Sale Pending: 1922 Marmon 4 Passenger Touring

Guest Chris Marshall

Guest Chris Marshall

It's time to face reality - there's not enough time to complete all my projects. I've had this Marmon for over 20 years and while I've been able to gather many spare parts, the restoration was never started. Time to put it in the hands of someone that will restore and drive it as it deserves. This is a 1922 Marmon Model 34 4 passenger touring. The "close coupled" touring body was only built for a limited time. The last I knew, there were only 2 Marmon's of the 4 passenger touring body style listed in the Marmon club roster - this one and a 1920 model. For those that aren't aware, the Model 34 made extensive use of aluminum. It has an aluminum body, fenders, engine crankcase, trans case, differential case, etc. The engine is a 339 CI overhead valve 6 cylinder with a roller lifter camshaft. The car rides on a 136" wheelbase.

As noted above, there are a substantial amount of spare parts that will go with the car. An extra set of front fenders, complete dash with gauges, two sets of headlights, extra wheel/hub assembly, steering gear, intake manifold and heat exchanger, exhaust manifold, generator/distributor assembly, water pumps, timing gears, lifters, rocker arms, pistons, crankshaft, etc. This is a quick/partial list, essentially a pickup load of spare parts. My intent is for the parts to go with the car, so am not selling any individual parts at this time.

A few photos below. The photos are not the best as the car is on stands and has been sitting in the same spot for many years. I have a clear Kansas title in my name for the car. I'm located in eastern Kansas, roughly 60 miles west of Kansas City. Asking $18,500.00 for this rare Marmon and all the spare parts. Please send a PM on this forum for my contact information.

Edited by Chris Marshall
Sale fell through (see edit history)

It's interesting how many people are interested in this thread--

10 times the usual number!

There seems to be a lot of interest in looking at cars of this vintage,

(say 1916-27), but do many people ever buy them and drive them?

Cars of this era seem to be curiosities that few active hobbyists actually

take to shows other than Hershey. Have these parts of history become

merely paperweights stored long-term in older collectors' garages?

I hope I'm wrong. Others' thoughts?

There are some great cars that were made 1916-1928, but these years don't bring the attention as do brass cars and later years, it was 1929 or so that styling became a selling point....do you have a bastard file in your tool box? That's the same name I apply to those years, which is a shame, because if you look at some of the vehicles being built they were great cars.

This Marmon is no exception, and at the time it was built and sold, there were few better road cars.

Of course, restoration expenses are always a concern, back in the old days someone would get this running and slap on paint and upholstery, and have fun driving it....now, with perfect paint and so forth "required" (not by me), the cost of restoration becomes the issue....

Great car, hope it goes to a good home, one good thing about the bas**rd years is that hot rodders ignore them.....

It's interesting how many people are interested in this thread--

10 times the usual number!

There seems to be a lot of interest in looking at cars of this vintage,

(say 1916-27), but do many people ever buy them and drive them?

Cars of this era seem to be curiosities that few active hobbyists actually

take to shows other than Hershey. Have these parts of history become

merely paperweights stored long-term in older collectors' garages?

I hope I'm wrong. Others' thoughts?[/quote

great era of cars and most of mine fit this time line.

Actually I am surprised this has not yet sold & would be in my garage if I could do the deal or convince Mrs. Mack to part with the SL (not happening..). I guess having looked at it no less than 10 times I might not be alone here.

This car is a great example of why one should judge on the model itself not era, no style excuses needed here, IMHO. A great chance to obtain an important car and while it likely needs soup to nuts, it would be pretty rewarding I think to bring it back.

Good luck to the seller - hope he is ok with our going a bit OT here...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest Chris Marshall

Deal pending on the Marmon. Now waiting on spring to come and the snow to stop flying!! Thanks to all for the interest.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris Marshall

Unfortuneately the buyer had some unforeseen family financial obligations come up and had to pull out of the deal so the Marmon is available again. Please PM me with any questions.

Thanks, Chris

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest prs519

It would be odd if there wasn't any physical difference between a touring and a phaeton, but there is a difference.