Selling Titles

Guest cpmaraziti

Selling titles is not against the law. Using a title to register a vehicle by changing the numbers on the vehicle and using the numbers from the purchased title is illegal. I see titles offered at many swap meets and if you go to Hershey you will see them for sale. Most vendors will post a disclaimer sign saying that "titles are not to be used to register a car, for collecting purposes only". There are a couple on E-Bay now.

Guest cpmaraziti

I have some titles to vehicles I've never heard of before: DAF, Humberhawk, Hupmobile, Rehberger, Wartburg, Checker Cab.  Maybe I will find picture to match and frame with the titles.

I just had to look up some of those cars in a book that I have, thats about 2" thick, and has every car ever made. The DAF was produced in the Netherlands between 1958 and 1975. DAF stands for Van Doornes Automobielfabriek NV. Don't ask me, thats what it states. There is a Humber listed but not a Humberhawk. Hupmobile is common. Rehberger is not listed. There are two listings for Wartburg's  one between 1898 and 1904 and the other in 1956. Checkers were the taxi cab of choice in New York City for years. Hard to believe but the book states that there were almost 5000 different brands produced over the years. Quite a collection.

Guest cpmaraziti

Thanks for the info. I looked up the Humber Hawk on Google and it lists it as a British car produced from 1945 to 1961. The Rehberger tuned out to be a truck built in Newark NJ from 1923 to 1938; pretty interesting.

ebay doesnt allow the selling of titles- but they are for sale on there daily.........................huh?

Unless your titles are like those Matt mentioned-they dont generally hold great value. I have a collection of close to 4000 and the 32 ford roadster is about the most desired. they bring around a 1000. bucks

Fords are the most in demand, followed by chevy and the rest-yawn..............

I do have 2 Duesenberg titles, and they are special to me and will never find another Im sure-but you still have to keep on trying!

Guest cpmaraziti

I do have a 32 Ford Coup Model B, I'm guessing that's not the Roadster. I'm really enjoying looking into the history of some of the cars and how they were extremely popular for a while and then something new comes along and sales drop like a rock.

Guest cpmaraziti

Any thoughts on the possible interest of a car museum in old titles? I have about 5,000 of them from my Father-in-Laws junk yard closed down I 1965 for the construction of a NJ highway. Titles date back to the early 20's.

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop
20 hours ago, cpmaraziti said:

Any thoughts on the possible interest of a car museum in old titles? I have about 5,000 of them from my Father-in-Laws junk yard closed down I 1965 for the construction of a NJ highway. Titles date back to the early 20's.

Wowzers! I had no idea...

My earlier remark was based on the fact that in the Great State of oHIo* the laws were recently changed and these changes suggest that... Well, let me put it this way:  Somebody needs a bit more bran in their diet.

*Round on the ends and high in the middle

If you pass along vehicle title(s) either by donation or sale - if those title(s) are used to register a vehicle by creating a serial number to match the one on the title - you are potentially liable for civil and/or criminal fraud.

The only monetary value a vehicle title has is not as an " historical document " but as an illegal way to register a vehicle that has no title.

Jim

On 9/30/2016 at 3:34 PM, cpmaraziti said:

1 hour ago, cpmaraziti said:

Maybe I'll just keep them for myself or possibly destroy them.

Donate them to a museum with the written stipulation they cannot be passed along & used to register vehicles.

Jim

• Like 1

There is no criminal liability attached to selling a title just like it is not a crime to remove a VIN. It only becomes a criminal act if the title is used to defraud. Same with a VIN. The seller of a title would not be liable unless he were knowingly involved in a conspiracy to defraud. Titles are sold all the time and they do sometimes have value aside from the obvious. Personally I would love to own a Duesenberg title if only for the conversational value.

There is no criminal liability attached to selling a title just like it is not a crime to remove a VIN. It only becomes a criminal act if the title is used to defraud. Same with a VIN. The seller of a title would not be liable unless he were knowingly involved in a conspiracy to defraud. Titles are sold all the time and they do sometimes have value aside from the obvious. Personally I would love to own a Duesenberg title if only for the conversational value.

x2!

I collect them and trade them like baseball cards................... nothing illegal about it.

almost like saying, if you sell a bottle of wine and someone has a car accident and dies, you are responsible-totally ridiculous!

mercer09 is absolutely correct. Don't let all these "armchair attorneys" frighten you into believing their nonsense of any liability on your part. There is none. 

Car titles change hands EVERY SINGLE DAY on eBay. If there was any legal issue eBay would be the first to ban sales. They don't, so you're OK. 

Good luck with your sale.

Just put them  in the safe. gift them to the family.. They would love to see what your family own..  "memories"

I think we have a stack also..

I just looked at a box of old stuff.. I kept everything.. 

I have

motorcycles
surfing
stereo
Packard
Studebaker

Kaiser

Buick

Mopar

Baseball cards..

Postcards..

Stuff and etc.. I Never got rid of any thing..

IMG_2311.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I operate a major swap meet event in Ohio. A few years ago the county auditor from this area stopped by to walk through our event, because he likes old cars. Soon I saw on-duty sheriff deputy cruisers pulling in, and learned that they were there to seize titles from a vendor who was selling them, at the specific orders of the auditor. The auditor told me it was strictly illegal to sell titles, but the vendor protested that it was perfectly legal, as long as they were being sold for collector purposes. 

After a few days, the titles had been returned to the vendor, and he had them back up for sale at our next event. The auditor doesn't like it, and says it shouldn't be allowed, but there is nothing he can do about it...as long as they are being sold as collectibles. 

Finally, ANY time ANYONE does anything with the intent to defraud someone else, they are subject to prosecution from the law. IF someone takes a title and uses it to misrepresent a car's identity or authentic ownership, he or she will certainly face criminal prosecution if they are caught. The key is committing fraud, or conspiring to commit fraud, as I understand it.  

• Like 1

I like the story about the auditor and the cruisers; out there saving the world from evil. Were caffeine and doughnut sugar contributors to this incident?

I bought my Mother a car that had two of the title numbers transposed and asked a couple of friends to take it down to the Daley Plaza DMV and get it fixed. The game warden overheard and called it in.

The problem is it makes it difficult for many activities in order to prevent fraudulent activities.  Juggling titles and VIN to turn a generic car into something more valuable should not be allowed.  However, there should be a way for someone who spends many years collecting parts to be able to put them together and be able to enjoy it on the road.  From what I know about a reconstructed title is you need titles and receipts for significant donors in order to apply for a special title.  For many reasons, that is not always possible as the time passes unless you knew from the beginning that was your goal and keep good records.  There should be a special class of reconstructed titles that provides a process of building a vehicle from parts and not necessarily one that matches anything original.  Of course a reconstructed title has a negative effect on value and that is the key.  These titles would clearly indicate that the subject vehicle has no value except what the seller and buyer agree upon.  The title also declares that the subject vehicle meets the vehicle requirements of a certain age.  I'm not familiar with PA Hot Rod registration, does it allow building your own car or do you need to start with a valid original title and VIN?

The whole point behind all this title madness, is the government's attempts to stop (or at least reduce) car theft. We've all heard about "chop shops" and other fraudulent operations which deal in stolen cars and/or parts. Many of these places steal cars, then alter VIN's and/or titles, and resell them in another state. And surely NO ONE cares more about clamping down on car thieves than people like all of us, who love cars. The trouble comes in when laws which were intended to hinder criminal activity bring unfair restrictions to prudent citizens who are merely trying to pursue a legitimate hobby. 

I am an involved member of SEMA, and I have met with government officials on more than one occasion to try and get them to enact legislation which is friendly to car collecting, and to NOT support new bills which make it rough for car folks. Once I even testified before the Ohio Congressional Transportation Committee, regarding titles and registrations of collector vehicles. The representatives that were on that committee that day were very surprised to learn that the car hobby is so large, and that the industry which supports and supplies the hobby employs so many people right here in Ohio. They had no idea that some of the laws here in Ohio are MUCH tougher on car collectors than they are on car thieves. They seemed like nice and intelligent people, but they knew NOTHING about us, and our wants and needs as legitimate citizens pursuing appropriate hobbies. 

If you belong to a car club, insist that your car club join SEMA's SAN (SEMA ACTION NETWORK). That way your club will be constantly updated on new legislation being proposed or voted upon in your state. Then, write letters, make phone calls, and VOTE for people who will support the old car hobby. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

I am glad to hear lump, that you are involved in making the car world a better place. I think we all try to make it a better place. (if you really care about the cars) But as I read your post, I have to wonder, if sh*# rolls down hill. And money flows up hill, how could all those fraudulent operations stay a float?

LOL. Well, Xander, I appreciate your kind words. But as for your last question, I must admit that I have no idea what you meant. Sorry.

But I can say this. There is a massive, eager and ready market for buying almost ANYTHING under its normal value. And when car which has been stolen (zero cost to the thief), is either parted out or re-titled and sold at a bargain used-car price, lots of illegal profits are made. And wherever illegal profits are available, there are plenty of unscrupulous people who will try to cash in. 

Ummm...is that a relevant response to your question? 

Cheers! 

About 10 years ago I went to look at two Shelby Mustangs for sale that were theft recovery. They both had their ownership changed but somehow they were identified and recovered. They were both from Quebec so that is a given that you have to be very carful on what you buy that comes from there. If you go to an Impact Auction and if they sell a burned out hulk generally it goes to Quebec probably for the title. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

lump, I was just throwing out a comment, playing off of the chop shop comment you made. When you think chop shop, a dim lit building with a bunch of stripped down cars comes to mind. Something that  would be easy to spot. If you had a fraudulent town/city, I am sure fraudulent shops would be in high numbers. That is what was the comment was about. I do thank you for any work you do, to make the trade/hobby/industry a better place.    

Granted that some state title laws encourage title fraud and there are a number of people looking to title their barn find beauty that will go the easy and sometimes only route to title and purchase the vin plate and title from someone else’s stripped to nothing parts car.  But the boys and girls in the business of stealing big money cars for resale don’t shop car shows and ebay for used titles, they get fresh clean blanks from someone at the state, or the printer that makes them for the state.

Some old car titles are valuable for historical or social reasons. They are collectible and have differing values for different people, for reasons that sometimes confuse my sense of understanding. The boys and girls in the business of stealing big money classics have different title needs than the new car crooks and they shop for old titles.  In this dollar range they usually have an old school forger and all they need is the 20 year old piece of paper that was a title, to make a title that can be transferred.