Dynaflow Code Letters, 1953-59

MrEarl

Leif and I have been trying to complete the list of Dynaflow transmission code numbers for some time. The following letters are stamped on an aluminum plate low on the transmission (not always in the same exact place) on the left side between the main transmission case and the front pump housing.

If anyone discovers a new letter that isn't listed here, please let us know what it is and what car the tranny is in. A picture would be great.

H = '53 40 series

J = '53 50,70 series

K = '54 40 series

L = '54 50,70 series

M = '54 60,100 series

O = '55 40,60 series

P = '56 All

R = '57 All

S = '58 All

T = '55 50,70 series

W = '59 All

Edit) The above letters should be of help in matching up which transmissions came in which series and of what years AS THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY. Because the part on which the letters are stamped are sometimes interchangeable between different series, they can not be considered as unequivically correct or absolute.

post-31987-143138967669_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest shadetree77

Lamar, I know my '52 Dynaflow has some numbers/letters stamped on it like that. I cleaned it off to look at them when I was under there putting the pan back on. I don't know what they are off-hand and it seems I didn't take any pictures of it, but I know they are there.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Too many cars? I just happen to have four small series 55 Dynaflows in my garage right now.

IF the letter you are looking for is on the drivers side, and it is mixed in with numbers, the letter is (drumroll):

"O"

The passenger side has a single letter (all alone) on only two of these transmissions. One trans is stamped "S", and one is stamped "T". Not sure what that means.

One of the trans that had only that piece replaced was machined clean, so it IS possible that there will be no number.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

This`s how the T looks on my 1955 50-70 ser.Maybe you will find the letter on 2 places.? Just wonder how they vere thinking when they put the code letters,not in alfabetic order.?

Buick 5563 I hope your help will be what we are searching for.Thanks.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138968282_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138968285_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Where your trans (bottom side) says T-77 one of mine says O-46.

Another in the same spot says O183, and a third says O280

I only have one DF out of my car now, but where your pic on top of trans says 19T5, mine has a diamond with 38 inside. Another IN a car has that same diamond. I had to find that with a mirror and flashlight. Since it is installed, I can't see what the number says. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

After crawling under several cars, digging through parts books, Product Service Bulletins and Buick Parts Product Information sheets, I feel confident enough to list the following 1954 letters as being correct.

K = '54 40 series

L = '54 50,70 series

M = '54 60,100 series

Willie, if you could share more on what you know about the fact that these letters are not series specific in 55 I'd like to add that info to the above list for clarification.

This PDF from sean1997 will help to identifie from 1948 I think.Just hope the year and letters are right too.

I think a lot of "dynaflow"buyer" and also "seller" will be helped by those Dynaflow indentityfie lists. See Mr Earls list too.

Leif in Sweden.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f162/129818d1337138312-dynaflow-code-letters-1953-59-dynaflow-codes.pdf

The numbers in my table for 1948-1950 come from the "1948-49-50 Dynaflow Transmission Shop Manual" and the numbers for 1951 and 1952 are from the shop manual for each year. I couldn't find the same information in the shop manuals for other years, but maybe I didn't look in the right section. I have attached pictures for 1948-1952. I will update my table and re-print the PDF, but I would like to hear about 1955 first. What about later years, like 1960-1963, they must have had codes too? I've also attached some info from the 1960-1961 product service bulletins showing the differences between the years for the Dynaflow.

post-44481-14313896967_thumb.jpg

post-44481-14313896968_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143138969689_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143080599_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143080615_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143080625_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143080635_thumb.jpg

Edited by sean1997
Added new pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Willie, if you could share more on what you know about the fact that these letters are not series specific in 55 I'd like to add that info to the above list for clarification.

The part on which the numbers are stamped is called "converter reaction shaft and flange" group 4.226; two parts are listed:

1166140 used with input shaft bushing

1170321 used with input shaft needle bearing

There is no series designation...these parts could be installed in any 1955 dynaflow along with the appropriate input shaft. All of these codes could be useful in determining the year and series if nothing has been swapped around.

Willie

I`m sure they have,we have to wait and see if any owner are interrested to take a look on there 1960-1963 Buick.

I don`t think the letter in the Shop Manual for each year tells the right letter ID ,in my 1956 Shop Manual the letter ID is K and that`s not right for 1956.

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

I`m sure they have,we have to wait and see if any owner are interrested to take a look on there 1960-1963 Buick.

I don`t think the letter in the Shop Manual for each year tells the right letter ID ,in my 1956 Shop Manual the letter ID is K and that`s not right for 1956.

Leif in Sweden.

The numbers I used are from the text, not the picutures. As you note, the numbers in the pictures are not correct. Buick seams to have reused the same picture in the manual without updating it with the correct numbers for each year.

• 1 month later...

Well, the tranny I had hoped to use for my 53 Roadmaster failed the front pump pressure check. It was one of those 'rebuilt 8 years ago, but never used' deals that I've had sitting for another 3 years. And it was only $50, so worth the risk. It was dry, and I finally got the pump primed by using a trigger-nozzle oil can with a fuel line hose and brass barb in the pressure port, but I only get 20 lbs in neutral.

Thanks to this thread, I've been able to guesstimate the applications for in my Dynaflow Dungeon inventory:

1. code J 100 - now in the car and believed to be original (this one was d.o.a. when I got the car 25 years ago) Bell housing 1818499

2. code H 287 - the one I tested. Seller had stored this for a Skylark project, but with the H code, it must be a 53 Super? It does have the 53 style cooler. Bell housing 1818499-1

3. code L 013 - been kicking around over 10 years, it was another 'rebuild' that was dropped during install. Torque ball flange is broken. I'm assuming this is a 1954 for 322. Bell housing 1163913-2

4. code 0 140 - also a long timer, it's a dirty used tranny - with a stator switch. I'm assuming this is a 1955 for 322. Bell housing 1163913-3

5. code A037 - dirty used tranny with stator switch, aluminum bell housing (couldn't find casting #), longer tail housing. Must be around 1960 vintage?

It would seem the first four are all for 322 - they all have the same overall dimensions. I guess I'll next go for a pressure test of the 1954 unit - if it's ok, I can change the tail housing.

If anyone has other suggestions for me to check for low front pump pressure, I'd appreciate it. However, if I have to take one apart, I'm inclined to try using the 1955 with some kind of little left foot button on the floor for the stator switch. That sound like fun!

Leif in Sweden.

My '63 Riv has J199 stamped on it... Hope that helps.

• 8 months later...

55 Special: short dynaflow, Code stamped on reaction flange is O (letter) 171, casting # on flange is 1166129 2, date code 4-55. Cast iron bell hsg 1163913-3. add this one to your database research. The assembly pn is 1166140 which uses a bushing in the reaction shaft, this pn is unique to the 55 but the casting # may or may not be. (I had previously incorrectly posted that the casting # was 1166140) TexasJohn55

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

I have a 55 Special that has the O letter . See picture below

Also checked another large body (Super) and it has the T. Too dark for a picture by then.

MrEarl, the trans coded 'T' does have a cast iron housing, doesn't it? Just curious and I know you already know, but it is so I will also know. Did you follow that? Thank you, TexasJohn55

Mr Earl is right as he use to be.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, that woul be "MrEarl is right as he usually is" or that he "used to be" which would infer that he no longer is correct. I am pretty sure that you meant the former...............To MrEarl,my understanding also.My question was in regards to my donor car having a 56 trans in it which I transplanted to my 55 Special and being 1 in too long. I'll not go over all that again,but that 56 trans has a T code on the reaction flange and there still does not seem to be a concensus on that application (in my mind). The contributors to this thread have been very helpful to my own understanding, expecially you and Willie, and I don't mean to slight those I did not name. TexasJohn55 ****CORRECTION! I RECHECKED THE CODE ON MY 56 TRANS AND IT IS INDEED A "P"(225) Edited by TexasJohn55
STUPID MISTAKE (see edit history)

Mr Earl is right as he use to be.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, that woul be "MrEarl is right as he usually is" or that he "used to be" which would infer that he no longer is correct. I am pretty sure that you meant the former...............TexasJohn55

these days....who knows, I think both cases might apply.....

Leif, my apologies to you. I am very impressed with your command of the English language. There are alot of "Americans" that don't do nearly as well! I have a rather blunt personality, not everything gets filtered through my brain. Some people find that abrasive and insensitive but it is not intended. I really intended it to be helpful. I really enjoy your posts, the comment was a cheap attempt at humor and I shall not do it again. My best regards, TexasJohn55

Edited by TexasJohn55
edited for spelling (see edit history)