Dynaflow Code Letters, 1953-59

MrEarl

TexasJohn55,I`m glad you tell me when I`m wrong,a months ago I was writing on this forum and I seldom use the name of "guy",but at that time I did,but the problem was that I spell it as "gay",I was very pleased that my grandchild (16) was here and told me I was wrong and he laufed at me.

Paul,thanks for those word.I think some of those people in Brooklyn has the same prononciation as the London "cockney" has ,now one outside the specific area understand what they are talking about.

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

MY APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE OF YOU. I RECHECKED MY 55 SPECIAL DONOR TRANS AND IT IS INDEED A '56 (aluminum bell housing) AND THE CODE ON REACTION FLANGE IS "P"225, NOT A "T". I'M SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION IT MAY HAVE CAUSED. AFTER LOOKING AT ALL THE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE POSTED ABOUT DYNAFLOW ID AND CODES, I REALIZED IT WAS LIKELY I DID NOT HAVE A HYBRID TRANSMISSION SO I LOOKED AT IT AGAIN AND I HAD MISREAD IT. THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT AND I SUSPECT, PATIENCE. TexasJohn55

Here is my 1956 Dynaflow,I changed it with my 1955 Dynaflow Super-Roadmaster model.I measured the 1955 Dynaflow to 27,5" and the 1956 to 28 7/8",maybe someone else can do the same as I did on 1955 Special-Century to see if they are shorter or longer. Look at the picture to see how to do to be sure the measuring will be right,the same measure on both side of the stick.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143141853804_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143141853811_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143141853819_thumb.jpg

Guest martylum

Lamar-thanks for the data on Dynaflows. I just took a look at the rebuilt Dynaflow I bought from Jim Hughes in Ohio and had him rebuild . The letter J followed by some numerical digits is stamped on the bottom of the aluminum casting. We scrapped the original tranny takeout as it had been operated with burned up fluid and the pan was filled with black powdery residue and most of the moving parts were scored. A replacement tranny bought in Indiana had the same problem.

Marty Lum

1953 series 70 restoration

Leif, My 55 is scattered, I will have to measure components. My 56 is in car so I cannot measure to end of tailshaft but can get a measurement of overall length to rear face of rear bearing support (tail housing). For consistent results, should we measure total to end of shaft, total to end of rear brg support, bell housing depth, center case length, rear brg support length, etc? I think the reaction flange and pump cover thickness is constant, not sure if that is a variable to consider or not. My 55 is .910" plus .315" plus gskts for total of appx 1 1/4". If folks would like to contribute, should we also get casting #'s and other markings noticed on components? How about tailshaft diameter and number of splines? Folks could contribute whatever info they have easy access to, don't want to discourage their participation. MrEarl, it is your thread, what do you want to help you with a more comprehensive chart? TexasJohn55

Texas,all 1956 Dynaflow have the same length,28 7/8" so you don`t need to measure your 1956(first year with same length).You can measure the total length of your 1955,the total length is the most importent I think.Just wonder if it nessery to measure all the parts one by one.Number of splines are the same from mid 1930s to 1955,in 1956 there will be(nearly) twices as much splines and proberly the same up to at least 1960 probebly much later.

I think we need to keep this in a not to advanced level,I think Lamar have a lot to do anyway,so I think we can stay with those simple upgrades.(my opinion)I really hope Lamar agree with that.

Leif in Sweden

Leif, my 55 shorty is apart on the floor so I had to measure components. The preliminary measurement is 28 3/8 " overall from bell hsg face to torque tube flange face. The 56 in the car seems to be appx 29 3/8" overall. the only difference in components seems to be the bell housing being 1" deeper on the 56. I don't think this agrees with other lengths I have seen posted? I will advise if I get better measurements. TexasJohn55

• 3 years later...

Having installed a 1956 Dyna in my 1955 Century, my measurements thus far have shown all 56 Dynas', same length. 1955 Special and Century shorter by one inch than 1956 & '55 Super, Roadmaster, nominally, not precisely!  1955 Super and Roadmaster same length as 1956 all. 55 ujoint coarse spline, 56 fine spline, either bolt on to output shaft of other. CAUTION, MAY BE ALTERNATIVE FACTS! Good luck!

• 3 years later...