Repairing pinhole in Vacuum Tank ?

30DodgePanel

Solder would be my first choice if it is only a pinhole. Depending on the size of the hole I would also use silver solder. If the tank is fairly solid I would TIG weld the hole with Silicone Bronze filler wire. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't like repairing things with JB Weld.

• Like 1

I would get the piece tin or zinc plated first by a plating shop, this will reveal any other likely holes, then just solder the holes up. The solder will also stick better to the fresh plating. Alternative get your local radiator shop to clean it in their tanks and solder the holes for you.

Viv.

Might be more incipient rust throughs but take them one at a time. Clean around the hole to bright metal, lightly dimple and fill with 60/40 solder. If cosmetics are important fill the dimple slightly proud and file to flush. End of leak.................Bob

No. It is not something you can learn from reading a post on the internet. It takes practice especially working on old thin metal.

Not exactly a vacuum tank but here is my favorite video of lead work or body solder. Bill 'the leadslinger' Hines demonstrates. "I learned how to do this in 1941 George". Gives you an idea of what is involved.

I would first apply paint remover to the tank, then submerge it into a mixture of one part molasses and nine parts of water.

After about a week or two, pressure wash, or scrub with a brush under running water, and blow it dry imeaditly. It will be nothing but bare steel at that point.

At this point you are ready to brush on tinning paste to the bad area and soldier up the hole with a soldering iron.

You will have to paint it that same day so that rust will not reappear.

• Like 1

TurboTorch 0386-0403 STK-9 Dual Fuel Torch

I have a "Turbo Torch" which is a plumber's torch. Only use propane for soldering, don't want too hot.

Use the hotter MAPP gas in the yellow bottle for brazing.

Anyone who's not brazed this way might want to try it, it's easy, comes in convenient for brazing thin metal. Flux coated brazing rod, no need to apply flux to the subject piece.

They sell these at places like Home Depot and good hardware stores.

http://www.amazon.com/TurboTorch-0386-0403-STK-9-Dual-Torch/dp/B0006519QI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475162082&sr=8-4&keywords=turbotorch+kit

http://victortechnologies.com/turbotorch/products/prodList.html?brand=TTT&W2Code=TTT200500&W3Code=TTT302200&W4Code=&W5Code=&W6Code=