Danvers, Mass. photos

Pete Phillips

I uploaded photos to Snapfish here:

www.bca2011.snapfish.com/snapfish

Unfortunately there was a smear on my camera lens I did not see until almost all the photos were taken. Must have forgotten to lick my fingers after the awesome hamburgers the hotel was serving next to the show field !

Chuck

Edited by chuckfmtexas (see edit history)

Dandy Dave: Saw those pics. Just wanted to note to others browsing this forum that there were many more Rivieras there than were pictured. I had the pleasure of being parked next to Dave Shipman's 92 Midnight Blue. Stunning car.

Thanks also for sharing your C36 with alll who were there. Not very often one can get up so close to one of these oldies to watch and hear it run.

Yup, Tunned up that 96 year old car myself! :D Tis far better to open the hood and dazzle them with brilliance, than to try to baffle the crowd with BS. ;) I'm glad to share that dazzeling 37 HP 4 Cylinder with gearheads everywhere. After all, that open overhead valve engine is what sold me on the car. I'm also ejubelated to report that the Judges decided that the car was worthy of a Bronze Award. You fellows took me by supprize as it is difficult to keep a car this old original, and tour worthy at the same time. I know it has some cosmetic short commings from original, but to just beable to get out on the highway and drive it makes it all worth while. :cool: Thanks, Dandy Dave!

...We had three digital cameras with us...it makes for getting more photos and missing less, but it does make photo management a bit more interesting.

I know how you feel.. last October, my family went to that really big canyon thing down in the south west (the proper name escapes me at the moment..), and we had 3 cameras.. I took close to 1500 myself.. add to that two otehr cameras with at least 500 each, my computer crashing, and the like, and you have chaos...

and my mom still hasn't gotten all the ones she wants together.. :P

On the off chance anyone cares, we flew to Halifax to Logan, then spent the better part of a week there. In Halifax, we took in the Citadel, the harbour board walk, the Marine Museum of the Atlantic (with a display on the WW I explosion - Massachusetts was specifically named in providing support after the explosion / fires), and the HMCS Sackville (last Canadian WW II corvette...now a naval memorial).

Another day we took to visit the Minas Basin area of the Bay of Fundy...we arrived shortly after high tide, looked, had a picnic, then went to turn the kids loose on the beach. On the way home, we stopped at Grand Pré National Historic Site, which documents Acadian life and the Acadian expulsion starting in 1755. I have some Acadian in my family line, but as near as I can tell, they went to Quebec before the expulsion.

Finally, on Thursday we took in Peggy's Cove to get up close and personal with a lighthouse.

Of some interest is the amount of shared history between Boston and Nova Scotia / Halifax. Before the American Revolution, parts of Nova Scotia were under British control, with Quebec essentially being New France and a smattering of Acadian communities (numbered about 10,000 around the time of the expulsion).

It was a good vacation. The next time we go back, we have to spend more time exploring the region.

post-32068-143138601305_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138601309_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138601313_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138601318_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138601321_thumb.jpg

One (just one mind ya) of the highlights of the whole show for me was the original condition (except for a repaint) four door super driven there by this sweet little old couple. The car had what we determined was a Marvel Mystery oil kit hooked into the carb. First I had ever seen of this. In fact I first assumed it was the standard retrofit of an air storage tank for the windshield wipers. The car also had a neat right side rear view mirror that worked. The original rear view mirrors are worthless on these fityfo's. I'm bettin the original owner kept the JCWhitney catalog wore out.

Got a picture of the couple next to the Landau which I could tell made their day. THAT's what makes these events so much fun and memorable.

post-31987-143138601377_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601379_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601382_thumb.jpg

post-31987-1431386014_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601416_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601431_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601448_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601464_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138601729_thumb.jpg

Lamar (and Miniteman Chapter folks)

Hemmings Motor News covered a car show in October 2010 which featured a 54 Roadmaster convertible and the owner was listed as from PLYMOUTH MASS.

I figured he would be there. I'll have to grab my Hemmings to get his name. I believe it was dark blue with tan covertible top.

Was it there?

Not there but I remember seeing it in Flint in 03. The owner yelled at my son Jordan, 12 at the time, "Don't touch the car kid!!!" when Jordan went to point at the unique frame-less side vent. Jordan always walks around cars with his hands behind his back but that one time and he got yelled at and called a "kid" which as we all know is a baby goat. Upset him for the rest of the day, we still talk about it and I have no use for the jerk owner and tell this story every chance I get. :P

And while here, here's a couple more of my favs from the showfield:)

post-31987-143138603272_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603288_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603304_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313860332_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603337_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603353_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603369_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138603384_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar,

I know most of these cars in your latest photos. Thanks for the view. I was too busy to get even one photo.

By the way, I think the one on the flatbed is still for sale, if you want to slip back in time a few years from 1954.

For Jake, the car in your guestion was Best in Show for Hemmings Concour last year or two, I believe. It is light blue, '54 Roadmaster Convertible, and well know in the area.

John

Lamar,

For Jake, the car in your guestion was Best in Show for Hemmings Concour last year or two, I believe. It is light blue, '54 Roadmaster Convertible, and well know in the area.

John

John, Kind of why I asked. I can't believe that he would take the car to the Hemmings show but when a Buick National meet is in his backyard, he is a no show.

Lamar, sorry to hear that story and yes they do stick with us. BUT, remember Ames, Abby got to take a photo in the back of the Landau and sat in a bunch of pre-war Buicks, rode in many of them.

I always let anybody sit in my cars at shows.

That's quite the shade tree 4 Bufords created for himself. John Scheib's car is a real looker. Of course, the Chartreuse Lady is the most famous Boohick around.

I was tempted by that '41 Special convertible, but the price drove me away. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not it was worth it, but I don't think it would necessarily be any more fun than my 41SE, which always gets a lot of attention and cost a lot less. Perhaps I'm just getting old, but with two young'uns over five feet now, the appeal of four doors and a large back seat continues to gain appeal...then again, they'll be driving before we know it.

I was tempted by that '41 Special convertible, but the price drove me away. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not it was worth it...

I was wondering what cars were in the Car Corral. What else was there and what was the price on the 41 Convertible?

By the by, did Neil from Goldenrod Garage make an appearance? Probably not but he has a few interesting Buicks for sale including a rare 39 Buick 2 door with the sunroof option.

The '41 was asking $32k if I recall. There was a '29 roadster for $25k. I really liked a '39 Century coupe that was something like $12k. First generation Riviera, at least one Reatta, a '64 (?) intermediate convertible - some rust but it was $4k. There were a couple other pre-war cars - a '30 or '31 and a '28 (?)...there was also the two toned '38 that was in a photo here. Sorry for the vague post - I'm working from memory. I have photos of most of these cars, along with contact information / price, although I haven't edited them down for size to post here. I have to step out shortly...I'll try to get them up later this week.

Guest BigDogDaddy

The Blue 54 Roadmaster conv, you guys mentioned was at a small car show in Marion Mass. the following weekend. As well as a few others that were in Danvers. The Roadmaster is gorgeous, but I didn't speak with the owner. Probably a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Man were we at same National, I don't remember seeing half those cars. Actually I remember seeing lots of them and thinking I want to get back and look at them closer but never did. Some beautiful 55 and 56's there.

Great pictures and nice photo program JD. Thanks!!!

Finally got this new program for some pictures.

CANON iMAGE GATEWAY

Mainly pulling this back to the top to make sure everyone saw JD's great photos.

But whilst here let me present a few "People" pictures for you viewing pleasure or displeasure whichever case it may be.

Derek, was that glass half full or half empty. Never mind, you really don't have to answer. But I got a feeling he will ...

I could have sworn that lobster was still moving. First lobster I'd eaten since my Marine Corp days back in '69 and we went diving for Spiny Lobster in the waters off Vieques Island Peurto Rico.

That would the Buick Gang Rascals displaying their Spam prizes donated by Sid.

post-31987-143138634513_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634516_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634533_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634535_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634536_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313863454_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634556_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634571_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634586_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138634602_thumb.jpg