Not sure - this car had a bad day...

nick8086

My brother favored bath tub Nashes, while I always had step-down Hudsons. I never cared that much for his Nashes, but I am really impressed by the way this one absorbed that hard hit. Notice how very intact the cabin is. It appears as if the doors sustained little or no damage, while everything forward collapsed sacrificially. This Nash could well rival many modern cars for "crush" area impact absorption. On the other hand, you can tell by the steering wheel, dashboard and windshield hits (yes, plural -- two occupants) that modern cars far safer. These Nashes, as well as the step-down Hudsons were unibody, so there isn't much sense in entertaining thoughts of repairing it. It's also fascinating how the rear window broke. If it did indeed break from the impact of the collision alone, and not from something striking it, it demonstrates that the force of the window (think also about it's weight) was halted so rapidly that the glass continued to move forward ripping it from it's gasket in which it was mounted. If you wrapped a human in many layers of foam and dropped him from increasingly higher heghts, the thing that would finally kill him (assuming here that he was so well wrapped that no other damage was caused by his falls) is that his pulmonary artery, which runs from the heart to the lungs (large and filled with blood), would simply keep moving from inertia and tear open. That has killed many in accidents, including Princess Diana.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was a little tired when I made my post about the back window and the pulmonary artery. The point I meant to have gotten back to, although it's somewhat implied, is that with out well designed crush zones to soften the effects of impact, other things break. A lot of well-meaning guys sent their wives and kids out on the road in big shiny Suburbans in the eighties and nineties thinking that they were safer in a big lumber wagon when they would probably have been more safe in a Saab, Volvo or Mercedes. What good was it to have a repairable Suburban when the occupants suffered more injury than they needed to?

In the long laundry list of things wrong with me when an suv turned into my lane and collided with me on my motorcycle was a slight tear in my aorta. I was awake after the crash and talking with the emergency crew never knowing I was leaking inside. A great trauma center in Phila was able to fix it up before I bled out. As for my right leg and spinal cord, they did not fare as well.

Terry

Sad as it is to say, but going by the interior damage on that car, the impacts to the windshield and especially the damage to the steering column, I dont believe the front occupants survived this, especially the driver

The damage the column would have done to his/her chest would have been enough

If the family of these people ever read this, my condolences on your loss

Mick

Terry, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and the consequences of it. Yeah, the aorta is another "trunk highway" of the circulatory system. Your poor body suffered enough G force to tear it. I'll bet you try not to wonder how much more force it would have taken to rupture it entirely.

Mick, I took it for granted that they did survive because the gentleman that created the Craigslist ad stated, "This vehicle belongs to my son but I am selling it for him." which isn't past tense. I certainly hope that the occupants survived. I'd feel awful if that wasn't the case. On the other hand, if fell it upon me to find a new owner for a car like this, I might be reticent to disclose details. I apologize if I've been insensitive.

Eegads that's painful on the eyes.  BUT, looks like, even if it isn't repairable, it has a lot of parts to offer to keep other cars on the road.....

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all" __ Lady Antebellum __ 'Need You Now'