Do old tires sell

nick8086

Dad was in the tire biz from 1956 or so til 1970. He sold all his junk tires for a.nickel a piece to a piggery in the next town owner. Then as now it is legal to feed pigs municipal garbag as long as it is boiled first. The tires were used to fire the large boilers the slop was cooked in. Obviously environmentail laws were not as strick then. Visiting the farm and seeing10000 piglets in a fenced in enclosure I learned that pigs will eat almost anything except orange peels. We ended up buying a 1924 Cadillac from the owner of the piggery.

Nick,

Do you have a link to the ebay sale?  I was unable to find tires, and I'd really enjoy reading the seller's description of the them.

It's difficult to believe that someone has the nerve to sell the tires shown in the Original Post.   I guess folks will buy almost anything if the price is right.

Cheers,

Grog

How times've changed...I was well into my 20s before I bought my first new tires, and I wasn't alone by any means (New Mexico, 1950s)..we were all pretty expert at spreading and flexing, looking for X rock breaks, any kind of damage, and if we found a 6 ply so much the better (before Nylon, a monumental improvement for our roads)...

Recapping was a major industry, which had it's scammers who loved to plaster thin rubber over blowout breaks...we used to ask people who bought them to send us a postcard to let us know how they lasted, so we could evaluate suppliers (couldn't always get local recaps per demand)......

Not offering an item for sale usurps the right of a potential buyer to make the decision of value in every sense of the word. How would you like to be looking for something, in poor condition or not, and find that someone threw one away "because they thought no one would want it". I offer broken things, empty boxes, and items that I sometimes do throw away, but not without providing a buyer a shot at it..

Bernie

As Restorer 32 said a quality recap many times lasted at least as long as the new tire. Around 1974 I had a set of B.F. Goodrich "Gangster Whitewalls" bought new for my 1969 LeSabre Convertible. Wore them out smooth at less than 12,000 miles. I had Waggoner near Greensburg recap them in 1975. I got over 25,000 miles on them and there was still useable tread.

This is a Craigslist picture of a 1950 Buick that turned up in Fulton, New York last year. I didn't get to make the 200 mile round trip to look it over, but I am pretty sure it is the first car I ever licensed. I was 16 and the year was 1965. The known history went back to a refurbishing in the Syracuse area around 1970. All the clues seemed to point to my previous car. If it was I think those are still the Johnny Antonelli Firestone 7.60 X 15 Deluxe Champion recaps. "New" caps were our high line tire and I paid $12 each. That was a lot to sink into a car when we typically sold regrooved tires and used starting at $3. At the time the narrow whites were quite stylish and it looked good in the High School parking lot.

We did a good business in caps. A lot of people wanted their own casings recapped. We tried to accommodate when we could. 25K is a lot. 10 or 12 was typical..... with tread. Once you got to the harder rubber under the tread layer they went a long time. Our regrooved tires wore like iron, same traction, too.

I had owned cars since I was in the 7th grade. So if this is the car I owned it was the first one licensed, not owned. There had been a bunch by that time.

Bernie

Check out the matching tires. I think I bought them.

00t0t_ci4lkoMTfmG_600x450.jpg Bernie