How they were made.

Xander Wildeisen

Too bad that we can't go back to the days when everything was really made from scratch here in the U.S. Now almost every company prostitutes itself to other countries for low cost but high resale prices, killing our manufacturing base and our workforce and we sell all of our natural resources to these countries for big bucks. what's going to happen when the supply runs out or the world gets entangled in another world war. We won't be able to sustain ourselves and every other country has all our technology! How sad to give our country away for a few measly bucks!

• Like 1

what, What, WHAT? Now I know why my grandfather could not hear anything. And why he all ways said watch your fingers. Love the lack of safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves and one step to the right or left, and you will loose that arm. Back when if you did not pay attention you got hurt at work. Safety has come a long way, and that is good. All of that great tooling was made here as well. What have we done to ourselves in this country? To loose all of this great stuff.

• Like 1

Keep shopping at Wal-Mart and arguing over the prices of things--that's what chases manufacturing overseas. We've done it to ourselves. We want high-paying jobs and low-cost goods. Can't have it both ways.

America, home of the entitled.

• Like 4

The size of the presses was amazing. All those men now replaced by robotics. jpage, you don't have to worry about WW III. It won't be like WW II when we tooled up as a nation and built many thousand planes, boats and tanks. Those days are gone, it will all come down to a push of a button and a mushroom cloud.

That was no small feat to balance the line and divide each assembly into one second tasks.  Then there is all the tooling required - big investment and you can image the time it took for change over.  All the new tooling had to be staged and ready for implementation.  All done by the human mind, planning and planning.  Major problem is only one station broke down, very high reliability.

What 36 Ford has semi elliptical springs and a straight 6 with the carburetor on the left side?

• Like 2

" it will all come down to a push of a button and a mushroom cloud. " - EMP does not create a cloud.

Thought the idea was to outsource/import everything we can so the other guy uses up their raw materials and concentrate on the things no-one else can do. 

My first good job that paid me a good wage was working in the production machine shop  at Black & Decker power tools.  Back then (1965) almost every part in their power tools was made by them.  They even made and wound the armatures. It's hard to imagine that any more.  Computers have also led to major job losses.   I later became a draftsman and in the early seventies there were huge rooms of draftsman and engineers.  One room I remember must have had about 75 draftsman in it.  So many that I did not even know the guys in the front of the room.  In the nineties it changed to to less than a dozen in cubicles doing the work.  This was because of computers .

• Like 1

"There was time when automobiles were built in Flint and you couldn't drink the water in Mexico.....now the automobiles are built in Mexico and you can't drink the water in Flint"

Donald J Trump

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, emjay said:

That was no small feat to balance the line and divide each assembly into one second tasks.  Then there is all the tooling required - big investment and you can image the time it took for change over.  All the new tooling had to be staged and ready for implementation.  All done by the human mind, planning and planning.  Major problem is only one station broke down, very high reliability.

What 36 Ford has semi elliptical springs and a straight 6 with the carburetor on the left side?

Years ago like in the 60's & earlier model change over could last up to a month or more.  Now there might not even be a day or an hour off.  As the car goes down the line one could be a '16 and the next one could be a '17. 

I do not know of any one who would restore/build a car. And put the grill, fenders and running boards on. Then put the body on.(and they wrestle it on) Interesting to see it done that way. Would make sense from a production stand point. When they install the engine, it looks like they hang it from the exhaust manifold. Like said above, they were rough with the parts. But at that point they were building history, now you are restoring/preserving history.   

I'm sure that the monotony would be tedious, but these guys were making a decent living wage during the depression. We are lucky that such great film exists. Wouldn't it be neat to see how GM (Fleetwood) wrapped sheet medal around wooden inner frames to make those beautiful, but short lived, bodies of the early to mid thirties?

I worked on the line producing components while in college.  It is/was boring work but it paid well. Got out of school and owed nothing.  The first job I had was working on a line where we maid 2,000 fuel tank sending unit on an 8 hour shift.  No complaints for my time working manufacturing as it gave me experiences that were valuable in my later positions on product design and customer satisfaction.