1956 Buick 322 to 700R4 transmission

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the amount of space you have under the floor, you might want to look at using a 200-4R rather than the 700-R4.  The 200-4R is smaller in overall dimensions and is an easier fit.  They stand up to what the GNX's can dish out so don't overlook them.  You should also consider the spacing between the gears.. The high geared 3.06 first gear might be okay for a high rpm engine like a SBC, but for a high torque low rpm engine like a nailhead, you want the gears closer together.  Art Carr, PATCO, and other firms build really good 200-4R transmissions.  Just make sure that if you go that way, you get all the parts that go with a Chevy trans or all the parts that go with the BOP trans.  The way the converter bolts to the flex plate is different, and the parts don't swap. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone...first time here. Putting together info on mating a 1956 322 Nailhead to a 700R transmission ...but I see that RivNut suggested the smaller 200R which is better suitable for the 322s torque.

So thanks for that and also the Art Carr at Patco referral RivNut.

My next question is the 200R splines to the 322 crank...is there a difference between the 200R and the 322? I imagine there is.

Mating the engine to the transmission is easily done with an adapter.  That's no problem.  Your problem will be in mating the transmission to a drive shaft.  Your old Dynaflow mated to the drive shaft via a torque tube.  The torque tube is an integral part of the rear suspension.  It locates the rear end.  You'll need to connect the 200-4R to an open drive shaft.  In order to run an open drive shaft, you'll nee rear trailing arms. and all of the other paraphernalia that goes with it.  There are a couple of threads about this in the forum somewhere.  You can probably find them be doing a search.  Russ Martin out in Grass Valley, CA sells a sub frame connector that you can use to properly locate the open drive shaft in your car.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I used a 2004R under my 37 Special for the stated size reason. Would have had to do serious trimming of the X member for a 700R4. Used a Bendsten's adapter behind a 263 straight eight. Without the torque tube I had to make up trailing arms to position the open drive rear end because the 37 leaf springs have swinging shackles at BOTH ends.

21 minutes ago, Scott W said:

This is my first project, I have a 56 Super, also interested in getting a 700rR or 200-4R transmission. Why doesn't anyone connect to the torque tube with a new transmission?

Get a service manual and then get under the car to understand how the torque tube set up works...then you will see that it cannot be done.

Basically, a torque tube is also the part of the chassis that locates the rear end. A car equipped with a torque tube does not have rear trailing arms.  As mentioned above, crawl under your car then compare it to a mid 60's or later. "A picture (in you mind) is worth a thousand words."

For a few hundred $$, Russ Martin, Centerville, CA, will sell you a torque tube eliminator kit.  It's basically a set of subframes with rear trailing arms.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2015 at 8:55 PM, ghaskett said:

Has anyone hooked up a 700R4 to the 322 nailhead? Interested in your take on it. I have all parts for converting to open drive line, but interested in what's ahead for me on this project.

Thanks.

What parts are you using for this conversion?

That was the conundrum facing David Weinberg and his 1956 Buick Special, which couldn't keep up with traffic despite its strong 322-cube Nailhead V-8.

I call BS. Having driven thousands of miles across the state now in my car, in town and on the highway, I have never had an issue with the Dynaflow. Not keeping up, not reaching 100. It is obviously a sign of the times, but it is still a venerable transmission.

• Thanks 2

That the Dynaflow-equipped Buicks were criticized for their pokey performance in the ’50s should tell you all you need to know about how they stack up in today’s traffic. In short: They don’t and that’s on city streets. You can forget about hitting the freeway, where every little-old lady in her Kia is zipping along at 75 mph.

Total crock.  Hell..my 54 264 3 on the tree runs 75 mph without issue.  The 60 with 401 and Dynaflow will do 100 mph....don't ask how I know because you know already.   The only thing slowing down the 60 is the drag coefficient.  The Dynaflow does not out run it's gears....it just keeps pulling. 

IMO this article is over-embellished to justify switching out running gear unnecessarily.    It would best served providing real reasons for switching out original with newer products.  Parts availability.  Any number of transmission can be used with the adapter plate.  Different rear gear ratios.  Rear disc brakes.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

I don't expect that you'll be trying this in the near future but just to show you how well a Dynaflow can hold up and what kinds of speeds can be had in a car with a Dynaflow.

Watch this:  Listen around just before the 10 minute mark when the transmission is discussed.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

I don't expect that you'll be trying this in the near future but just to show you how well a Dynaflow can hold up and what kinds of speeds can be had in a car with a Dynaflow.

Watch this:  Listen around just before the 10 minute mark when the transmission is discussed.

Smells like racing.....