For sale CL '51 Roadmaster convertible not mine

retirednow

Looks like a well-done restoration staying with all the original colors...the Trim, Convertible Top, and the Paint...as stamped on the Body by Fisher Number Plate. The Number Plate also indicates that the convertible body shell was built in Flint, Michigan and then shipped to South Gate, California for assembly. 1953 Buick Skylark restorers are looking for good body shells like this one.   :lol:  

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1

The gray paint with the black top looks dignified,

and appropriate for a Roadmaster.

But a GRAY convertible is a bit too somber, perhaps,

and with so many modern cars being gray, I'd prefer

a different color if I were a buyer.

I once saw statistics for 1973 Eldorados, and

the least popular color for convertibles that year was gray.

Really!? I am going to hijack this thread and ask you to expand on that Al. The bodies are that close?

It's possible the BODY without front clip, rear fenders, and doors is the same, maybe.....

Dale in Indy

The body shell sheet metal for the 1950 through 1953 Buick Super and Roadmaster Series were very similar Model for Model...especially the 2-door hardtops (56R/76R) and convertibles (56C/76C). Overall design changes for those years concentrated mainly on grilles, bumpers, and parking/stop/tail lights. The Model 76X Skylark has two noticeable differences from the other mentioned body shells: the belt-line dip at the rear quarter windows for roughly 16" in length and the windshield posts that were cut down 2 1/8" (measured along the slope of the post...NOT true vertical). IMHO, if you have a rusted out Skylark carcass that needs major floor, trunk floor, and rocker panel replacement, I would look for a non-Skylark shell with those better sheet metal items. The side-opening hood hinge supports for 1950-1952 Buick hoods would have to be changed for the alligator-style 1953 hood. All of this is saying that you already have the one-year only Skylark doors (same hinge spacing) and bolt-on fenders. The top of the other doors could also be reworked (sloped) since the hinge spacing is the same; the doors are not sectioned. Hoods and trunk lids are the same for all 1953 50-70 Series Models.

Of the six (6) 1953 Skylarks that I know of being restored at this time, one owner is replacing all the sheet metal for the floor, trunk floor, and rocker panels and one owner (in town here that I've seen) is using a 1953 76R body shell with good sheet metal, removed the roof, is splicing in the necessary belt line dip, and reworking the windshield height. I guess it all boils down to on how many hour$ you want to $pend on the project.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The body shell sheet metal for the 1950 through 1953 Buick Super and Roadmaster Series were very similar Model for Model...especially the 2-door hardtops (76R) and convertibles (76C). Overall design changes for those years concentrated mainly on grilles, bumpers, and parking/stop/tail lights. The Model 76X Skylark has two noticeable differences from those other mentioned body shells: the belt-line dip at the rear quarter windows for roughly 16" in length and the windshield posts that were cut down 2 1/8". IMHO, if you have a rusted out Skylark carcass that needs major floor, trunk floor, and rocker panel replacement, I would look for a non-Skylark shell with those better sheet metal items. Hood hinge supports would have to be reworked on only the 1950-1952 Buicks. All of this is saying that you already have the one-year only Skylark doors (same hinge spacing) and bolt-on fenders. The top of the other doors could also be reworked (sloped) since the hinge spacing is the same; the doors are not sectioned. 1953 hoods and trunk lids are the same for all 50-70 Series Models.

Of the six 1953 Skylarks that I know of being restored at this time, one owner is replacing all the sheet metal for the floor, trunk floor, and rocker panels and the other owner (in town here that I've seen) is using a 1953 76R body shell with good sheet metal, removed the roof, is splicing in the necessary belt line dip, and reworking the windshield height. I guess it all boils down to on how many hour$ you want to spend on the project.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Awesome!! Al, you never cease to amaze me in your knowledge of these early to mid 50's year Buicks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...