Hardware Stores from days past

30DodgePanel

I sure do miss the old Hardware Stores... do you ?

Do you remember when ? (Post your memories if you do).

Even though I grew up in the 60's and 70's like alot of you I'm still just an old soul from the 30's in my mind, reflecting and admiring how far we've come in this ole world but still missing a distant past.

I was just an American boy like some of you.... growing up in a time that was pure an innocent (at least it seemed that way in my mind).

The rides on the classic Schwinns and Honda 50 mini trails cannot escape me no matter how much I run or how far I climb in this life. You see, once you lose your best friend and older sister to cancer you decide to enjoy life and reflect on a day from the past.

For me.... it's as simple as a hardware store walking hand in hand with my ole man....

Places like this that I've found while searching the web and wishing I could grasp.

post-69994-143141729005_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141729015_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314172902_thumb.jpg

I grew up in Sun Valley, CA and we had the best hardware store in the universe, Roscoe Hardware. There was absolutely nothing that they didn't have or couldn't get in a day or so. No shrink wrap, just high quality, American made products that delivered all that they promised. Now we are forced to settle for "good enough.......sorta"

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

The third photo looks like a shop on Linclon Blvd in los Angeles now gone - Service Auto Parts, it looked the same in the 1960's even some of the old adverts in the cases. I used to go there to buy parts for my Model A Ford, the owner had to be in his 80's-90's then, he was a jobber.

We had an old time hardware store in town that closed back in the early to mid 1960's. For many years it just sat. A fellow bought it Lock, Stock, and Barrel back around 1975. The store even sold Parts for Model T Fords besides all the nuts, bolts, nails, and other general hardware. There was a lot of neat stuff in that building including some NOS T parts. Dandy Dave!

Actually, one of these old-time hardware stores still exist down the road from me. Seim's Hardware & Welding outside of New Lebanon, Ohio. They will search for 15 minutes for you sometimes for a rare 30 cent fastener. A few times I've had to call them and they answered the phone with "hello". And there is no sign out front!

sims.jpg

sims2.jpg

Edited by supersix (see edit history)

Great idea !

Post locations here so we can all make note of them in our support when ever we are in the area, wherever they are from coast to coast. I'd love to know where some are here in the Southwest in and around the Phoenix area if anyone knows of any.

That second photo just brings it all back.... you can almost hear the foot steps walking across the wood floor as you take in that fresh dusty, moldy what ever that smell was.... along with the voices of the owners and workers talking about the big daily news.

Now ? Well, now we're almost forced to just walk in buy our junk from China as John said, then pay a machine automatically or if your lucky you may see a lonely cashier standing out front of his cash register as if he's lost until he sees you coming. He knows the old schools from the conformed just by looking.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

While I do not remember the name, there is a hardware store in Cincinnati, OH where literally every item (tool, implement, nut, bolt, washer, you name it ) offered for sale is on display. Customers must take a number to be waited on. You and a knowledgeable salesperson go from item to item, your purchases are written up and you are handed over the the cashier. It is a trip back in time when service was the name of the game!

Found the name of the place: Aufdemkampe's. The name alone makes a statement, IMHO. Sadly, I have learned it closed in 2001, after a mere 97 years in business.

Edited by D Yaros
Add info (see edit history)

Here where I live and grew up there was a family owned Hardware Store. I remember them being in business back when I was in grade school (the store was across the street from school). Most of the employees were family members or people who were "adopted" into the family when they became employees. When I bought my house (20+ years ago) I spent some time and money there on typical new house items. I bought my Lawn Boy mower from them backthen (when they were still real Lawn Boys and not green colored Toros like now) and had them service it when it needed it. I also bought my snow blower from them as well. This store never failed to surprise my by having those little things that the big box stores never carried and reasonably priced to boot.

About a year ago I saw in the local paper that a big drug store chain wanted to build a new store in that area and that the hardware store building would be sold. What I never realized in all these years was that the family hardware store leased/rented the building and did not own it. This past December, after I mowed my lawn for the last time, my mower broke. When I went to the hardware store that Monday morning I got an uneasy feeling when I pulled up. Then I saw the sign in the window that said "Closed for Good". I saw an employee inside the store who working and he let me in and asked if he could help me (even though they were closed). He then proceeded to look high and low for the mower part I needed to fix my mower, found it and sold it to me really, really, cheap. He didn't have to do that but that was the way the family and employees were. In the midst of basically packing their lives up, they took the time to help a customer in his time of need. I will never, ever forget that.

Some say what happened is progress which may be true. I say Thanks for being there for me over the years and being a truly Class Act for the last 45+ years. Most businesses these days will never, ever, be able to live up that standard, heck, most will not even try.

Guest Skyking

We are fortunate to still have an old hardware store here in Cranston that's been in business for the last 80 years. It's like walking back in time with the old wooden floors and a 2nd floor just for power tools. The owner Ray just past away last year. He was in his nineties and always there to help you out. He knew where every item was. When ever I needed an old key, Ray would have it.

Durfee True Value Hardware > Additional Pages > General Information > Store History

." Ray made the decision to join the True Value buying cooperative in 1972, as he could see that combining the purchasing power of many stores would be the best way for the store to compete with larger building supply houses. (This choice allows us to compete with the "big boxes" of today.)"

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Sadly the few great old hardwares have pretty much closed around here. The one in small town Ohio, where I grew up, is now an antique mall but still has the wall of small drawers that must go up 14 feet or more with the rolling steps to get that hard to find part, all empty now.

We were in Mt Airy NC this past spring and stopped in a small old time hardware store right downtown and figured it was there for the tourist but was wrong. Run by an old fellow that knew where everything was. I need a key made for our camper (wife had left hers at home), last time I needed one I had to buy it at a camper dealer, none of the modern hardwares had the blanks, yep they had them. I aso need a couple of wood screws for a repair on the camper. Total out the door was something like $3.

We still have a couple of True Values and Aces in the area that are good, but not like the old privately owned stores that used to be here. I often find myself stuck with going to the big-box stores due to having to go after 5 PM, but I will give those guys my business if possible.

Wilborn's Hardware in South Boston VA had a second-floor Toyland, which really became a magical place at Christmastime. My slot car tracks and my Big Bruiser wrecker both came from there as well as numerous other toys. They always had the best model car selection in town.

I can about identify which big-box drug chain took out the hardware. One came in here and demolished the old Dan River Fabrics Inc employee rec center that was built in 1913 and had been well maintained. But the city would have rather had the new drugstore that gave them a little more tax money.

Finkle's Hardware in Lambertville, NJ, just across the river from New Hope, PA, is an old-time gem. I believe it's now run by the great-granddaughter of the fellow who started it almost 100 years ago. Lots of NJ and PA brass tours stop there. When you get inside, you take a number - it's that popular. When it's your turn, and you show or ask for some odd part from an old engine, you'll be turned over to someone almost as old as the engine. He'll hem, and haw, and stroke his chin, and then take you on a treasure hunt to all the old shelves and drawers. And, most of the time, he'll have what you want or something that's close and will work. Great place!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ