Little black retainers in front of wipers

Barney Eaton

I just found a stash of the 1/4 turn thumb screws AND retainers that hold that plastic panel in place. This is under the hood at the back, these will be missing on many cars because the retainer breaks and the black plastic thumb screw vibrates out of the hole and is lost forever.

I am putting them on the Buy/Sell page so don't want to get my hands slapped here for saying too much.........

Go to the Buy/Sell page for the details.

post-30596-143138716736_thumb.jpg

These are formally called "Dzus fasteners". For junkyard scroungers, you can find the nut side on late '80s Lesabres and Electras. They are used to hold the interior fusebox cover on.

The company that makes them is in Orlando and lists them on their web site. (DFCI Solutions, Inc. - DZUS ® is not affiliated with DFCI ®) Unfortunately, when I checked, they were out of stock of the winged clamp part. They could make more, but the cost for small quantities is very high.

I just checked with DFCI and they were reluctant to give me an exact price because they will send you thru a distribuitor, but it appears that in quantities of 500 they want over $4.00 for the recepticle and $3.00 for the stud and that does not include shipping.

Maybe I priced them too low.

For all of you that ordered these parts, I cannot ship before Monday (11/7/11) at the earliest as my source did not ship to me until 11/1/11, so I do not expect the parts before Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for the orders and they will be shipped ASAP

Guest Richard D

Barney, How is your supply holding out? Do you think they will last through the weekend until Monday? Since I don't have any to go on I assume that each car needs two of each, the long ones and two of the short ones, yes?

Thank You,

Richard

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

I also found them under the dash of an early 90's Pontiac. They hold the panel under the steering column in place.

This is a good tip. I went PNPing for a bit this afternoon and found a couple of '89 Bonnies. Like the Electras and Lesabres, the Dzus fasteners are used to hold the trim panel covering the fuse box on. The winged stud portion is very close to the one in the Reatta. It is only 1/4" longer, but otherwise identical. It also has a split plastic retainer washer on the opposite side of the trim panel to keep it from getting lost. The "nut" side is also similar to the one in the Reatta, but is a little different size.

Both can work in a pinch. The nut fits by orienting it 90 degrees compared to the one used in the Reatta. Likewise, the stud can be used. Since the stud is a little longer, it is a loose fit. But the retainer washer can take up some of the slack. Two washers would be ideal.

I am guessing any '87-91 Bonneville would be a source of these.

Parts arrived on Monday and all orders were shipped yesterday. If anyone has problems with the packaging let me know. I packaged them several different ways in an effort to keep them from poking thru the envelope.