Sitemash banned from showing craigslist links

auburnseeker

:mad:I logged on and couldn't believe when I went to do a nightly search of Jaxedmash or Sitemash for old cars and parts around the country on Craigslist.

Craigslist has served sitemash with an order to stop showing craigslist posts.

I don't know who thought this was a good idea but wow. All I can say is really stupid.

It was a great way to search all the craigslist at once for parts and cars on my want or need to get list. It saved hours of pointless searches in each geographic area, only to get the same results thrown at you over and over or none at all.

If you ever used the site you know how valuable it was.

Write craigslist and voice your frustration. I already did.

I found some great parts and a few good cars one of which I'm in the process of buying which I would have never found otherwise.

I figured I would post it here before you all went there and experienced the same disappointment and discust.

I can ell you that Craigslist will NOT change the policy. Agree or not, their premise has always been to be local only site. Global searches would end that premise. It was designed to be limited to local searches by design. For this reason, they have always nixed all search engines that search CL globally and will always continue to do so (at least until eBay can obtain more than the 25% of CL they already own.) There have been hundreds if not 1000s of attempts and each and every one was taken down when discovered.

I have my own way to do it but if that were to get out it would be killed quickly as well. I see both sides myself. The bargain hunter in me has a battle with the businessman side. As a businessman I would not want anyone telling me how to run my business especially if they are not paying for it.

All I can say is keep trying to figure a way around it, when you do hold it close and use it wisely.

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

I see what you mean. That's disappointing. I have to be careful of my words here. I "do not care for" the modern ebay. I use it very little. CL basically replaced ebay as a free marketplace for locating interesting cars and parts.

Jaxed was super but taking out CL is like cutting it off at the knees. The buttons which allowed searches only on CL was great.

Now Evilbay is in the process of purchasing CL and making Craig a multi millionaire because CL essentially took over a lot of their marketplace and ebay lost millions of dollars because of CL. CL, and to a degree JAXED, forced ebay to drop or eliminate fees to compete. So it makes sense to eliminate your competition by buying them.

To be fair, I used the Site Mash more and more for leisurely fun. I have my 5-6 cars now and JAXED was probably bad for someone like me, always looking for the next gem. But it was a lot of fun weekend mornings to browse, using a price point so I wouldn't be looking at anything I could not afford.

Still, the Big Brother aspect of "that company" buying their competition essentially and now removing them from competing does not sit well. It won't make me go back to ebay and start searching for cars and parts.

I could not agree more, I started with them back in 1997 and bought and sold a lot of items (feedback was over 2400 - 100% positive). When they mandated the use of their "bank" I found other places to sell (not auto related).

Craigslist has been wonderful for buying a lot of items. To be honest I stick to the more or less local listing cities when I am seriously looking for something, but loved Jaxed for browsing the marketplace. What a shame - if I were a seller of high ticket items the limited aspect of the local buyers market would upset me.

No luck with either. I don't want to install firefox. I spent all morning fixing my computer from the last change/update I made. I tried the first one and that isn't going to cut it either. Too much random stuff. Plus you have to click every link to see what it is wether there is a picture etc. I guess I'll keep looking.

I tried search tempest. That didn't help much. I want to search the entire country for certain parts like for my 48 plymouth or for particular cars sometimes even cars I wasn't looking for. I stumbled across a 36 airstream convertible sedan and several other cars I would have never thought to look for using sitemash because it lets you search an era like 1930's or 1940's not a particular make or year and it searches the entire country for them. Search Tempest is probably fine if you still want to remain somewhat local.

The sitemash format was just a whole lot more time saving and it posted a photo from the listing right in the search results so you didn't have to waiste time clicking on junk or scams.

I'll keep looking for a new search engine.

Now Evilbay is in the process of purchasing CL and making Craig a multi millionaire because CL essentially took over a lot of their marketplace and ebay lost millions of dollars because of CL. CL, and to a degree JAXED, forced ebay to drop or eliminate fees to compete. So it makes sense to eliminate your competition by buying them.

They are NOT in the process, they have owned 25% of CL since 2004. They got that not from Craig, but from another principal ower. The rest is rumored to be owned mostly by the current CEO. Craig works in customer service now as the current CEO Jim (somebody) took over in 2000-ish.

Jaxed.com was presented with a cease and desist order as well. ( The jaXed Mash Combined For Sale Listings )

The jaXed Mash has been presented with a "CEASE AND DESIST UNLAWFUL MISUSE OF CRAIGSLIST" from attorneys representing Craigslist. In the C&D, The jaXed Mash was cited for violating the Craigslist Terms of Use. Cragislist has demanded that The jaXed Mash remove all Craigslist listing titles, and cease to index Craigslist listings in the future.

At this time, we are removing all Craigslist links from The jaXed Mash.

We know most of you come here specifically to search for stuff nationwide in the US and Canada. It is unfortunate that we will not be able to offer Craigslist as a source of data any longer.

The next few days and weeks we will be looking at merging new sources of data into The jaXed Mash. It makes sense to find smaller niche sites and forums and work with those sites to bring their listings to The jaXed Mash. If you know of any sites that you would like The jaXed Mash to index, drop us a line via Email, Facebook or Twitter (@jaxed).

They are NOT in the process, they have owned 25% of CL since 2004. They got that not from Craig, but from another principal ower. The rest is rumored to be owned mostly by the current CEO. Craig works in customer service now as the current CEO Jim (somebody) took over in 2000-ish.

I thought you said they owned 49%? Or someone did. CL cost ebay billions of dollar. Billions with a B. ebay is buying the competition in my opinion. Jaxed has been around for years. Why now is CL serving them a C&D? There is money behind this. If "Craig" isn't a multi millionaire then I take back my statements but I'll bet he is pretty rich not from his idea directly but from the subsequent attention CL got from it's major competitor.

I thought you said they owned 49%? Or someone did. CL cost ebay billions of dollar. Billions with a B. ebay is buying the competition in my opinion. Jaxed has been around for years. Why now is CL serving them a C&D? There is money behind this. If "Craig" isn't a multi millionaire then I take back my statements but I'll bet he is pretty rich not from his idea directly but from the subsequent attention CL got from it's major competitor.

I did say 49% and I corrected that number. I dunno what I was thinking. :confused:

I seriously doubt that CL inc. is Worth $4B. They only have 30 employees. Millions, yes, billions not a chance. Google is in the B range, Microsoft also, CL... no way. Craig is no doubt wealthy from his idea and rightfully so, but not a billionaire. eBay buys competition just like any other business may. Sometimes because they have something to add (PayPal) or something to eliminate. That is the free world we live in. Craig and the other holders have always said they would not sell out to eBay. eBay got their 25% thru a former shareholder that I would suspect is not very popular now.

CL is serving the C&D because as said before, CL is designed to be local only. It is what they do and they have a right to keep it that way. I would guess that they just found out about Jaxed search. Much like Harley-Davidson goes after anyone who they believe is stepping on their brand, small or large. Sometimes it takes a while before it gets noticed by the attorneys. Like it or not, it is their business and they have every right to run it anyway they want as it is a privately owned company.

• 1 month later...
I did say 49% and I corrected that number. I dunno what I was thinking. :confused:

Craig is no doubt wealthy from his idea and rightfully so, but not a billionaire. eBay buys competition just like any other business may. Sometimes because they have something to add (PayPal) or something to eliminate. That is the free world we live in.

Like it or not, it is their business and they have every right to run it anyway they want as it is a privately owned company.

Actually, I agree with your points. I wouldn't trade free enterprise for anything. Now, it appears that at least temporarily, Jaxed has found a way around the attorneys.

This should be OK with you since it shows a creative method to get around the CL conundrum. No doubt Jaxed advertisers dropped off when viewers (like me) dropped off.

I have not been back to Jaxed since CL was dropped. Prior to that I spent about 6-8 hours a week with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine just looking at what was out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using sitemash with the 3 taps box checked. It does show all the craigslist results but 95 % don't have a photo and when you click on any of them for more info. you only get an empty screen with a feedback tab. Does anyone know how to rectify this problem? Am I using an outdated browser? Also the 3 taps box only lets you search the first page then it unchecks the box. If you recheck it then search again you get the first page again.

Hopefully someone has had better luck than I.

Companies that do not sell a tangible product that exist in cyberspace

derive their intrinsic value from ' internet hits ' ...

Any site that offers internet advertising calculates ' ad space ' based

on the number of ' internet hits '

An outdated form of determining where adverisers should put their money

Craigslist is somewhat unique in that ad space is not allowed,

but the market value of the site is directly tied to ' internet hit ' counts

Craigslist shuts down internet search engine sites because the routing

of the ' internet hits ' is not controlled by CL

Pure economics folks .... ;)

Jim

Read the cautions on Craig's List for users. The big one is deal locally, see the item and the seller, don't send money.

If you look you'll find Craigs List littered with crooked ads that prompt you to send money by Western Union to some Ebay sponsored third party. Unfortunatley, your money goes to Nigeria and the product listed never belonged to the fictitious sell you sent money too. Ebay also cautions about this scam.

To keep Cralislist from having to become the Internet Police, they ask that we deal locally. I agree wiht that rule.

Well the only problem I have with dealing locally is the availability of Good Auburns in my 30 mile radius. I figured that myslef as many old car guys out there are not going to find what we are looking for in our neighbors shed. even if it was they probably don't want to sell it. Thus the need to search nationally for a car the owner actually wants to sell. Most people try craigslist first as it's free to list and easy. Much less complicated than an ebay classified. Ebays classifieds are only for a 200 mile radius as well.

I'm still hoping someone will explain the problem I had a couple of posts back.

I have been using sitemash with the 3 taps box checked. It does show all the craigslist results but 95 % don't have a photo and when you click on any of them for more info. you only get an empty screen with a feedback tab. Does anyone know how to rectify this problem? Am I using an outdated browser? Also the 3 taps box only lets you search the first page then it unchecks the box. If you recheck it then search again you get the first page again.

Hopefully someone has had better luck than I.

I'm sorry to say I didn't have any better luck than you. I just chalked it up to my my lack of finesse.

All the same, free enterprise found it necessary to implement anti trust laws, for the purpose of saving free enterprise. I hope ebay does not attempt to buy our car clubs. Dang right I can disagree with their free market activities, even if they are not technically illegal!

I'm sorry to say I didn't have any better luck than you. I just chalked it up to my my lack of finesse.

Dave

I think we have the same issue. Mine says that my browser isn't supported and has links to Firefox, Google Chrome and something else. I previously loaded some of these on my computer or so I thought but I keep getting this pop up and basically my work around is to go directly to that Craigs List mentioned.

I might see a Buick I want to check out and it says it's on the Sacramento CL. So I go there and find it. Slows me down for sure, can't browse as fast but I see no other work around for me --