License plate restoration

pvstudebak

In our state they don't allow 'restored' plates. They have to be original and they need to be approved by the DMV.

I have a couple of cars that have gone thru the state then I restored them. Probably not legal but they look better and I doubt the cops even care.

New York is the same as Oregon, they require a picture of the plate or plates, in unrestored condition, when you register the vehicle. I found a decent set and had them restored after they were approved by the State. Check with your local DMV.

2 hours ago, zeke01 said:

I sent mine to Gerald Thiele (thieleg@att.net) in Vernon TX a few years ago. He did a fantastic job at a reasonable price. Prompt turnaround also. I'm guessing that he is still in business. Zeke

A friend just got some 1940 Texas plates from him. They looked great.

You're not allowed to restore plates here in NC either, but it hasn't stopped people from doing it.

I bought this plate for my father in law for Christmas for his 1965 Econoline pickup.  It was clean and primered.  My husband sprayed it black and I did the orange lettering.  I think it came out fair.

P1060760.JPG

7 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

New York is the same as Oregon, they require a picture of the plate or plates, in unrestored condition, when you register the vehicle. I found a decent set and had them restored after they were approved by the State. Check with your local DMV.

There is a good guy on Long Island that restores them I have to find his contact info. I know NY wants a photo of the plate,

But as 46 Woodie pointed out check with your states DMV. I had heard some states want the plate sent to them to their office and they will be returned. I was told the reason is they want to check for restoration or counter-fit plates, just check the rules before having them restored. I would also have then restored after the plates are registered with your state. Years ago some states issued new plates every two years, with the same number, so make sure the number on the plate is not in use before you invest any money or time on the plates. I learned this the hard way 

As you'll see at Hershey and other car shows,

many people use the old plates for display only.

In states that use only a rear license plate,

people put restored old plates on the front of the car.

This has been true long before people used old

plates for their registered "year of manufacturer" state plate.

But I'll bet the original poster already knew this.

Thank you all so much for your input and pictures, the information is most helpful. I did get  a set of yom plates registered. They didn't say and I didn't ask about restoration with the thought of doing it after

everything was settled. Virgil  

• 1 month later...

This is why my post below. I used a shop in Pennsylvania in the past with very very good results. I sent them one plate  and a tag in October. I have yet to get them back and it's July. Called every two weeks since May only to get the same answer.  It's coming next week. Two weeks ago it was on the table ready to go and I have yet to receive. I'm at the point of no return since my state requires two plates to be 

legal on the road. I am truly stumped ! 

i have other plates that need to be redone thus my post for other shops 

Be be careful to get a timeline!!!!

I am still looking for a set of plates... got info from a few guys at Hershey few Years Back, plus scan the web and eBay from time to time, as here I want a matchin set. and want it to look good, clear, and accurate.

grubin, does this shop/ location remain nameless