GAS $$$$$$$$

Guest Richard D

Filled my Focus a 2 hours ago

Au $1.35 per litre = US$5.11 per US gallon (Au $1 = US $1 )

The rest world wonder how gas is is so cheap in USA

Guest 75RivGS

The Netherlands:

1.71 euro per liter.

that is US$ 8.91 per gallon :(

Luckily I converted the 2 Rivs to run on propane (US$ 3.55 per US gallon)

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

I believe Kevin is right about the price dropping when the drivers start buying less, also the stock market is a knee jerk reaction. On the radio the other day someone commented that oil was around $147 per barrel last year but gas was only $2.75 (depending on where you live)

Today oil is slightly over $100 and look at the price, between greedy oil companies and oil speculation, we must live with the results.

I know it will not make you feel any better but if you drive 10,000 miles a year and get 20 mpg you were spending $1,250 per year when gas was $2.50 or about $24 per week.

With gas at $4.00 per gallon you spend about $38 per week (roughly $14 per week more)

I know that is roughly 2 six packs, but you must cut back somewhere.

I know it will not make you feel any better but if you drive 10,000 miles a year and get 20 mpg you were spending $1,250 per year when gas was $2.50 or about $24 per week.

With gas at $4.00 per gallon you spend about $38 per week (roughly $14 per week more)

I know that is roughly 2 six packs, but you must cut back somewhere.

You're exactly right. Starting Monday the kids are going to be walking to school. :D Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Is more situational. Think part of the problem is that it really only affects those who drive their car more than 250 miles per week on an income under $50,000. This just eliminated nearly all lawyers and politicians plus those who have enough free time to do anything about it.

To a person who drives less than 100 miles/5 gallons a week, the difference is about 2 gallons of milk. So the best argument would be children who do not get milk (or is milk now bad for you) ?

What is probably going to happen is a windfall for TV makers (are any US based ?) as families buy 55 inch 3D TVs with six dimensions of sound & instead of going to the movies get NetFlix or cable on demand.

Not sure just how many realize the impact of big screen "on demand" channels and DVRs but the term "couch potato" has become a whole lifestyle as the whole TV/Internet/telephone structure melds and blurs while "2 day" and "overnight" "free" delivery becomes the norm. Windfall for UPS, USPS, FedX, and DHL but price of gas is just passed on.

No wonder new car sales continue to drop. For many even having a car has become optional.

I walked my sons to school for 8 years. If one can swing it, I highly recommend it. We had a lot of great talks. Amazing how people who live far closer to the schools would prefer to drive their kids, rather than walk with them. Given the traffic jams around the school, it was often faster to walk.

No US TV makers. Even those that used to be US brands like RCA or Magnavox. LCD panels all come from Korea or China. Now that Trinitron CRTs are dead, even Sony uses Korean panels. And yeah - the new internet-enabled TVs are a lot of fun. No wonder Blockbuster is shutting down their brick n mortar rental stores.

Guest Albert

If you guys think you are getting Hosed,, come to Canada,, we are paying now a $1.23 a liter,, which is about $4.92 a US gallon.. 6 months ago it was $.89. too bad my pay did not go up with the price of gas...

Guest Richard D

No wonder new car sales continue to drop. For many even having a car has become optional.

Padgett, Have you spent any time in Miami? Even with our elevated 1 billion dollar light rail system that runs at about 30% capacity you still can't get where you want to go. It has bright clean shiny cars and everything.

Not to stray too far off topic, but wws944's last post makes me think of another place I saved a lot of money. I haven't bought a new TV in over 15 years. I have a 27" Sony Trinitron I got for free about 11 years ago, didn't work. $40 in parts and about 2 hours on my test bench rebuilding the power supply made it like new. I am still using that one daily.

About 3 years ago I was given (free) a 52" RCA DLP HDTV that didn't work. Found the projection bulb burned out. Rather than pay RCA's ripoff price of $450 for a lamp module, I bought just the bulb for about $100, reused the mounting sled and got that TV working. Not bad for 15 minutes work and giving up a wallet sized portrait of Ben Franklin.

I will not buy a flat panel of any sort until one of these dies, and maybe not even then since I only need one TV. More money in my pocket, or perhaps I will just burn off the savings in my gas tank.

Consumer electronics companies really hate guys like me, as I refuse to be bound by their planned obsolescence. Actually, with a 20 year old Buick and a 16 year old Caddy, I suppose car companies don't much like me either. I guess you can all tell I feel really bad about that. Ok, not really.

KDirk

Oil is traded in the Commodities market. If you are a masochist, you can visit this site every trading day o see what is happening.

Energy Products

Traders look for any excuse to drive the price up. It is a head game and a gambler's paradise. Saudis agreed to make up shortfall from Libya, but that didn't make a difference to the traders.

With my Reatta getting about 14 MPG around town, it is parked.

With some of you talking about the kids walking to school, let me vent.........

As most of you know nothing is close in Texas, but the school bus comes and picks up the kids in my area (my kids have kids so I can step back and look at the problem)

There are three different buses (I'm guessing elementry, middle school, and high school)

I have been told that they cannot mix the kids, big kids picking on little ones etc. Also note that these are all big buses probably seat about 50 and maybe 30% full

Here is my plan. Park one bus. Take that driver and put him/her on one of the other busses as a guard/enforcer. We did not lay anyone off but we eliminated one bus and it's cost.

While on this subject, all taxpayers must push for year-round schools. If you own a business, would you close it for 3 months? We taxpayers are paying for schools that are only used 3/4 of the year in most places. Sure the teachers would complain but there are solutions.

Example, lets say a teacher makes $55,000 per year (a number published when talking about the problem in Wisconsin) and they work 9 months a year. That is slightly over $6,000 per month for the months they work or $4580 per month for 12 months.

The real question is what are they making for the months they work?

Choice one.... no change but the 9 months they work might change to 3 months work, 1 month off then repeat. That is the same amount of work but would rotate teachers. Another option would they could work and 11 months each year and get one month off, which they could apply for just like the rest of the work force does. How much more would we pay them for 2 more months? That would be negotiated. Even if they were paid $9000 for every month they work, we at least are using the assets that are now sitting empty for 3 months each year.

Before you jump on me for picking on teachers, that is just an example. Somehow the taxpayer must get some relief from city, state, and federal goverment that think money is growing in our pockets.

I think we are getting a little away from topic.

However having said that, what we could correct right away would be the city/county/state road workers we have here in Wi. In the winter months they typically sit in the shop for their 40 hours [no road work going on] Then when it snows out, they go typically with lots of overtime. Why don't we cut them down to say a 20 hour work week and then when it snows there is a lot of straight time that could be spent before the overtime kicks in.

Makes sense to me...

I think we are getting a little away from topic.

However having said that, what we could correct right away would be the city/county/state road workers we have here in Wi. In the winter months they typically sit in the shop for their 40 hours [no road work going on] Then when it snows out, they go typically with lots of overtime. Why don't we cut them down to say a 20 hour work week and then when it snows there is a lot of straight time that could be spent before the overtime kicks in.

Makes sense to me...

/Start Rant>

For the most part these workers "Bank" their time and use it for time off...

I work around these guys and they are certainly not just "sitting around" that is way to simplistic reasoning, just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not doing anything. If there is an expected snow storm they are sent home so as not to use their work hours up for the MOT (DOT) rules for hours worked in a day. They use up their bank time for those hours and then come in and work through the night....yes at time and a half. This is tough work, you are out all night in the worse conditions. You miss many family events and home time with your children.

Its different than shift work...that has a schedule. Winter road work is day and night without any real "time off"

</End Rant

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Is that because California is an oil producing state ?

This morning MSNBC stated that the gasoline blend in the state of California costs more because it is refined to burn cleaner and the state taxes it heavily by the gallon. A combination of Government taxation and Ecological lobbists (tree huggers) that drives the cost up at the pump. Add in the Wall Street greedy speculators jumping on any and everything as a reason to drive the price up and Im amazed that we arent paying much much more than we presently are. Just my .02 cent.....:(

Run that by me again ? "refined to burn cleaner " ? In what way, current standards already clean the air in some cities. How a bout a containment dome over La Brea ?

Oxygenate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We witnessed an interesting slow motion train wreck over the MTBE fiasco. Pitted the air pollution bureaucrats against the water pollution bureaucrats for a few years. End result is cars get worse mileage, gas costs more, and there is little, if any, measurable improvement in air quality. No refinery outside the state is set up to make the mandated boutique blends, the current refineries are running full tilt, and no new refineries have been allowed to be built in the last 30 years. But there is no problem. We'll erect some windmills and drive electric cars...

The madness never subsides in Sacramento.

Guest steveskyhawk

Actually the biggest problem is the Ethanol requirement. Ethanol or alcohol is not only bad for your car it also lacks the BTU content of gasoline which reduces milage. The reason we are required to have 10% ethanol is NOT due to the environmentalists but it is a political gift to Big Farming. I believe that is Federal Law.

With all due respect to Padgetts opinion, ive been to Texas and Florida and found them to be highly undesirable. California is paradise. Hawaii is nice too but I would not prefer to live on an Island. It is more expensive to live in California because it is worth it.

Guest Richard D

Way off topic, However In Florida we get days of warning before a natural disaster arrives, in California you get what, 5 seconds before the quake hits? Last time I was in SF several times a day the hotel room would sway, the front desk laughed and said they don't even feel those anymore. I was only on the fifth floor of the new Marriot.

My problem with California is that so many other people have found it ideal. Agree, Marina Del Rey has the nicest climate I have ever seen - no a/c and little heat needed. OTOH the 405 is the only place I ever got into a traffic jam at 3am.

On the gripping hand, ten minutes from my house you can see no sign of human habitation. 360 degrees. Can't even do that at Cheyenne Mountain but can from the middle of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex.

Am glad you do not like Florida, more people should feel that way.

Guest steveskyhawk

California has the strictest building codes in the country/world. I believe all of California is in a Seismic 5 zone. If your building is built to code then the quake would need to originate under your building to be of any bother at all. You will walk out when it is over. If a quake is not under your building then it is just a matter of holding up the scorecard.

Florida may have just as many earthquakes, just you don't notice shaking sand (unless a sinkhole forms - have been known to eat Porsches). East side of Orange county has to be built to withstand 150 mph winds, here its just 120.

Florida may have just as many earthquakes, just you don't notice shaking sand (unless a sinkhole forms - have been known to eat Porsches). East side of Orange county has to be built to withstand 150 mph winds, here its just 120.

So remind me again... How did this thread get from gas prices to building codes? :rolleyes::confused:

Guest steveskyhawk

Marck,

The price of everything is effected by location. If you study this stuff it is quite interesting that there is an equilibrium achieved.