Need help!

Guest mdeluca

I recently purchased a '79 Trans am. It is all original, basically straight out of the factory. The issue I'm having is that the drivers seat ripped! The seam in the center of the seat tore about three inches and the leather on the side of the seat tore due to excessive pressure. It seems as if the plastic arm tore into it.

Does anyone know a home remedy? How can I fix this? If not, any recommendations for a classic car restorer that fixes leather within 100 miles of New York City?

Thanks for any replies!!!

Your seat material is likely vinyl, not leather.

A large number of seats in the 1970's were

vinyl, and leather in that decade was offered

seldom, and only in luxury cars.   In later years

(and in earlier years) it was much more common.

Keiser probably meant Legendary Auto Interiors.

If pre-sewn seat coverings are made for your car

(in the original material and pattern), there may be

several sources.  If not, you can buy vinyl in the 

correct color and pattern from several sources,

the most notable of which is SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon.

There are probably many automobile upholstery shops

in your radius who could either install the pre-sewn seat 

covering, or else cut, sew, and install a new seat covering.

They could obtain the vinyl themselves, from their sources,

so you wouldn't have to go hunting around for it.

Just get one with experience in collector cars:  Asking

A.A.C.A. members near you would be a good way to find

an experienced shop that has a reputation for good work.

And don't put Armor All on your seats!  Clean vinyl seats

with just a mild soap and water.  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thanks so much, I'm having a hard time finding many things I need, as I do not want to install any aftermarket parts. As of now the car is fully original, minus the water pump and battery. I had the headliner replaced because it kept falling down. I attempted to glue it myself multiple times but nothing stuck. The shop I brought it too seemed pretty reputable until I noticed the tears in my seat after picking my car up. They also did not have the proper material for the headliner and installed a basic oyster one, that is much different than the original. 

I will look into SMS Auto Fabrics and ask around at the next car show I go to.

Again thanks so much for your help and for sharing your knowledge=]

~Michelle

Whenever a fabric is hard to find, SMS Auto Fabrics

tends to have it--more so than any other supplier.

For scarcer fabrics, they will even

custom-make it to the correct color and style, but

you won't need that custom service.

You're doing right, Michelle, to keep your car having

all authentic parts.  No one is going to fault a car for

having a replacement battery and water pump!

But you would want a water pump that was made for

your car, whether that pump was made by GM or some

after-market supplier.  No one may notice your headliner;

but any new seat fabrics, any repainting, any radio,

should definitely match what was originally available

in a '79 Trans Am.

Let's see a picture that's bigger than the thumbnail you posted.

It looks like a really nice car, and I hope you're enjoying it!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I absolutely love it. Everyone thought I was crazy for getting a 301 with a 4-speed in NYC but it is so much fun to drive. It doesn't have much horse power but I know that it blew its competitors off the track during in it's prime. Everywhere I go people stop and stare, and some even take pictures. They aren't used to a young person driving a classic car. I got used to the stares while driving my dad's '65 GTO, I guess you could say were a Pontiac family.

When it comes to finding parts, I'm usually pretty good but with interior parts, such as seat covers, I'm not sure where to buy from as there are so many vendors. I found a mobile company that fixes upholstery, including vinyl,  but when I tried to contact them I found out that the company went out of business.

My favorite part is that it has the original 8-track and only had 23,800 original miles when I purchased it in July. I also have all the original paper work for the car, including the dealers business card. I am the third woman to own and drive it, it has had four owners, one young man who didn't even drive it. 

The car is basically in pristine condition, save for some minuscule dings in the paint on the edge of the door. I want to keep him as original as I possibly can. It has been garage kept since the day it was purchased. I even have the original space saver tire and the fix a flat it came with!

trans am 2.JPG

trans am 3.JPG

trans am 4.JPG

trans am 5.JPG

trans am.JPG

trans am1.JPG

Edited by mdeluca (see edit history)

Just a thought but my Judge has an 8-track. I use a cassette adapter from ebay, then a handsfree cassette unit from Amazon to use my smart phone in the car.

ps a 79 with a 4 speed should have a 400. 301 came out in 80. Cars look much the same.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Regarding your photos, a good trim shop should be able to remove the seat cover and replace the material there including the stitching on the center seat trim panel 

I'm more concerned that in the photo with your hand it appears the hard plastic side panel is broken and missing the front chrome tip that caps the end of the chrome piping.

• Like 1

I also have a 1979 Trans Am and interiors and other parts are readily available from many sources, my preference is www.amesperf.com where you can get a free catalog.  Yours is the vinyl "custom" interior (as opposed to the "standard" interior) and Restorer32 is correct that the seam cannot be properly resewn, it is permanently torn.  I also concur that the tear on the side looks like it is caused by the broken plastic shroud which must be fixed before you install any new upholstery.  Other parts sources are Classic Industries and National Parts Depot and you will find a good forum at www.transamcountry.com , hope you enjoy your Trans Am as much as I have mine, Todd C

Padgett, thanks for your input. As of now I purchased a FM radio transmitter that seems to work pretty well. The main issue I have is with quality of sound as my rear speakers are blown. 

Pontiac came out with the 301 with a 4-speed in '77. It was most commonly found in the formulas but mine came stock from the factory with it, and  have the factory item list to prove it. 

I don't know where to find the chrome tip for the end of the chrome piping. I will check Ames again to see if I could find it before I have the seat either replaced or reupholstered.  I noticed that when I purchased the car in the end of July, as it was different than the passenger seat. It hadn't been a problem until I dropped it off to have the headliner replaced. The normal procedure is to unbolt and remove the driver and passenger seats, as there are only two bolts that hold the seats in. But the mechanic who fixed it must not have had a wrench or a socket so he didn't remove them, was very careless and ultimately caused damage to  my seat. I have found that many people act carelessly around cars when they are owned by a young person, especially a girl. The mechanic didn't know how to drive manual and seemed to ignore me and the car until he asked for the keys when I was leaving. I explained to him that it parked in reverse and how to put it in reverse. When I went to pick up the car I found it was in first gear, without the safety break on, on a slopping driveway that emptied out into a busy avenue. They placed a brick under my tire to stop the car from rolling. When I confronted him as to why he parked it in first he told me he didn't, that it was in reverse and that there must be something wrong with the car because the key would not come out of the ignition. Peoples lack of respect for others property truly amazes me sometimes, especially when I specifically explained to  him, and the owner of the shop, how to properly park it when they told me that neither one of them drove manual. Since then my transmission has been feeling kind of funny but I do not know if they did something to it while attempting to move my car, which they told me they would not do, or if my bushings are worn out. I am going to bring it to my trusted mechanic, and the only classic car mechanic in Brooklyn, later in the week to have it checked.

Thank you to everyone for your concern and input!  I truly appreciate it=]

Edited by mdeluca (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, mdeluca said:

I have found that many people act carelessly around cars when they are owned by a young person, especially a girl.

Regrettably that is too often true and your experience with the upholstery shop was pretty bad, hopefully your ownership experience will quickly improve.  I would say you can look forward to lots of positive attention while driving and showing your Trans Am, they seem to attract smiles and interest from all ages.  You may get occasional scoffing from hairy-chested musclecar types about your 301 but pay no attention, they were a decent, widely used engine for the day.  Old guys may say earlier Trans Ams were more muscular, I say the 1979 looks the part, you have a nice one that is affordable and fun to drive and that is all that matters.  Get in, watch the shaker scoop shake, look out over the wings of the bird on the hood and enjoy, Todd C  

TransAm4.JPG

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

I'd suggest speaking with local car dealers to see if there are any traveling upholstery repair people they can recommend.  I've seen some nasty problems that were invisible or barely noticeable when completed. 

Not to rain on anyone's parade,but there was a thread on the P15-D24 forum recently concerning issues with SMS.  This was not an isolated case.  A little Google research might not hurt.

Edited by Harold (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Harold said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade,but there was a thread on the P15-D24 forum recently concerning issues with SMS.  

SMS Auto Fabrics has been discussed here 

on our A.A.C.A. Forum as well.  They can be

slow in sending out samples (perhaps 3 weeks)

and in shipping orders--evidently the demand for

what they have often exceeds their man-power;  

but I have always received what I needed.

I have always made contact by telephone, not e-mail.

The only caution I give:  Receive what you need

first from SMS, and only then schedule your 

appointment with your upholsterer.

Not at home right now to research just thought you wanted to keep it original where I see a number of questionable items for a 79 T/A (spinners, no decal on shaker).

Now if all you want is a nice driver then it is fine but if you really want to know what was original I'd need the first 10 digits (not the serial number part) of the VIN to check.

My understanding was the 301 was available in other lines and even Firebirds but the 79 T/A only came with the Olds 403 (automatic) and left over 78 400s for the four speeds with special shaker decals for each. 

12 minutes ago, padgett said:

Not at home right now to research just thought you wanted to keep it original where I see a number of questionable items for a 79 T/A (spinners, no decal on shaker).

My understanding was the 301 was available in other lines and even Firebirds but the 79 T/A only came with the Olds 403 (automatic) and left over 78 400s for the four speeds with special shaker decals for each. 

The wheels are not original nor are the extra wheel flares BEHIND the wheels.  But both look to me like they are period add-ons done shortly after the car was new, they would not be my preference but if it were me I would leave them as is.

The 301 engine in 1979 is a bit of a historic footnote.  In 1979 the 403 Olds with automatic only was considered the standard Trans Am drivetrain and the 400 was, as stated above, limited to only (I think) 7500 leftover engines all with 4 speeds.  So after they were gone (early in the year) if an owner wanted a 4 speed the only choice was a 301 as (I think) a $195 credit option.  I do not know what decal a 301 carried on the hood scoop in 1979, there may never have been one as repro kits include the 403 (6.6 Litre) and the 400 (T/A 6.6) but nothing for the 301 in 1979.  This car is still a nice find and will be fun to own, Todd C

This is exactly the way the car came when I purchased it and how it has been for years. The last owner of the car removed the shaker hood decal, 4.9 litre, because she did not like it and I am having difficulty finding one in the right colors to match. It would need to be charcoal, black and red, as all the other decals on the car are. But I have only been able to find two-toned ones. As per the wheels, I wanted to put honeycomb ones on, but these are much different and you don't see many cars with them so I decided to leave them on. I think they give the car a different effect and makes it stand out more in shows because its not a "stereotypical" trans am.

I have the factory owners manual as well as the original bill of sale and items list from the factory. As time goes on I want to revert it back to the way it was fresh out of the factory. But at the moment I just want to enjoy it as it is. Cruise around with my 150hp and enjoy all the stares and compliments. 

Poci, I love your T-top! It looks like its in perfect condition! The stripping on the door is a really nice touch, it adds to the natural contours of the car. Did you get the windows tinted? They look great!

2 hours ago, mdeluca said:

The last owner of the car removed the shaker hood decal, 4.9 litre...It would need to be charcoal, black and red, as all the other decals on the car are. But I have only been able to find two-toned ones. As per the wheels, I wanted to put honeycomb ones on, but these are much different and you don't see many cars with them so I decided to leave them on. I think they give the car a different effect and makes it stand out more in shows because its not a "stereotypical" trans am.

Poci, I love your T-top! It looks like its in perfect condition! The stripping on the door is a really nice touch, it adds to the natural contours of the car. Did you get the windows tinted? They look great!

Thank you for your complements on my beloved 1979.  Like yours it is an original “survivor” cared for by an older gentleman second owner for about 18 years until I bought it in 2001, a very lucky find.  The body molding strip is original and the windows are not dark tint, it is just a dark photo.  The T-tops leak a little but it is never outside in the rain so no big problem.  My seats are oyster and I also have a tear in the driver’s seat but since I can’t see it while driving I am not in a hurry to replace it.  I drive it just about every Sunday weather permitting.   

I noticed that your decals are not the usual two tone but had black and red accents like the silver 10th anniversary cars, if you are sure they are original I guess that must have been a production change during the year.  They are NOT actual 10th anniversary decals since those had a larger bird and the wings overlapped onto the top of the fenders—your bird is the regular size but the coloring looks like those.  Also, while your wheels and flares behind the wheels are not factory they are “period correct” add-ons and look perfectly 1979.  The flares greatly reduce rock chips and removing them would probably leave exposed mounting holes behind them anyway. 

A few other things, do not bother with the SMS company several guys mentioned.  They source rare material and fabrics but since Trans Am seats are readily available the extra cost of SMS is not necessary.  Also if your radio does not work any period GM radio is an easy swap.  If you need new speakers do not worry about originality too much, just use a good replacement that will fit behind the original speaker grilles. 

Last thing of all, I have seen all kinds of cars and owners over the years and I can tell you having a 1970s Trans Am with the bird on the hood brings more positive response across generations than any other car, they are a joy to own and drive.  I get waves and thumbs up from old and young.  I have had moms and kids take selfies with it at the grocery store.  I have had elderly visitors to my garage to see my 1957 Pontiac (their time period and four times the cost) and they have been more interested in the Trans Am even though it was too young for them even in 1979.  The only thing I can’t do is burn rubber and I don’t care; enjoy yours and write anytime, Todd C         

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)