I want to rent your classic car in georgia

Guest Jwoty

Hey guys, I'm interested in renting a classic convertable for a weekend sometime soon. Please let me know if you'd be interested and what you would charge. Responsible 31 yr old here, will respect your ride. Would love a first generation camaro or older cadillac. Located in Atlanta Georgia. Thanks! - Jason

Guest shadetree77

Most car guys don't even like loaning out their tools. I seriously doubt you're gonna find sombody who will just hand you the keys to their classic car and watch you drive off no matter how much you pay them. Just my 2 cents.

Jwoty;

Most of the people here are private owners of their cars. As such they have a great deal of personal interest in their cars and would be very hesitant to let someone else behind the wheel. In addition, very few of them carry the type of insurance that would protect them if they would be interested in a rental. I would suggest you check for a rental agency in your area that would have "classic" cars in their inventory. There are several around the country.

What about those "Rent a Wreck" places?? I know they buy older cars, not classic by any means. No offense to the poster, but ya gotta understand, must of us would do bodily harm to an individual who touches our cars, let alone drive one.

For my 30th wedding anniversary, I tried to rent a Corvette convertible to drive from New Bern, N.C. to Ashville, N.C., (Blue Ridge Parkway), and back and there wasn't a car rental in Eastern N.C. that had one. Charlotte, maybe.

I stopped at the Dodge dealer in town and asked about renting the yellow Corvette convert. out front and the guy asked what it was worth to me.

I said 750.00 - 800.00. I offered 1000.00 deposit, a letter from Allstate with my driving record and they wouldn't do it. They,(the manager and salesman). said they would have to title and then re-title to let me do it.

All I wanted to do, and all they had to do, was let me borrow the car for 3 days.

I guess thats why these guys sell used cars.

Bill H

Guest Xprefix28truck

I'm just 48 years old and can tell how much things have changed at dealers. My dad would pick out a car and drive it all weekend to see if he wanted it or not. Doesn't seem to happen too much these days. An interesting story.....The police visited our house one day. Asked me if I had seen a new Mustang across the street. "Yes" I replied, girl said her dad won the Ohio Lottery and bought it for her. Seems she test drove the car (with the salesman with her) and told the salesman she wanted to pick up some pictures at Walmart real quick while they were close by. She went in and had a set of keys made and went back 2 days later and had a "free" car. They caught up with her 2 months, and 9000 miles later at a drive thru window at McDonalds. Got a free ride to jail. Now that dealer wont let cars off the lot. (They have a very big lot)

Why not start with the hobby?

You obviously seem interested....

It really is not that expensive if you do it right for the budget.

You won't get a 54 Roadmaster Convert as an entry car but there are many driver quality...achem "classics" that you could get for under 5k.

Just a thought.

Guest windjamer

Jwoty,I dont want to sound rude, but most of us built these cars are self. You pull something out of the mud or pick up something no one else wants and rebuild. My wife sanded on our Chevelle till her hands where bleeding. She tramped the salvage yards with me to find the correct seats headliner (yep used ones) and outher parts took them home and done are best to make them look like new. When I brought my Buick home my own kids thought maby I should be commited,my doughter ask if I would please cover it up and my son-in-law wanted to plant flowers in it.It took ten years and I had ever nut bolt washer and screw out ,but no one laughs now. Believe me, thats a lot of skined nuckels burnt hands and things like carb cleaner in your eye,but in the end you can look at it and say I BUILT THAT!! Will I loan it ?? Imagine That.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have doubts as to whether or not this would ever happen. I have a 64 Dodge Dart Convertible(not a classic). I put myself in the mindset of doing this and added a few hundred more grey hairs just thinking about it. The car itself would not be a problem, it would run all day flawlessly, but the many things that could happen which would leave me in hock up to my eyeballs, or without the car. I do not think this is a doable kind of deal..... Sorry

Yes would love to but not without some pictures of the vehicle. I am also worried about the classic vehicle insurance that I need to purchase if I want to rent this vehicle. Is it covered under the rental???

No disrespect intended but I doubt highly anybody on this forum would rent you their classic car.

Pomeroy

Guest ozzytom

This request reminds me of a line in the movie "Clear and Present Danger",

with Harrison Ford playing the role of Jack Ryan, a CIA operative.

He enquires about renting a chopper whilst he is in Columbia.... the response is "2 million dollars!"

So then he asks, how much will it cost to buy the chopper... the answer: "2 Million dollars!"

Edited by ozzytom (see edit history)

Dear Jwoty,

What kind of classic convertible did you want to rent? Packard Single Six Sport Phaeton, Pierce-Arrow, Cadillac V-12? I met a guy at a parade a few years ago with a 1931 Stutz DV-32 Convertible Victoria in absolutely perfect condition. All of these are classics and I have to agree with you that they'd be fun to rent if such a thing was possible.

If my "friend" still has the Stutz and rented it to you for the weekend, be prepared to pay a lot. You might offer to trade five thousand shares of blue chip stocks into his account or a thousand ounces of gold as a deposit for a car like his. If you so much as wore shoes that had touched the ground or allowed the car to travel more than ten miles on a road that wasn't in perfect condition the immense value of such an automobile would start sliding downhill...there goes the deposit!

You should probably consider renting a non-classic from a regular rental company. Stealthbob's suggestion of going ahead and buying a collector car of some kind might be a good idea for you -- considering that the interest is already there.

I actually DID hear of someone doing exactly what you're describing once. Someone wrote a story in Automobile Magazine, I think, about needing to go to a 20th high school reunion. The writer: a) wanted to impress his friends B) had a story to write c) had someone else paying for it. Somehow he rented a brand new Ford GT-40 and showed up at the reunion with it. Where the Sam Hill you rent a GT-40 is beyond me, but I'm sure the guy had a great time!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Just a more general thought on this topic. Would it not be a good idea if a sticky topic was posted on Antique Car Rentals and a general statement that they should not be solicited here? This topic does come up here more often that even I realized and a sticky topic at the top on this forum may be worth thinking about. Just thought I'd take a moment and throw that out for some consideration. Scott...

Guest ozzytom

OK....

Renting to drive a classic unsupervised is one thing,

but

hiring of cars for weddings is a different "kettle of fish"....

It is a very lucrative enterprise down under in Australia.

I bought my Buick to use in my daughter's wedding...

and hired 2 additional 57 Chevs for the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Cost with chauffeurs provided by the hire company was $800 per car for 4 hours.

85683d1303210438-my-daughters-wedding-cars-57-buick-wedding.jpg

Guest ozzytom

I just did a search for classic car rentals and was amazed at the options available here in Australia.

There are quite a number of operators offering chauffeured tours in classic cars to tourist locations such as our winery regions. Cadillacs, Daimlers, Auburns, Chevys ... even a vintage Rolls Royce to mention a few.

One operator offers 60 minute joy rides in a Shelby Cobra GT500 (as passengers only)

And there are stretch limo classics for bigger tour parties too.

If the original poster is happy to ride along as a passenger, I'm sure there would be classic car owners in Geogia who could provide a service.

In PA at least you need a Chauffeur's License and commercial insurance and likely a Commercial Driver's License to legally haul passengers. Doing it for fun and taking a "donation" is fine until someone gets hurt. Way too much liability for the small reward. That being said we have used cars in weddings for family members now and then.

Kent's story about the girl and the Mustang reminds me of something that happened in White Sulphur Springs, WV about 1961. Ford dealer in Lewisburg WV had a satellite lot in WSS. Only one salesman worked there. (I bought my first car there in 1959). One night a brandnew Thunderbird disappeared. About a year later a woodcutter discovered the chopped up pieces in a brush pile 15 miles away. Seems a young man working next door in a gas station slipped the keys to the Bird out one day and cut himself a set; then drove the car off that night. He and a couple of buddies removed the engine and transmission and chopped up the rest. Got them housing in the state house for wayward people for awhile.