American Restoration on History

Guest sintid58

Its one of the better shows on History. Rick Dale seems like a stand up guy and the show offers some educational value. What amazes me most is the network he must have to find parts for some of the odd things that people want restored.

American Pickers is my favorite. Pawn Stars is also good mainly because of the educational aspect.

Guest sintid58

I think the History channel has some great new shows. I also watch Pawn stars and American pickers and also cajun Pawn Stars when I can. American pickers is probably my favorite. We go past the exit where they have there store in Iowa quite often and I am tempted to stop some time just to see the place but now sure if we can park the truck around there anywhere.

A season or so ago, American Pickers visited Cecil Miles in deep East Texas. Cecil is one of the founders of the Lone Star Chapter (Houston). As it turned out, Cecil knew what his stuff was worth . . . as his original asking price was usually about what they ended up selling the items for. Something about those two guys getting all excited about going through "a collection" only to end up with a few pieces they've allegedly been lusting after, many times seems like a waste of the seller's time. If they'd bought more, then it might have been more of a mutually beneficial exercise.

One of our customers told me that this show contacted his brother, wanting to come by to see what he had. When the brother advised them that HE was a picker too, that ended the conversation.

Personally, I like the Pawn Stars, plus Rick Dale's show, and Auction Hunters (including the more regional/local spin-offs). Lots of educational information on these shows. I wonder if anybody ever sees what they used to own being picked through?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

A season or so ago, American Pickers visited Cecil Miles in deep East Texas. Cecil is one of the founders of the Lone Star Chapter (Houston). As it turned out, Cecil knew what his stuff was worth . . . as his original asking price was usually about what they ended up selling the items for. Something about those two guys getting all excited about going through "a collection" only to end up with a few pieces they've allegedly been lusting after, many times seems like a waste of the seller's time. If they'd bought more, then it might have been more of a mutually beneficial exercise.

One of our customers told me that this show contacted his brother, wanting to come by to see what he had. When the brother advised them that HE was a picker too, that ended the conversation.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Could be viewed the other way around too. Since Mike and Frankie are in business to make money, anyone who calls them in and expects they will pay anywhere near retail will be disappointed. The foundation of the show is buying and making a profit. Mike and Frank look for collectors who have no emotional attachment to their stuff nor the need or desire to go through the hassle of trying to sell their stuff retail and just want some cash in pocket for little effort.

They turn people down all the time after vetting shows they sell retail and are only trying to get the Pickers to come out for free advertising on national TV.

JZRIV, as I understand it, THEY contacted Cecil, not the other way around. If I had as full of a collection as most of the people they visit, I would certainly not want somebody who was going to "pick and choose" smaller items from my accumulation rather than making a volume purchase.

I fully understand their profit motives, but it seemed interesting that what Cecil first asked them was what THEY later sold the items for. As I noted, Cecil knew the value of his stuff . . . as much as they did. Unfortunately, I'm getting a little tired of this type of show, one reason the "auction hunters" and "Pawn Stars" type of shows are now more appealing to me. I guess I spent too many years (limited as they were) at swap meets with plenty of tire kickers looking to buy things! Or perhaps my tolerance level is inversely-proportional to my advancing age?

Regards,

NTX5467

JZRIV, as I understand it, THEY contacted Cecil, not the other way around. If I had as full of a collection as most of the people they visit, I would certainly not want somebody who was going to "pick and choose" smaller items from my accumulation rather than making a volume purchase.

I fully understand their profit motives, but it seemed interesting that what Cecil first asked them was what THEY later sold the items for. As I noted, Cecil knew the value of his stuff . . . as much as they did. Unfortunately, I'm getting a little tired of this type of show, one reason the "auction hunters" and "Pawn Stars" type of shows are now more appealing to me. I guess I spent too many years (limited as they were) at swap meets with plenty of tire kickers looking to buy things! Or perhaps my tolerance level is inversely-proportional to my advancing age?

Regards,

NTX5467

Talking with Cecil, some of the items that were 'bought' did not happen and the scooter price was higher than disclosed on the show...no reality, just entertainment.

I'm watching pickers right now and they are homing in on a neon Buick Dealer sign.

But the thing that iritates me about all these shows is the impression they give that every item they buy is sold for the "value" they apply at the end of the show. Do they really sell this stuff for these prices? We never find out. And it's much like the big car auctions. By posting some inflated values to stuff they bought for peanuts, they just make everyone else who watches more cautious about letting their junk go?

I understand the business side of the shows but it seems to me that the prices are very high. If an item was worth a lot of money why wouldnt the owner just sell the item themselves. Put it in a auction and make as much money as possible. The shows are interesting to watch.

History has a few shows I think is a waste of time. Swamp people and Ice Road Truckers are really boring. I would like to meet the guy who would take a tractor rig on thin ice in the first place.

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

I understand the business side of the shows but it seems to me that the prices are very high. If an item was worth a lot of money why wouldnt the owner just sell the item themselves. Put it in a auction and make as much money as possible. Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Good point - I often wonder the same thing. My conclusion is most people aren't as savvy as say some who regularly frequent this forum. Many folks have no clue how to market old cars and other items of value. Theres still a large demographic that does not have the ability and/or interest in creating ads on the internet and putting it in an auction or do the research to figure out what something might be worth. Many people are not even able to take digital pictures and get them posted online. I know two people with masters degrees and they can't figure out how to reduce the size of a 4meg pic for emailing. So its these folks are are best served by those who already have a large customer base and marketing program to sell the stuff they get. Hiring someone to post an ebay listing for you isn't always a good option either. They take 30%. Ad the ebay and paypal fees and theres not much meat on the bone.

I know a guy who probably has $10,000 in various junk, equipment, and materials laying around his homestead but he nor his grown kids have the ability to market the stuff. And yes, both kids went to college. Problem is the project would require physical labor and that ain't happen'n!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Based on what Mike and Frank will buy on one show and after they've made a guess as to how much profit they'll make, did they even make enough to buy gas for the trip and pay for meals and lodging. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes that would allow for them to pay rent on two places and pay salaries to their employees. Kind of makes me wonder how much of a stipend the History Channel pays them.

However, I did learn something the other day. The old bicycle that my wife had as a kid, and brought home a few weeks ago, is a Schwinn. It has the 'heart' sprocket on it that Mike has talked about.

Ed

The last time I checked PROFIT is STILL NOT A DIRTY WORD.

What's wrong with trying to buy low, sell high? If you were a picker wouldn't you be doing the same thing? So what if at a swap meet you get what you call a low ball offer, how hard is it to say NO?

Any offer is better than no offer, have fun with what you are selling/buying, smile, enjoy, fun, FUN IS GOOD.

Dale in Indy

• 2 weeks later...
Based on what Mike and Frank will buy on one show and after they've made a guess as to how much profit they'll make, did they even make enough to buy gas for the trip and pay for meals and lodging. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes that would allow for them to pay rent on two places and pay salaries to their employees. Kind of makes me wonder how much of a stipend the History Channel pays them.

However, I did learn something the other day. The old bicycle that my wife had as a kid, and brought home a few weeks ago, is a Schwinn. It has the 'heart' sprocket on it that Mike has talked about.

Ed

I've often wondered how much the History Channel pays the American Pickers as well. I'm guessing its not as much as one might expect. Essentially they are getting an unprecedented level of advertising for their business. Because of the show they get inundated with people wanting them to come and pick at their place as well as customers with deep pockets wanting to buy those rare items they find. They get around 1000 emails a day just from people around the country wanting them to come and pick their place. Thats fact and not an exxageration.

You can be assured the items they pick on the show is a fraction of what they take in using other opportunities and methods. The white van is somewhat of a prop for the show, although they do of course haul stuff in it. When they were shooting a show at a local guys place, what you don't see on TV is the big Uhaul packed with stuff from other picks, some televised and some not. Another example of how they make money is when they buy the contents of a whole building or floor and make a big haul in one spot without driving around.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

It's a PROFIT oriented business, designed to entertain folks.

Viewers get to see WHAT they the producers WANT us to see. It shouldn't surprise a single person, often the purchase of items is STAGED.

To me it has SOME entertainment value, but NOT at the top of my list of shows I enjoy watching.

Hey, if you enjoy it, GOOD FOR YOU. Each to his/her own likings.

Dale in Indy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 68 Buick 3369

American Pickers was up here in the Watertown area visiting a sick relative, though I'm not sure which one was related to the teen.

Guest Skyking
Talking with Cecil, some of the items that were 'bought' did not happen and the scooter price was higher than disclosed on the show...no reality, just entertainment.

I agree 100%. The prices mentioned on American Restorations seem far fetched. I recently restored an old Admiral refrigerator that looked brand new after I finished. I listed it twice on Ebay, with two different price ranges. Not one taker. I then listed it on Craig's list and struggled to get $600.00. On A/R it would have sold for 2 K. Pure entertainment!