I took this shot while getting gas last night... I'm hoping this is a sign kids are embracing the hobby.

post-98196-143142658224_thumb.jpg

post-98196-143142658218_thumb.jpg

Looks to be a '65 Thunderbird - the arch enemy of the Riviera!

Hopefully he was driving and not just along for the ride with dad. Too much attention to his cell phone and not your Riviera IMHO.

He was driving, I've seen it around town and in the high school parking lot. In his defense I think he was taking a picture of my car, although he had no idea they were supposed to be arch enemies.

Edited by jwb65 (see edit history)

That is great! I love the picture. My Son digs the personal Luxury vibe as well, maybe its going to be a trend? Thanks!

Tim

You are right. I edited my post a few minutes ago. I thought I saw a '67 plate but after a quick Google search, I'm now thinking it was '66. The IL plate was white with red lettering in '66.

Edited by jwb65 (see edit history)

Yeah '66 sounds more like it. We are all Riviera guys so what do we really know about the thunderturd? Just kidding all you Thunderbird fans hahahaha!

My son whose 12 rides with me all the time and helps with repairs. He hopes to get a red '63 Impala convertible one day. I can only imagine what they will cost when he's old enough to buy one lol.

I also have a 12 yr old son, but he could care less about cars. He is all sports all the time. Recently I pointed to a modern Mustang and asked if he could name the car. He said Ferrari (because of the horse). Depressing.

My son whose 12 rides with me all the time and helps with repairs. He hopes to get a red '63 Impala convertible one day. I can only imagine what they will cost when he's old enough to buy one lol.

Keep him interested! Start looking now. You might find a 63 Impala six cyl or something and eventually trade up!

Tim

Yeah '66 sounds more like it. We are all Riviera guys so what do we really know about the thunderturd? Just kidding all you Thunderbird fans hahahaha!

It's a 66 without any doubt. IMO it was the best looking of the 3rd gen T-birds. I'd still take a 1st gen Riviera over a T-bird any day even though I'm currently a Ford owner.

Sorry to hear that your son doesn't show the interest in cars that our generation did at his age. With Dad having one you'd think our kids would 'get the bug' too right? I guess there is still time especially once he gets his drivers license.

That's actually a great idea Tim never thought to start looking for an Impala right now. Thanks for the great idea.

Thanks DJ for confirming the year of the Tbird. I too like the 64-66 body style, very unique. I like many classic cars from all of the US manufacturers, but I'm not so much into European or Japanese types. Guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned American lol.

The one thing I used to really like about those T-birds was the sequential tail lights.

66_Taill_light_animation.1270736_std.gif

Get a '66 T-Bird and your son can REALLY start helping you fix the car....... a lot!

Bernie

I really like the curved back seat.

Still holding out hope for my son. Maybe things will change when he can drive it.

Sorry to hear that your son doesn't show the interest in cars that our generation did at his age. With Dad having one you'd think our kids would 'get the bug' too right? I guess there is still time especially once he gets his drivers license.

That's actually a great idea Tim never thought to start looking for an Impala right now. Thanks for the great idea.

Thanks DJ for confirming the year of the Tbird. I too like the 64-66 body style, very unique. I like many classic cars from all of the US manufacturers, but I'm not so much into European or Japanese types. Guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned American lol.

Yeah, maybe a six or a four door to give him something of his own to care for. I have said this before but its good motivation for kids. Its cool when they don't like the same thing as you do too. My son wanted a Cougar, we just couldn't find one that wasn't rusted out or worse. We kind of accidentally came across the Riv. I noticed he bought an ad for a 65 at a flea market and jumped on it. I have a Chevelle and an early 2nd gen Firebird Formula. The Riv is nothing like them, and he loves that. He also loves the fact that I'm a little jealous of the Riv.

Do you take your car to shows or cruise ins? We go to alot of them and it is a great place to see many prospective cars. We saw a 63 Riv at a cruise in and we asked where a guy could find one. The guy told us about one he saw on Hub Garage. We went to see it and the owner met us driving the car we eventually bought (not the one we went to look at). I set a $5000 budget, not enough. I had to sell a 79 Corvette with 12,500 miles on it but, to get more money, it was worth every penny!

Here is the guys car we met at the cruise in:

riv_002_detail_zps985b5cbc.jpg

riv_004_detail_zpsf2d6389b.jpg

(Check out the license plate, he got it from a co worker for free!)

Here is the Riv we passed on....

101_0607_detail_zpsc325995d.jpg

And here is.....you know the rest of the story!!!!

r1_zps80aed06f.jpg

Thanks! Tim

...Do you take your car to shows or cruise ins?

We just started to look into the shows and cruise ins. Speaking of cruising the Woodward Dream Cruise is right around the corner. We went last year but only on the Friday before (traffic WAY to crazy the day of the cruise). Talk about an awesome experience! There must have been around 2000 cars there that Friday afternoon, with many 50's and 60's classics running side by side. Very neat. I was the only Riv from what I could tell but there are a few of us that live close enough to make the trip. I live only four miles from Woodward and I really have no excuse not to show up at one point. You live in Dayton so your relatively close. Ever thought about a road trip just you and the boy?

Get a '66 T-Bird and your son can REALLY start helping you fix the car....... a lot!

Bernie

Yes I heard this lol. I guess good looks aren't everything huh?

I really like the curved back seat.

Still holding out hope for my son. Maybe things will change when he can drive it.

The Riviera is such an impressive car to drive I'm quite certain just one trip behind the wheel and he'll be hooked for life!:cool:

I rarely see a youngster in a car, 99% ride and drive around in something looking like a Prius with a 4" pipe and rubber band tires. I don't keep track of cars I wouldn't be caught dead in, hence I have no idea what they are other than _ _ _! Pretty sad times when a old fart as myself gets more compliments from teenage girls than the new males with their accessories.

Nothing has or is going to change here............I continue to seek the knowledge, experience and vision of guys many years my seniors. The guys with 30's, 40's, 50's in their garages is where I like to hang out and take the jokes directed at my 60's.................lol

The one thing I used to really like about those T-birds was the sequential tail lights.

66_Taill_light_animation.1270736_std.gif

Those are pretty neat I agree. Ford had a great idea when they engineered them. I see that they brought them back for the new Mustangs too.

Mustang Project makes a sequential kit for the '67 Riviera. If enough interest was made, perhaps they could come up with something for the 63/64 and 65.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=43ac026a-7a20-459f-bd09-266ed8355e33

Be sure to click on the little yellow button 2 to see them in action. :o

Ed

We just started to look into the shows and cruise ins. Speaking of cruising the Woodward Dream Cruise is right around the corner. We went last year but only on the Friday before (traffic WAY to crazy the day of the cruise). Talk about an awesome experience! There must have been around 2000 cars there that Friday afternoon, with many 50's and 60's classics running side by side. Very neat. I was the only Riv from what I could tell but there are a few of us that live close enough to make the trip. I live only four miles from Woodward and I really have no excuse not to show up at one point. You live in Dayton so your relatively close. Ever thought about a road trip just you and the boy?

I have thought of going to the Woodward Cruise. Usually it is the weekend that precedes the Trans Am nationals that are held here in Dayton. This year is the 30th annual show, I have been taking my Firebird there since the 3rd one. It would be hard for me to get a kitchen pass for 2 weekends in a row and spend that much money in one month. I would love to go, I hear stories at the T/A show. A lot of people go top both! Have fun if you go this year and keep your eyes peeled for an Imp!

Tim

I havent double checked it, but AFAIK Mustang Project does make a sequential kit for the 65.........and no offense, but that 12yr old who called a Mustang a Ferrari needs to be taken behind the woodshed for a little American history 101 lesson! I hear this all the time from my friends....their kids have no interest in cars whatsoever. I think they're happy thinking they might not have to eventually buy them one, but instead of an old jalopy to fix up, they're going to want a new Prius to get them to dance class, if you get my drift.( insert obligatory"not that there's anything wrong with that" here) I don't have one of those little monsters myself, so it's up to you breeders to instill the American Dream in them before it's too late, and that includes healthy doses of Automobelia, GI vs Narzis, cowboys & indians, etc! Get on it! You're losin' em! (this editorial brought to you by Rivnik who apologizes for any offensive content)