of a Rampside and production numbers showed the same.  Rampside production was something like 13,786 while Loadside was less than 1/10th at 2,844.   Check out this camper version of a Rampside without the ramp.

Chris

Dan Davis Scamper.JPG

On 10/3/2016 at 8:45 PM, hullinger said:

@CountryTravler, I just noticed your from Dodge City Vintage.  Take a look at this truck I just recently passed onto its new caretaker.  Any connection???

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

Not us. Do you have any other info on the truck? Dodge City in Canada maybe?

Bought a Greenbriar for a trip (Portland to El Paso area and back, me. wife and two small kids)...was really nice, would've kept it except wife was spooky about not having any crush metal ahead of us...

Rear end seemed just a touch possibly unstable on 60-65MPH freeway curves; didn't think about rear stabilizers until after left, but don't know if vans suffered the rear wheel foldup the sedans did or was just my (remembering the foldups) imagination....

• 3 weeks later...

Great Video!! Glad you are able to enjoy such a sweet ride.:) I don't own a GreenBrier but reaaallllly like my '62 Rampy. I get a lot of looks from people as most of them hink it is a custom truck and don't realize it was a produced from 1961 to 1964....:P

Cheers!!

On 10/30/2016 at 9:41 AM, JACK M said:

I somehow cant imagine that wrecker version being very practical.

I have owned a few Corvairs over the years. Fun rigs. I would love to stumble across a nice Spyder vert again.

I had 2 Spiders in my time. Even got pulled over for street racing and the cop would not give me a drag racing ticket because he said that he would have laughed out of court. Wrote me a defective equipment ticket. HEHE

007.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

On 10/30/2016 at 2:25 PM, countrytravler said:

I had 2 Spiders in my time. Even got pulled over for street racing and the cop would not give me a drug racing ticket because he said that he would be laughed out of court. Wrote me a defective equipment ticket. HEHE

A few weeks ago a buddy took me out in his Corvair coupe with the 180 HP turbo engine.  He wasn't gentle with the car and I was wildly impressed by how strong a runner that car was.  A real screamer and easily held a sustained 6K RPM.  As a comparison, I had a '63 Biscayne with a stock 283, 195 horsepower, 2 barrel and Powerglide and it had identical acceleration to a Corvair with a 110 engine and Powerglide.  

Chris

I always considered the Mystery Machine to be a Chevy van.  The Scooby-Doo show came out in 1969 and I think the artist was sure to make the van design nondescript.  You'll see however current day recreations of the Mystery Machine made from each of the makes - Ford, Chevy, Dodge and WV. 

th-1.jpeg

th.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Built right the Corvair Van can be quite the workhorse. Pictured here, our 1964 four speed with oversize GM brakes, 3:89 posi axle mated up with a 1966 Corsa 140/4 Single Rochester’s, dome pistons, total seal rings, stainless steel valves, otto oil pan and valve covers, external oil cooler, electronic ignition, alcohol injection, RAM air and dual Clark’s Tuned Extractor Exhaust system produced 235 BHP @ 4500 RPMs and towed our 61 back and forth to auto shows all over the northeast without issues. True… top speed was 72 MPH, steep hills were 50 MPH and towing I think we got 12 MPG but it never left me stranded, and the rubber necking traffic in the passing lane was worth every mile. My only regret.. was selling that van. I wish I knew where it was today. Last seen 1989, somewhere in or around Wingate North Carolina with Everett Smith. Glad I kept the 61
Read more at http://barnfinds.com/custom-1962-corvair-rampside-flatbed/#9SCRYx2jPt1b22Kg.99

64W61.jpg