Spam Pie

MrEarl

You may want to have a talk with my son before you get any adoption papers drawn up.

plus I'm still trying to get Bob Coker to sign mine.

Just ask your son if he might want "a few more" bros and sisses. As his eyes widen, mention "Internet Adoption".

Surely, there's got to be an Internet website that'll also do adoptions of consenting adults, not behind closed or locked doors.

What color is that IH refrigerator? Did it come with any implements?

Take care,

NTX5467

• 2 months later...

We were just talking about SPAM, yesterday, and I said it's been awhile since anyone posted here. I may have been to that yard in around 1994 on the way to the BCA Nats in Atlanta, somewhere there's picture, maybe. But the discussion about SPAM yesterday was that they have it at the Dollar General Store for $2.50 a can, when I checked today at the Meijer it was $2.43 so where's the deal, eh!:)

6220400532_ccd089d2ab_z.jpg

Duh! Did a Buick have anything other than an "Eight" in them then?:P

:eek:....Aahhhh....Yeah. In the early years. One, Two, Four, and Six cylinder engines, along with Eights in the later years. Also a very few T heads with twin cams and the valves in the block. :cool: Dandy Dave!

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

RICK, I'll finally bite - what's that about owning a gas station?

Of course to remain on topic, we must warn our readers that excessive SPAMing may cause digestive GAS "issues" and one may be STATIONed in the Mens Room, down at the Phillips 66.

post-59990-143138740759_thumb.jpg

Just 2 blocks from where we live is the Phillips 66 station where I used to hang out in High School.

It was cleared by the DNR of the underground tank removal several years ago.

No more gas sales.

The last owner used it for a HVAC business till he hit hard times.

So I presented the project to the Former 1st Lady and she agreed that instead of dumpng thousands into another car restoration we should restore it.

We are not where we want it to be yet, but we have cleaned it and sandblasted the exterior along with new exterior paint.

Now have a renter and will continue the restoration.

It was built in 1953 same as me.

and yes we had a semi-grand opening and served my famous "Boneless Hot Chicken Thighs" less the SPAM

The bathroom tile is original turquoise and pink in near perfect condition

We love keeping the flame going of the past.

It is actually a great location next to the Post Office where everyone in town stops everyday.

Check the progress at Home

BTW where did you get that gorgeous Phillips 66 sign?????

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Sorry, the sign is just an image from Google. I'm glad that you appreciate and have preserved the special character of your old gas station. With all the very worthwhile environmental cleanups going on, there are fewer of these old gems every year.

Just a couple of blocks from where I live, there's an old Esso station from the late 1930's. The exterior is clad with 16" square, white enamelled metal panels and one prominent corner is curved. It's independently owned now and still operates selling gas and repairing cars, with a specialty in BMWs.

The building was damaged a few years ago in a spectacular crash involving a Jaguar, a teenager, and a quickly contained fire. The shop owner considered having the exterior refinished, at the same time as his insurance company repaired the interior. He thought better of it, though, for which I thanked him.

There are a couple of other well-preserved, mid-century service stations left in this city, including a former Texaco and a Gulf. Their rusty underground tanks are long gone, however. This ex-Esso may be the only one around, still in full operation.

(looks a lot like this, minus the giant children)

post-59990-143138740831_thumb.jpg

A bit off topic Lamar but here is a link to our Gas Station

Promise to serve SPAM at the Ribbon cutting

click here;;

Home

there's no "on topic" in Spam Pie, it's all "off topic".

I had viewed that but could not get the videos links to act right.

There's an old Gulf station in a small town near us that I am keeping my eyes on. The back half is concrete block but the front is the white porcelain panels. Let's see, should be able to get to that project around 2042.

Guest Rob McDonald

HEY RICK, what's your off-season weekly rate for Villa 66? Wifey's always planning winter holidays and this year it's my turn to do the booking. All she ever does is read books in the sun and sip sweet drinks with little umbrellas in them. I think your resort will do just fine.

Please confirm that Jewitt has the following tourist amenities: 1) a library 2) a tanning salon and 3) a bar? Oh yeah, and 4) a 24-hour SPAM-O-Mart. If so, we'll be there New Years Day, arriving at the Jewitt International Airport - a hotel limo would be nice.

I'll be shipping the project Buick beforehand (that's my idea of a winter vacation activity), so please watch out for a really big UPS truck.

The uniqueness and distinctivity of the mid-century "service stations" has always been in interest of mine. EACH brand usually had their own architectural standards, which was great. Now, seeing those same places turned into other uses, but with the major architectural features still in place, is great.

1958 Buick Tech Advisor Wayne Meadlin is still operating out of the Texaco Station in Fort Worth, which his father owned in prior times. Although some (including the City of Fort Worth's various operatives) seem to have an issue with some of the vehicles parked around the main building, it is quite neat to drive down Camp Bowie Blvd and suddenly see a group of later 1950s Buicks, Oldsmobiles, etc. in one congregation. These cars are probably highly similar to cars he serviced when they were newer, as the station is located near enough to the upscale Ridglea area of town (then and now) plus the "old money" part of Fort Worth several blocks north. It ALL fits so nicely!

Congrats on your Phillips 66 "station"!

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Lamar

I haven't posted the videos yet.

Rob

Quote.

"Please confirm that Jewitt has the following tourist amenities: 1) a library 2) a tanning salon and 3) a bar? Oh yeah, and 4) a 24-hour SPAM-O-Mart. If so, we'll be there New Years Day, arriving at the Jewitt International Airport - a hotel limo would be nice."

Unquote

Library - Yes

Tanning Salon - Yes But most just get Freezer burn here in January

Bar Yes (3) plus my private garage fare. with drink umbrellas

Spam o Mart Yes open till 7:00 PM

Jewell International -Yes - grass runway, single engine only, watch out for the chickens

Hotel Limo - Yes - I'll put the "Stock Racks" up on the Chevy Pickup.

If you don't know what "Stock Racks" are well you'll need to come to Jewell

Rob

It's JEWELL not JEWITT

That is a interesting Concept. A "Classic Car Theme Bed & Breakfast".

We could put in a Hot Tub in wash Bay. The Hoist still works, we could install the Bed there.

Which brings to mind the line in "Young Frankenstein" ...."Elevate me...."

"YES IT COULD WORK....."

And yes we do the same thing twice a year for our Birthdays. Road Trip for Junquing.

Guest wildcat465
Bar Yes (3) plus my private garage fare. with drink umbrellas.

After being fortunate enough to be invited the the garage bar, I highly recommend THAT one. :D Thank you again Rick and Janet.

Oops. SPAM. Got it in.

If you thought that Friday night in Jewell was fun.

Put Saturday June 9th 2012 on your calender.

And make early reservations at VILLA 66

And check here;

Home

Have you ever seen the Iron Chef "Chopping" on the Food Channel?

It's OK to admit it we watch it all the time.

Same concept except replacing "Chefs" Classic Cars and their restorers.

More fun in Jewell, Iowa

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

the load has been taken off you brother, but they should never have taken the very best.... may you rest in peace. please say hello to Elvis for me.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NnyeqyCiLdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Bro Mike, I knew you "knew" Levon.A fellow drummer.I 've been listening to him pretty much non stop since yesterday when I heard the news. Realizing I had not listened to him enough over the last few years. "The Last Waltz" helped me get through some of my Marine Corp years.

If anybody will love Heaven, Levon will. I know he rushed to find his friend, Johnny, Johnny Cash. They're makin music together again now i am sure.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysj0TZ6sB1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'von once said somethin like, I'm just the drummer, but I got the best seat in the whole house. (can you attest to that Mikey?, about the best seat I mean

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zY68zn6nNDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iss2XcFbnYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if anybody else "knew" Levon, please post your favorite song, cd or whaever

Mikey,question, can you play drums and sing at the same time ....like this

wher'e ya bring tha Buick in from'''''

take me down....to Calvary

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tQ5Jl3zxabo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, Lamar, but my good friend got a chance to go to see Levon at his place in New York for a concert / small musical setting. Said it was the greatest concert he ever went to. I wish I would have gone with him. Great man..deep musician. He will be sorely missed.

It sucks getting older...all the great ones start falling off the chart and moving skyward.

yea, Jim, it does suck gettin old, but Levon never let it his aches and pains get him down

the sun is sho shinin through the shadows today, brother Levon has gone away

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEf-YAaBalE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Earl . . . and others . . . Sorry I was on another radio station, different from the one y'all were on.

Unfortunately, seems like too much "leaving for higher levels" of late. It'll sure get "Dixie" down if you let it!

Letch YER voices rise agin! In remembrance of our heroes who are no longer with us! REJOICE in the great memries thoz gr8888 humin beeins have left in our minds! HALLELLEWWWYYYAAAAAA!!!

Memorial remembrances at Buick Gardens??? (Speedos optional . . . yikes!)

Respectfully,

NTX5467

• 1 month later...

Earl Scruggs, Levon Helm and now Doc Watson. Man could play a guitar and sang so sweet. RIP Doc and thanks for music.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dUDwAgApoQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DUzVUNJKiDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qyQOCJ4SUSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgL11ITUlcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 1 month later...