Spam Pie

MrEarl

Funny it should be brought up by you guys. I remember standing in the canned meat aisle chuckling to myself when My wife comes up with a few more things for the cart."What are you amused by" she asked and then an "oh the spam shelf "! In 43 plus years of marriage I've learned that some things are better kept between forum members that understand what's good and what ain't. Like bbq'd spam burgers, okra rolled in corn mealand fried to a golden brown, sweet tater fries and a cold as you can keep it beer. Ah, those were the days. Now that we're citified those days are all but gone. Mark

One more thing, why two bathtubs? With what they are suggestin one tub is always better !!! Yeah em' were the days !!! Mark

Buicks, and Bathtubs do go together. Before cars, there was Buick and Sherwood. I got one. It is the oldest Pre War Buick around, and before the days of porcelain coating, which David Dunbar Buick invented. It is portable, and comes with a shower head and a 1909 IHC Pump Engine and Myers pump. For Details call BR-549 and ask for Jr. Samples. ;) Dandy Dave!

13034d1181336345-i-think-i-found-oldest-prewar-468588-buickbathtub.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave
Added a Photo... (see edit history)

That is so cool. I recall you showing this some years ago. I love the design of the legs cradling the whole tub. I assume the shower was a later retrofit, right. So does the tub actually have the makers name or a patent # on it.

I assume the locals are really lucky, as I am sure they get to see you demonstrating how it works complete with you in your Speedo's. :eek:

Both of our tubs are porcelain claw foot. The porcelain is original and a pita to keep clean and the fact we have lots of iron in the water makes for iron staining... and guess who gets to scrub them.

Farmers use to use them for watering livestock until they become highly sought after for antiques. Now they sell $200-400 unrestored. And the reporcelainizing costs twice what the old tub costs and doesn't last anytime. I've considered powder coating ours but it won't fit in the oven.

More pictures!!! we want to see more pictures of this rare model of Buick. NOT necessarily being demonstrated though.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465
Same here, but amazing when the sale is on and shelf is empty!!!

Not so amazing here, I just counted 5 cans in our cupboard! :rolleyes:

Hmmm. It's not too late for breakfast right now. :D

I will open just one though, for you guys getting ready to jump on THAT! :eek:

Funny it should be brought up by you guys. I remember standing in the canned meat aisle chuckling to myself when My wife comes up with a few more things for the cart."What are you amused by" she asked and then an "oh the spam shelf "! In 43 plus years of marriage I've learned that some things are better kept between forum members that understand what's good and what ain't. Like bbq'd spam burgers, okra rolled in corn mealand fried to a golden brown, sweet tater fries and a cold as you can keep it beer. Ah, those were the days. Now that we're citified those days are all but gone. Mark

Like Mark must have been, we too were blown from the Dust Bowl to the Left Coast in the fourtys. We too shared some of the cuisine he speaks of. My kids can attest to the following recipe. - Dan

One can of Spam sliced into 1/4 slabs

One can of creamed corn

One onion chopped

Oven cooked (450 degrees! Are you kidding me) until bubbling or starting to brown.

Serve with fried potatos and cold buttermilk.

There is a story of a couple (proudly told by a grand daughter).

On their 30th Anniversary they went to Hawaii . The grand daughter asked how they could have saved the money while surviving good and bad times, putting kids through school and helping them get started.

Well, Gramma told her every time they made love they each put a dollar in a jar. Grampa would come and say darlin I've got a dollar in my pocket and Gramma would reply same.

That jar was sacred through good and bad times.

The grand daughter continues that the couple returned to Hawaii for their 50th Anniversary.

Like Mark must have been, we too were blown from the Dust Bowl to the Left Coast in the fourtys. We too shared some of the cuisine he speaks of. My kids can attest to the following recipe. - Dan

One can of Spam sliced into 1/4 slabs

One can of creamed corn

One onion chopped

Oven cooked (450 degrees! Are you kidding me) until bubbling or starting to brown.

Serve with fried potatos and cold buttermilk.

Sounds pretty good, other than the "cold buttermilk". What about an upgrade to cold Lipton Instant Tea?

Glad you've got plenty of marbles, Rick! That many should last you a while!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

STEALTHBOB, I just noticed that you're from Perth. Is there an old flour mill nearby, known as the Ritchie Mill? (Note to Moderator: Canadian Durham wheat flour is an essential ingredient in the world's finest Spam.) I'm digging into some family history and there's a direct connection between Perth and Edmonton, dating back 120 years.

Ritchie Mill, South Edmonton, 1892

post-59990-143138540234_thumb.jpg

STEALTHBOB, I just noticed that you're from Perth. Is there an old flour mill nearby, known as the Ritchie Mill? (Note to Moderator: Canadian Durham wheat flour is an essential ingredient in the world's finest Spam.) I'm digging into some family history and there's a direct connection between Perth and Edmonton, dating back 120 years.

I'm not up on the heritage of Perth but did find this....Perth's mills are mention about half way down.

http://www.perthhs.org/user/image/Mills%20of%20the%20Tay%20and%20Area.pdf

Guest Rob McDonald

STEALTHBOB, thanks, that's just the lead I was looking for. Now back to our regular programming in progress... Hey, what about those Spam José Sharks - any chance of them beating the Canucks in the Western Final?

What's that big building in the background? Ye olde Hilton (circa 1892)?

Guest sintid58

Walking through one of the larger truck stop chain stores the other night and there it was on the shelf. Spam in all its glory, 3 different flavors.

Perhaps "Take care" might have been more appropriate than "Enjoy!" ??

"That's a some spicy meatball Spam!"

"Spam ala jalapeno = Tex-Mex Spam"

"Spam ala Tobasco = Cajun Spam"

Grilled SPAM (gets rid of some of the fat), grilled onions and tomatoes, melted pepper jack cheese, drizzled with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, served on toasted 100% whole wheat bread (or on a croissant if you're feeling a little ritzy) = Spam Delight-wich

Better get on, now . . .

NTX5467

Well I purchased that rare 70's era spice seed separator in hopes of reselling it and retiring on the profit. (Guy let me have it for $15 INCLUDING shippin) Now I learn that today's spices don't even have seeds. :eek: :cool: Just my luck.:rolleyes::mad: Just like when all that rioting and rock throwing was going on in Egypt. I figured man they gotta run out of rock some time. I bought a ship load of Chattanooga River stone and had it at the port in Savannah ready to ship. All of a sudden...they quit rioting.:eek: The rock is still docked in Savannah waiting on another time of civil unrest somewhere. Maybe I'll go to Alabama and try and sit in the front seat of a bus or something.

Well I purchased that rare 70's era spice seed separator in hopes of reselling it and retiring on the profit. (Guy let me have it for $15 INCLUDING shippin) Now I learn that today's spices don't even have seeds. :eek: :cool: Just my luck.:rolleyes::mad: Just like when all that rioting and rock throwing was going on in Egypt. I figured man they gotta run out of rock some time. I bought a ship load of Chattanooga River stone and had it at the port in Savannah ready to ship. All of a sudden...they quit rioting.:eek: The rock is still docked in Savannah waiting on another time of civil unrest somewhere. Maybe I'll go to Alabama and try and sit in the front seat of a bus or something.

Mr. Earl, you need to start shopping at the "natural food markets" where you buy the basic herbs and such, fresh from their organic ground.

The rock? Sounds like a new landscaping project for Buick Acres. Erosion control? You can line the apron for your driveway to keep people from driving on the grass as they misjudge the turn, turn too sharply, and get on the grass. NOT to forget that trailers might do the same thing! You might also "spread the joy" by selling the remnants to Home Depot or similar . . . letting others enjoy those rocks, too.

Later . . .

NTX5467