What is a fair offer for this car?

rick60

I would like some input as to what members think this car is worth. It is a '46 Pontiac Streamliner with 32900 original miles.

it is a one family car. There has been no restoration done to the car. The paint is all the factory applied paint. There has been no body work done to the car. The paint is thin in a few areas. The lr door is probably the thinnest. There is a small dent in the roof near the lr door. The chrome has some very fine pitting. The interior is almost perfect. The seats have been covered since new. The headliner is a little dark. There are no water stains on the headliner or trim panels. The protective red covers on the trim panels are held on with straight pins that look like snaps. I do not know if the pins caused damage to the material. There appears to be a small amount of moth damage to the rear carpet. There is no wear on the carpet. Front and rear carpets have been covered since new. All the glass is good with minor delaminating to the vent glass. The car does not run. The engine is not frozen. The gas is varnished. It needs complete brakes including hoses, wheel and master cylinders. the metal brake lines look like new. (I know they can rust from the inside) It will need a battery and new tires with tubes. The wiring looks new. The chassis has very minor surface rust. No oil leaks. There are a few spots on the ground that dripped from grease fittings. It has seen little use since 1981. It has been sitting at least ten years. The car has many factory options as well as several aftermarket options. Please look at the photos and give your opinion. Thanks

post-59985-143138893078_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893084_thumb.jpg

post-59985-14313889309_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893096_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893101_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893107_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893113_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893119_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138893124_thumb.jpg

post-59985-14313889313_thumb.jpg

If it was mine I would wash it, try to get it running, and remove those hideous aftermarket horns from the sides of the hood. A clean, running car is worth more than a dirty, non-running one. As you probably already know, a 4 door is usually worth less than a 2 door. I would think it's worth about $3K as it sits right now. Good luck....

I would think 5500 would be right in line with what it's worth as is not on the road. if the mechanics can be made usbale without a complete motor job. I sold a 48 fleetline 2 door with much worse all be it original paint and a much more worn interior with some new chrome for 8500 a couple of years ago. It was on the road and fully usable. Looked great at 40 feet paint looked very tired under 10. If it was me I would be happy to buy it for 5500. If you can get it for less, than great. 3500 would be a really good buy and leave you plenty of room for the unknowns. Not crazy about the air horns but since she was all dolled up back in the day, I would leave them. Hey that's what people did back then. No different than our big chrome wheels today and vent Visors, handle covers, Bug defelectors, etc.

The horns were installed when the car was new. I think they were a big deal in 1946 as stated by Auburnseeker. They are not my cup of tea, but I think they should stay on the car. They are part of the car's history. if they were removed the sides of the hood would require painting. That would detract from the car's original status. The paint will shine up nicely. Careful polishing will be necessary to prevent creating more thin spots. If I were able to obtain this car my goal would be to attain HPOF Original status. I think I could get it back on the road for about 2k. Knowing the history since new ads a little value, at least to me. Recently a 1948 two door Streamliner sold for close to 15k. The Streamliner is the upscale Pontiac. It uses the Cadillac-Buick body. The Torpedo uses the Chevrolet body. Thanks for your opinions.

Guest bofusmosby

WOW! Nice survivor. That being said, I'd start out quite low (the #3500 sounds good) then go up from there. Remember, even though the car doesn't have many miles on it, you will be still taking a gamble. The less you pay, the more you can put into it without being upside down. I too would leave the horns on the car, as you said, it's part of the history. As far as the rest of it goes, I'd wash and wax it, clean it up real good, and drive it as is. Of course, get the car running good and road-worthy before anything else...after a good bath!:D

Guest Bob Call

I would agree with starting at $3500 and be willing to go up to $5000.

Back in the 40's and early 50's it was the norm to add stuff to cars like the sun visor, fender skirts, external horns, lights, etc. The horns, visor and skirts are a part of this great looking original and it should be left in that condition.

Rick, I think you posted a thread on this same car some time ago, thinking it may become available. Any long term ownership with some insight into the history is a plus, especially if you happen to know the family so there is some personal connection.

That said, I will join the chorus at $3,500 to 5,000 - perhaps a tad higher if you really want it from a value perspective. From a personal perspective, if you REALLY want it, and need to go to say $7,500 you may ultimately be a little underwater when you get it sorted, but it is not too deep of a part of the pond, so if you really like the car (and it is cool, BTW) does it really matter? I just wanted to add the perspective of buying a bit high vs. really overpaying. IMO under $5K your ahead, much over, seller is, $5K seems ideal to me, you have room in the budget to make some improvements without getting in too deep and seller gets a significant enough amount that they do not feel like they gave the car away.

Politely point out what you see as positives - originalitiy, etc. and then note what your best guess is to get it up and running; so they know your offer is not just a low ball shot in the dark. Keep us posted, neat car.

What's with the horns on the hood? Did they sell this car like that? Do some quick homework on known parts you will need to purchase. I would say as the car sits $15,000. Maybe but another $8-10 thousand into it.

Survivor cars are very popular, and will become more so as time goes on. Part this car next to ten restored cars and see which one gets the attention.

I would bet at acution it would bring better than 15.

Where are you going to find another one? Absolutely cool car and would make a great tour car and certainly HPOF. This is a buyer/seller priced car in my opinion. If you love the car then you cannot pay too much (within reason). If it is a keeper you throw common sense out the window...at least most of us do.

Current NADA Guide (not always accurate!) shows $5575 low and $8950 avg if that is a help.

I certainly would want to try to buy it right but it comes down to how bad you want it. Good luck, a way cool car and although the horns will be a small deduction in HPOF, you are right, they keep the history of the car alive.

Gool luck, hope you get it!

Have to admit to not having seen one before; the square ornament on the leading edge of the front wheelhouse is '42 and '46-only, not carried over to '47-'48. A very slick car for which I'd offer between $5,000 to $7,000. Start at $4,000, telling the owner that it'll take at least 2-3 grand to fill the holes and paint once the horns and sunvisor are removed, plus to fix the bent roof. (Looks like somebody went on a shopping binge with Warshawsky's!).

I could live with the twin spots ('cause they're kind of fun, ditto with the rear Venetian blinds), and even with a repaint, you could still likely get HPOF. Spot repairs on the fine interior can be done, too, without losing its originality. It's too handsome a car to leave as is, IMHO.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Survivor cars are very popular, and will become more so as time goes on. Part this car next to ten restored cars and see which one gets the attention.

I would bet at acution it would bring better than 15.

That was my thoughts, what would auction bring? Hence what I thought was fair. But, does the seller want to go through the steps in getting the car to auction and paying the fees or be happy with a local deal at a price around $8000.00? I don't know. Someone posted that if you like the car the cost should not be a huge factor. The car is worth what one is willing to pay.

I still can't get over the horns. That's just wild!

Guest jasndal

Interesting range of opinions, both as to the car in general and the horns, in particular. I think the horns are detrimental to the appearance, but were not uncommon in the day, so I could live with them. I'm a preservationist at heart, so really value survivors. I'd get it in great mechanical condition, leaving it as original as possible, and do a good detail job and drive it. They're only original once.

Jim

A man I bought some parts off from gave me some good advice. He said when you have to make an offer on a car, Especially one where the value hasn't been determined (as in an asking price) Tell the owner you can afford to spend say in this case 5000. ( Put whatever number you want in there. ) If the seller was originally thinking a higher number he's apt to be less offended. You're not trying to devalue his car you are just merely stating what you can pay right now.

I also learned from buying parts lots over the past few years when the people have me make an offer. I try to come up with a figure then work that number down a bit in my mind. THat gives me some room if they want a little more. If you go in with your top offer, you've got no wheres to go.

Looks like a great car. If it's not actively being sold and only you know about it that makes it easier and gives you a little time to think it over.

Polish it to death (gently) and drive it. It's a real eye cather. Leave the horns. They fit the car.

Guest my3buicks
Have to admit to not having seen one before; the square ornament on the leading edge of the front wheelhouse is '42 and '46-only, not carried over to '47-'48. A very slick car for which I'd offer between $5,000 to $7,000. Start at $4,000, telling the owner that it'll take at least 2-3 grand to fill the holes and paint once the horns and sunvisor are removed, plus to fix the bent roof. (Looks like somebody went on a shopping binge with Warshawsky's!).

I could live with the twin spots ('cause they're kind of fun, ditto with the rear Venetian blinds), and even with a repaint, you could still likely get HPOF. Spot repairs on the fine interior can be done, too, without losing its originality. It's too handsome a car to leave as is, IMHO.

TG

Telling the owner that it'll take at least 2-3 grand to fill the holes and paint once the horns and sun visor are removed would be a quick way to loose the sale. I have an idea the owners have as a ton of sentimental value for the car as it sits, they are not going to want to hear how he would change it. His in with the family, and I would bet his love for the car, includes all the fun accessories that are on it.

That car once cleaned and buffed up will look like a million bucks!!

This car means a lot to the owner. I would like to own the car, but I'm trying to talk the owner into keeping it. I think he is considering that option. He has turned down a lot of money for this car. I think that indicates he would like to keep it. (sorry, I won't discuss actual numbers on this forum) Thanks to everyone for your input.

My Old Car Price Guide suggests between $1900 and $3200 dollars. The higher price is for a running car which this isn't. The lower price for a restorable car that needs everything, this car may be better than that.

Usually this guide is a little on the high side. It seems cheap for that car but then I like it.

If I got it I would preserve it as much as possible. Horns, visor and all. That is the way it was from new and deserves to be preserved, as a conversation piece if you don't care about history.

Putting a car like that back in commission can cost a lot of money. Battery, tires, brakes, etc can add up to thousands of $$$ very quickly.

I find it a bad idea to run a car down in hopes of getting it cheaper. Everyone can see through that trick and it just gets their back up. Far better to say how much you like the car, and appreciate how they have taken care of it, and isn't it a shame parts and repairs are so expensive. While gently touching the flaking paint like Mother Teresa picking a scab off a leper.

All-original is nice, and it's true that survivors are hot in the marketplace, but it's been my professional experience that being a survivor doesn't add value, it merely prevents it from being subtracted due to deteriorated components. This car won't be as nice as a restored piece, but since it is so nice and complete, it won't be penalized by the market for those deteriorated components. But I wouldn't pay extra for originality.

I think if you can get it running and driving without a serious investment in mechanicals, $5000 isn't crazy money, although you should probably factor in at least a set of new tires, fresh fluids, a fuel system cleaning, and some brake work to your cost considerations. Get it for $5K and you'll still be $8K into it before it's on the road.

On the other hand, it's a great car to drive and enjoy for a very modest investment. They're great-driving machines for the era, and I think the styling is a knockout. My advice is what I tell most of my clients: buy because you love it, not because you think there's a buck to be made later.