Please Help ID

Guest Jim C.

Guest Jim C.

Hi Forum -- I am an archaeologist recording a possible tie-hack cabin in the Wyoming Range that has two antique cars on the property. Here are some photos of one of the vehicles and I would appreciate any help in identifying.post-94587-143141953343_thumb.jpg

post-94587-143141952996_thumb.jpg

post-94587-143141953291_thumb.jpg

post-94587-143141953318_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim C.

Thanks guys -- I was able to track down the dash and engine based on your tips as indeed a Willys from 1931/32. I was having a hard time matching up the radiator shroud to the Willys from that period but then I found a guy who was a kid when his family owned the cabin. He was sure it was an International Harvester that belonged to employees of his family. With that info, I was able to track down a few references that stated that Willys did indeed build these pickups to be marketed by IH.

Guest Jim C.

Hi Dave,

That is clearly my dashboard. The reference to Sweden: was this a model that was particularly marketed in Scandinavia? The reason I ask is because the cabin I'm recording was built with a very rare building technique specifically associated with Swedes and generally with other Scandinavians. Another connection is the dominance of Swedes and other Scandinavians in the timbering profession, so I'm particularly interested in any Swedish connection to the things found up there. Also, do you own this picture and, if so, can I use it in my report.

Thanks!

Jim

Although this car is now established as an IH/Willys. thought I'd offer this re the Knight engine divergence which resulted.

Couple of weeks ago the Packard Automobile Club of Australia had a weekend run to Eden in the South East corner of the country. While there we visited the Sapphire Coast Historic Vehicles Club's premises, where there is a Knight engine on display in the clubhouse. The engine had been found on a rubbish dump, rescued and "restored" as a cutaway display which has a crank attached enabling it to be turned allowing the sleeve valve operation to be observed.

post-52046-14314196878_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143141968768_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143141968776_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143141968778_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys -- I was able to track down the dash and engine based on your tips as indeed a Willys from 1931/32. I was having a hard time matching up the radiator shroud to the Willys from that period but then I found a guy who was a kid when his family owned the cabin. He was sure it was an International Harvester that belonged to employees of his family. With that info, I was able to track down a few references that stated that Willys did indeed build these pickups to be marketed by IH.[/quote

This picture came from a Bing search . I only used it because It was a good shot of the dash. I like to give credit but it only had Sweden in the tagline. I don't think it's any different than a US model but I can't say for sure.

Guest Jim C.

Okay -- thanks for the help! Feel like I've got a pretty good ID on this vehicle now. Would like a good pic for the report of a restored one but not w/out permission of the owner....

I'm fascinated with the transmission............is it a column shift?

Very much doubt that, column shifts were generally a late 30's feature, I think it's a stick shift. The lever bottom of which would be enclosed in a housing which attaches to the bellhousing in front of the trans. The large circular space in the first picture of the first post is where the gear lever housing mounts. Please correct me if I'm wrong!