Recommendation High Temp Paint/Coatings: Manifolds

BearsFan315

Going to Blast & Paint my Manifolds on my 1929 When I tear the top half town.

Based no my reading Here and Elsewhere Most people Paint the Intake the same color as the Engine, then the exhaust goes all over the color spectrum. Most seem to Go Cast Iron Gray, so it looks like a fresh Casting. Seen em all Colors though...

Question is what is the BEST & MOST Durable High Temp Paint/ Coating for an Exhaust Manifold.

Here are some that I Found:

Paint/ Coating for Manifolds

• POR-15® - High Temp Paint
  • KBS Coatings - Xtreme Temperature Coating
  • Eastwood - Hi-Temp Coating
  • VHT - FlameProof™ Coating
  • Eastwood - Calyx Manifold Coating
  • Other - Post n Tell

I used to use Krylon high heat silver on my Model "A" exhaust manifold and pipe with very good success. I never had a burn off problem but every year I did have to re-do it because of slight rusting. The high heat black works well too but you have to base it with high heat silver or it will flake off.

I have tried a number of things, none of which are a permanent, never touch again thing though. The best, and most expensive was to have one porcelain coated. They told me to expect it to crack, but looked good as long as I had it. The cheaper route, and reasonably decent looking, was to have one powder coated matte black. It held up well for a long time. Then on muscle cars, I've used the manifold "rub" (Calyx) from Eastwood, but you have to keep touching it up if you use the car often.

I have used Bill Hirsch's Exhaust and Manifold paint on my exhaust systems from the manifold to the end of the tail pipe for over 40 years and have never had a problem and never had it flake off.

Select their website at: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMPT-PINT then select the size / color for Black, Cast Iron, or Bright Aluminum.

I used the Cast Iron color paint on the entire system of my 1933 Chevrolet and 1962 Triumph TR4

On my 1984 BMW I used the cast iron color on the exhaust manifold and the Bright Aluminum color on the remainder of the system.

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
I have used the Eastwood Hi temp stuff that you put on with a foam brush. It's lasted quite well on the applications I have used it on. You may have to touch it up occasionally but that's a pretty quick process. Mine have all been flat 6 mopar applications. One can seems to last forever.

I also used this product on my Mets with good results. The important thing is to run the engine for 20 minutes on first start up to cure them. I think the instructions say life shelf of the open can is only 6 months, but I have gone much longer.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I also used this product on my Mets with good results. The important thing is to run the engine for 20 minutes on first start up to cure them. I think the instructions say life shelf of the open can is only 6 months, but I have gone much longer.

My can has been open for 5 years and I just reseal it up. Still working like it's suppose to.

Guest Skyking
My can has been open for 5 years and I just reseal it up. Still working like it's suppose to.

Yes, I couldn't understand why they print that on the can...........

:confused:

thanks for all the info & feedback...

Main goal is to do it right and only have to do it once !!

seems like it is different strokes for different folks...

But should i go ALL GRAY Intake & Exhaust, or ALL BLACK ?!?

Maybe Engine Color on INTAKE and then Exhaust Either Black or Manifold Gray >!<

I have used the Eastwood Hi temp stuff that you put on with a foam brush. It's lasted quite well on the applications I have used it on. You may have to touch it up occasionally but that's a pretty quick process. Mine have all been flat 6 mopar applications. One can seems to last forever.

I agree with the Eastwood stuff.