New DeLoreans

keiser31

This sounds and smells an awful lot like that time Carroll Shelby "found" about 300 1965 427 Cobra chassis that he "forgot about" in the Nevada desert...

On the other hand, is there enough money in ersatz DeLoreans that anyone would fake them? Maybe the story of leftover parts is true. And now that I think about it, a fresh DeLorean with, say, a Ford turbo V6 or even the turbo four from the Mustang might be one heck of a fun car...

I cannot seem to post any links anymore on this forum, but go to: www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/iconic-back-to-the-future-car-going-bac and it shouldcome up.

I saw it on the msn home page. It may or may not still be there.

post-81542-0-79065400-1453936399_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

AutoWeek magazine just published the story.  This is the result of the new replica car law that was just passed.  Replicas of older cars can now be manufactured and sold with an exemption from federal impact standard testing.  These tests typically require a number of cars to be destroyed in impact tests, which is prohibitive for small quantity manufacturers.  The cars still need to comply with current year emissions requirements, so a certified engine must be used.  Low volume manufacturers can make up to 325 vehicles a year.  Previously these could only be sold as kits; now they can be sold as complete, running cars.

The Deloreans will be from the new Delorean Motor Company, which purchased all the remaining stock when the original DMC went out of business.  They claim that they have parts for 300-350 cars.

So now as they reproduce 57 chevy and other body shells, it wouldnt be beyond imagination that someone could gear up and make a new batch of those as well

I wonder how the new production cars would be viewed by the classic car fraternity where, even with the DeLorean being made from left over (NOS) parts, to me, it would still have to be a new car, same as if you built a 57 Chev out of a new shell

Mick

I drove an original one and about the only thing I didn't care for was the very small window opening available. I felt somewhat claustrophobic in it. It was a bit underpowered and rode stiff, but I enjoyed the experience.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

So now as they reproduce 57 chevy and other body shells, it wouldnt be beyond imagination that someone could gear up and make a new batch of those as well

Dynacorn, the company who makes the Tri-Five, Camaro, and Mustang body shells, was one of the big proponents of this legislation, so you can count on it.

As a former DeLorean dealer I have followed this company.  They have so far built a stellar reputation and have managed to restore and upgrade cars for awhile.  I would love to drive the supercharged cars they have built as that was my chief complaint...too slow.  Of course not too slow for a state trooper stopping me on the Illinois Tollway.