WHAT IF GORDON BUEHRIG DESIGNED CORD FOR A MAJOR COMPANY?

Marty Roth

If Gordon Buehrig had been working (or contracted) with one of the then-major auto manufacturers, what might the end result have been?

What if GM, Hudson, Chrysler, and Others Had Designed the Cord 810? - The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

Marty, I think the Studebaker would come closest the Cord design. The front wheel drive of the Cord forced the company to set the hood line further back from the bumper. They stumbled on this design by accident? That design really makes a statement in my opinion. I noticed something else about the Cord in Hershey too. There were one or two (?) Cord coupes for sale. They definitely do not have the lines of the convertible model.

Wayne

Marty, if I remember his bio correctly he did some work for GM and presented a design that was very simillar to what became the Cord 810/812 - it was rejected in a designer's contest. My guess is that at that time the design was likely seen as too unusual for companies making more or less very high volume mainstream vehicles. I could see where his design ended up in the right place - Buehrig did some great work and enjoyed a long career, and while in his bio he himself passes credit to others for his work on the Continental Mark II it certainly seems like his influence of a clean understated design. He successfully sued for patent infringement against GM when they brought out the T-top Corvette in 1968 - and I believe earned a royalty on every T-top produced afterwards, for a long time.

??? Cord only built one coupe, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't at Hershey.

The car I saw was in the car corral around the bottom side across from the show field. It was light grey or light brown in color. I just looked through my Hershey folder and evidently missed getting a picture of it. Maybe it was a Hupp, but the coupe lines stuck in my head as not striking my fancy.

Anyone else see it?

The major companies may have considered the design or a variation of it, but I sincerely doubt they would have accepted the mechanical features of a Cord.

Amazingly Earl, neither the Hupp nor the Graham were able to capitalize on the same forward design even without the front drive. Missed opportunity? It's funny how today we go back and wonder what could have been.

I miss my '67 Beetle! :eek: No, I don't. It would only run 70 mph wide open. My loaded trucks would blow it off the road nowadays, figuratively and "literally"!:D

Wayne

There is an excellent book that was written by Gordon Buehrig with Willian S. Jackson that I hightly recommend to all who admire this great designer. It's titled "Rolling Sculpture" and it was published in 1975 and it remains timeless because it gives a rare glimpse into the drafting room from the perspective of America's most innovative designer, Gordon Buehrig. It tells the story of the 810/812 Cords, custom Duesenberg bodies, Auburn Speedsters, and Continenatal Mark II's. Buehrigs incredible masterpieces are not only described in words, but illustrated with many vintage black and white photographs. In the newly published volume the Auburn Cord Duesenbeg Musseum has also added color photographs. Before this new edition, used copies were selling in the $100-$200 range. If you would like to get this new edition they are available from the ACD museum (260)-925-1444 or go to www.acdmuseum.org to order a copy for $49.95 plus $5 shipping. I am not associated with the museum but I love this book and wanted to share with forum members.

As others have said, strictly from an internal political standpoint I doubt the Cord could have been interpreted at the Big 3 the way it was at ACD even if Buehrig was there. Consider:

Chrysler had just rolled out the Airflow bristling with design innovation and due to it's reception they would be unwilling to try anything new for a while.

Ditto Ford, then working on the Zephyr with a Briggs body. As long as Briggs made the body they would try a slightly advanced-looking design, but they would not be able to do any serious innovation in mechanicals unless Henry took an interest.

GM and Fisher Body were trendsetters in body design for large volume and capable of some technical innovation, but I bet Sloan and company would not have approved the expense of both front wheel drive and a body requiring extra handiwork beyond Fisher's usual methods (such as the multi-piece roof requiring welding and hand finishing). They just would not have been prepared to do it.

Very interesting question though, and thanks Woody for the tip on the book, Todd C