Rebuilding 322 Nailhead Engine in 1956 Roadmaster

Guest jeffrycook

Guest jeffrycook

My mechanic is rebuilding the engine in my 1956 Buick Roadmaster, the 322 CI Nailhead V-8.  Finding some of the parts has been challenging.  I will appreciate any guidance on good sources for quality parts for this project.  Jeff Cook.  BCA #40380.  cook1@gci.net.  907-687-8767. 

That's one of the challenges with our beloved Buicks. 

Not it necessarily endorsing, but a couple sources are RockAuto.com, Kanter, The Buick Farm - that's off the top of my head. I know I'm missing a couple and I'm sure others will chime in. 

Edited by Thriller
Corrected typo (see edit history)

Jeffery, I see  by your post count you are sorta new here. May I suggest introducing yourself here http://forums.aaca.org/topic/157115-please-introduce-yourself/?page=43#comment-1484563 

and maybe telling about that Roadmaster and your project build here  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/157115-please-introduce-yourself/?page=43#comment-1484563

Notice in the Me and My Buicks forum there is member building a 55 and would probably be of interest to you.

If you plan to frequent the forum it would be MOST helpful if you would add your location in your profile so that it appears in the left hand column and also a signature with what car(s) you own or other clubs you may be affiliated with.

I have a few used 322 parts such as heads and manifolds etc,  if you have a need PM me.

Edited by MrEarl
remove bca info (see edit history)

Don't know what type of parts you are looking for but here are a couple for mechanical parts EGGE machine and Russ Martin. Russ is a tremendous source for nailhead information. 

Tell us what you are specifically looking for and some one on this site will guide you to a source.

Gary

• Like 1

… Yeah Russ Martin in Grass Valley, California for sure, he has been both a nailhead mechanic, nailhead writer and nailhead parts man for many years.

Also absolutely no need to cut and put hardened valve seats into a nailhead.  This is not a ford or chevy.  For the nailhead's era , the metallurgical makeup has a very high silicate  content and is plenty hard.  Also more importantly, the existing valve seat material thickness in a nailhead is very close to the water jacket and many a head has been ruined due to this knee jerk compulsion to cut for hardened seats.  There is however a special area metal freezing process that must be preformed to absolutely assure the jacket will not be cut into for those who still believe that a seat just must be cut and installed because that is what everyone apparently does.

What parts is your mechanic having trouble finding? And how are you planning on using the engine - running it hard or an occasional parade? That will help determine your acceptance criteria for quality, as some parts may be US made, offshore generic, and certain stock would be impossible to determine, if that even matters to you.

RockAuto, NAPA, eBay, Amazon, Summit, Advance Auto (you can get one of their discount coupons and save 20-30%), TAPerformance - you can get guides, rings, valve springs, keepers, some seals, gasket kits, crank/cam sprockets, 56 lifters and pushrods, shop for manufacturers and price.  If you need some unique engine parts I have had good experience with Bobs Automobilia - also folks on the board with parts for sale. I put a set of rocker arms and shafts from Bobs about 10 years ago, only replaced those that were worn, and have about 20,000 miles on them and they still look new.  I don't know the metallurgy of the rockers nor where Bob sourced them but they are holding up well.  With pistons you will want to ask a supplier if they have a unique part number for your 56 piston if possible as the dome size changed in 56.  Domes on aftermarket pistons are all less than stock so your compression could drop to the mid or high 8.X:1 from the 9.5:1 original which may not matter to you - it will still run and you're only loosing a few percent in power - suppliers may pick a dome size that services 53 - 56 or 54 -56 to achieve a broader sales base with a one design so they are a compromise to factory specs. Currently, I just received pistons from Rebuilders Choice as they had my oversize available and were matched, your machinist can get them direct.  When received my machinist was pretty happy with them as he was with exhaust valves purchased from Russ Martin.  Some people have had good service with both Egge and Terrill.  Consider replacing your engine mounts while its out.

In addition to Tom and Russ you may also try Carmen Faso of J&C Auto in Towanda NY, although he mostly seems to cater to the 401 racing crowd - still a wealth of information and helped me with making a few decisions.

My engine will start going together in about 2 weeks, so am still in the early stages.  Realize that, as with any industry, parts suppliers may offer both advice and sales during your discussion thus influencing your decision. People on the board who have learned from the school of hard knocks have been the best resource.  It is an adventure. Have fun.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Of the four threads jefferycook has started, all of which were asking for help and all of which received gracious replies with some of you taking time to write out long detailed answers and and offer resources, I see he has not once returned to the threads to follow up or acknowledge and give appreciation or say thanks. Doesn't that just gripe your butt!!??!!  I mean I could understand one or two, as who knows what others may have going on in their life, but FOUR, what the heck?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Of the four threads jefferycook has started, all of which were asking for help and all of which received gracious replies with some of you taking time to write out long detailed answers and and offer resources, I see he has not once returned to the threads to follow up or acknowledge and give appreciation or say thanks. Doesn't that just gripe your butt!!??!!  I mean I could understand one or two, as who knows what others may have going on in their life, but FOUR, what the heck?

Guilty as well! Let me just send out my message of gratitude right here and now for all the generous help I've received just in case any felt under recognized!

Guest jeffrycook

Well deserved rebuke.  I am a novice at this, but that is no excuse.  I truly appreciate all the responses and guidance.  Russ Martin in California has been a great source both for parts and leads to parts.  Almost all the parts are in and should have the rebuild done by the end of June.  My mechanic has been diligent, but finding parts and then getting them to Fairbanks, Alaska, is a challenge.  Thanks to all of you we are about there.  My apologies, but most important my thanks. Jeff Cook.

Jeff & the Roadmaster.JPG

On 5/28/2016 at 9:24 PM, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

Water pumps;

Flying Dutchman

http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/

By the way, does EVERY '56 water pump casting out there have the weep hole busted out?  We ordered 3 or 4 pumps from various places before I finally found one that wasn't busted at the weep hole (not that it really effects operability,  but it makes me wonder about the integrity of the casting). When we removed the pump that came with the car, we rolled it over and found the weep hole busted out!

Great to put a car and a face to a name Jeff, thanks for the come back. :)  And sorry if I myself sounded a bit rude, didn't intend to, well maybe a little.... Black is indeed beautiful on these 50's, what with the chrome accents and especially that beautiful french curved roof line even on the 4 door hard tops. Glad the gang here has been of some help and don't hesitate to keep asking as the need arises. It's always been my dream to drive one of my Roadmasters up the Alaska Highway, but doing good to get out of the state of Georgia lately.

So welcome, and hopefully you'll make this a regular pit stop.

• Like 1