GAS $$$$$$$$

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

This is such a scam, BP destroys the Gulf of Mexico ecosystem, run commercials for months on all the money they are spending to "make things right" with the people and animals affected then in less than two weeks sends the price of regular from $3.14 to $3.49. Of course all other oil companys join in.

Is Regular (10% ethanol) $3.50 where you live?:mad:

Guest Gman1023

Gas is about $3.399 where I live, but cross over into Jersey and I saw as low as $2.999/gallon for regular on Saturday. It's ridiculous. I don't see how BP has anything to do with the most recent price increases though.

Edited by Gman1023 (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

BP may have not started the current price increase but I saw a news story how they have found around 20 dead just born long nose dolphins in the gulf then saw the price at the local BP station. My brain exploded, sorry. Should I remove this thread?

Guest Gman1023

I see no reason to remove the thread, it seems to be a good one to me, I was just saying there's little correlation between the atrocious acts of disastrous irresponsibility commited by BP and the current rise in price we're seeing. The price increase is speculation related, stemming from the instability in the Middle East.

That said, it's a great thread and always interesting to see how gas prices compare across the country.

Edited by Gman1023 (see edit history)

Guest Gman1023
:D Beautiful collection of cars you have there, Marck. You Reatta guys sure are dedicated. They are truly great cars and a little known gem of the car collecting world. It seems too that when someone has one, they likely have 3+.

If we just had been developing turbo diesels for the last 20 years like in Europe...

$3.24 last time I filled but that was about two weeks ago. Might look at GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada - under $3/gal in Big Horn County, Montana.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Here in STL, filled up tonight with regular (87) 10% ethanol at $3.44/gal. Note that this price does not yet reflect today's market action where oil went to $100. I'm sure it will be up at least 10-15 cents tomorrow AM. We are still on "winter" mix as far as I know, so it will jump again when we start using the summer blend of gas here (thanks EPA, for adding another .25-30 cents a gallon) plus whatever the markets and the conflagration in the middle east decide to add to it.

I've no doubt we'll be over $4 just in time for Memorial Day unless we have an outbreak of political and economic stability very soon. Odds of that happening? Well, let's just say I'm a glass, uh, tank half empty guy in that regard.

On the other hand, since the US (and it's gov't) seem not to have learned anything lasting from 2-3 years ago regarding manipulation of markets and consequences of geo-political interference & meddling, it looks like we will get schooled again. They say practice makes perfect, just not sure how much more practice we can stand.

It is what it is until it isn't.

KDirk

Here in NorKal, regular is in the $3.70-$3.90 range.

...On the other hand, since the US (and it's gov't) seem not to have learned anything lasting from 2-3 years ago regarding manipulation of markets and consequences of geo-political interference & meddling, it looks like we will get schooled again. They say practice makes perfect, just not sure how much more practice we can stand.

Agree completely.

#include "standard_rant_that_Milton_Friedman_would_be_proud_of"

Guest Kitskaboodle

There is a station in Palo Alto that is $4.03

If not already, there will be stations in San Francisco

that will be $4.00 very soon.

DKirk.....$4.00 a gallon isnt coming.

It's already here. :(

Kit

Guest Double M

$3.49 in Levittown NY for Regular. Up from 3.33 a week ago.

My Reatta is getting at least 25MPG & I drive it 60+ miles a day.

My "experiment" in buying the Reatta has paid off. My Dodge Dipolomat was costing me at least $100 a week in gas. I am now able to use around $50 bucks a week now for gas. YAY!

I applaud you for admitting you drove a Dodge Diplomat. Was 'rehab' involved? :)

$3.49 in Levittown NY for Regular. Up from 3.33 a week ago.

My Reatta is getting at least 25MPG & I drive it 60+ miles a day.

My "experiment" in buying the Reatta has paid off. My Dodge Dipolomat was costing me at least $100 a week in gas. I am now able to use around $50 bucks a week now for gas. YAY!

Is that because California is an oil producing state ?

Sigh. I don't know what we produce anymore. Combine taxing/over-regulating what little oil is still being produced in the state (even though there is a LOT of it in the ground), taxing, taxing, and more taxing, every gallon used, and over-regulating the 'boutique' fuel blends that are different than any other state and - surprise! - you get very high gas prices.

Guest Road mister

I have received a few regular e-mails from freinds and family with all kinds of ideas on how the public should fight back. I have heard everything from skipping days to everybody avioding the two biggest suppliers.

One had tanker called The Valdiz and the other claimed to put a Tiger in your tank.

Works or not, "I'm in"

Also the EPA just approved increasing ethanol to 15%

NASCAR is now using an ethanol blend, milage is way down.

Edited by Road mister (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Orlando TV station had done some investigation a few weeks back and found that many stations already had concentrations above 10% ethanol. Some were around 18%, and one as high as 25%.

http://www.wftv.com/news/26876113/detail.html

Engine damage has already be attributed to this.

Love how they publicize some self-proclaimed economic expert who will say how the price of gasoline could reach $5.00 a gallon by Memorial Day and low and behold by the wonder of smoke and mirrors called by the name of supply and demand, it manages to become reality.

There is no change in the supply or price of crude due to the turmoil in the Mid-East yet by the producing OPEC countries, but we have supply being controlled by the fuel companies so they can stockpile reserves so that they can ensure they will have some to sell to us at inflated prices that will magically occur later, and can raise their prices now when there is no real rational to do so otherwise yet. The price of crude goes up due to the speculation and the "fear factor" in the commodity markets not due to true supply and demand.

We have always know that this commodity was being manipulated by the various players in the game, but we have been proven to be powerless to do anything about it so far. While the governments chose to protect these players and join in rather than invoke the Anti-Trust and Monopoly rules that are imposed on other markets, it will always be so.

Gas right now is $1.21 per liter

1 gallon [uS, liquid] = 3.785 liter

I'm assuming you Southerners use US Gallon?

The tank on my Truck is 95 liters.....

Oh and I agree on your economic statement, here is a news article from my local station today:

Drop in Auto Sales

Josh Pringle

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

High gas prices are being blamed for the slowdown in auto sales.

Canadian sales fell 4.2 per cent in February, breaking a 14-month string of recovering performance in the auto industry.

Auto industry analyst Dennis DesRosiers says weak February sales numbers pushed year-to-date sales down by 0.7 per cent.

Ford Motor Co. of Canada reclaimed its status as the country's top-selling automaker even as its February sales slid 10 per cent compared with the record-breaking results it logged a year ago.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Oil right now @ $102.58......Can $147 be far away?

Does anyone remember the gas prices in 2008?

Gold $1435 Highest price in history

Silver $34.87 Highest price in 31 years

A green pepper @ major supermarket today $1.49

This is going to be A VERY BAD YEAR......

I don't know, did the pepper come from the US or Peru ?

A healthy economy grows at about 5% a year and the value of the dollar against other currencies has been dropping steadily, few years ago the dollar was worth more than a euro ($1.39 now) and a Canadian dollar was 60 cents. About the only currency doing worse is the British pound (now $1.62).

This is going to make imports more expensive without anything else happening. If the inflation that is going to be inevitable is massive enough (hyperinflation), we won't be able to afford imports any longer and maybe will have to start growing/building things in the US again. Not only that but foreign debt will be nearly worthless (if in dollars).

I doubt that we will need wheelbarrows but the $500 and $1000 bills that were withdrawn in 1969 may need to be issued again.

Padgett is right on!

We have a 1999 Supercharged Riviera that is in storage.We use Sunoco Ultra 94. When I put it in storage last year the Sunoco Ultra was 2.96. Today it is 3.94 here is South Eastern Pa. I guess I made money on the gas currently in the tank?

Some people here are waiting in line at some of the lower priced stations over in New Jersey. I remember the gas lines back in the 70's and hope that does not return!

Guest Kitskaboodle

"Think you're feeling pain at the gas pump? Consider the residents of Lime Village, Alaska, an isolated Denaina Athabascan Indian community where gasoline prices have hit $8.55 a gallon."

(The quotation above was taken from Rueters)

Just thought I'd post this to make us "feel good" about paying $3.60+ a gallon

for gas. :)

Kit

"Think you're feeling pain at the gas pump? Consider the residents of Lime Village, Alaska, an isolated Denaina Athabascan Indian community where gasoline prices have hit $8.55 a gallon."

(The quotation above was taken from Rueters)

Just thought I'd post this to make us "feel good" about paying $3.60+ a gallon

for gas. :)

Kit

But how much gas do you really use in your car in Lime Village, Alaska?? Where do you go?? :confused::eek:

Guest Double M

$3.66 in Ronkonkoma, Long Island NY. 3/3/2011

These are my weapons against the price of gas...

1990 Reatta = 25MPG

2003 Stella =75MPG

1978 Honda CB400 = 50MPG

What are yours?

There is a theory that states the cure for high prices is high prices. In other words, when the price of (gas, or anything else; fill in the blank) hits a certain threshold of pain, demand tanks and shortly thereafter the price drops by necessity.

This is what happened when it hit its post-$147 low, and of course all the pump monkeys in the market have managed to get it up to within, dare I say, driving distance of that price point again. Perhaps we need a disclaimer: In the event of an oil price spike lasting more than four months, please consult your physician.

This too shall pass, especially since things are arguably worse on average in 2011 than in 2008. The number of long term unemployed is up, the price of food (and really anything that requires OIL to produce) is up and people I know (cross section of tradesmen, office types and retirees) do not have even as much economic leeway now as they did during the supposed height of the financial crisis. The high gas prices AND high food prices are going to tag team us all in a cage match, so do not underestimate the effect this will have on the economy at large.

The big variable is the stability (or lack thereof) in the middle east. Add to that the possibility of military action (read: poking an angry dog) if things over there get too sketchy and the price of crude may stay elevated much longer than us mere mortals can bear the pressure.

As far as how I'm coping? Well, I was already running a tight budget but one of the few luxuries I afford myself is eating meals out with some frequency (5-6 times a week, that's both lunches and dinners). I have already cut back further on that than I had previously, and many plans like a new stove and patio door for the house, both of which I do need are on hold. I'm just glad I only have to provide for myself.

KDirk

There are also other limits to how high oil prices can go. At certain price points, alternatives become economic. For example, almost any car can be fairly easily converted to CNG, LP, etc.

Reports of E85 price increases due to Mideast instability are surprising. But if true, can not hold for long in a truly competitive market. The main thing our government *should* be doing is ensuring that a competitive market exists. It should NOT be picking winners and losers. And it should NOT be participating in pay-to-play crony capitalism.

Unfortunately, our government has little interest in low energy prices - except around election time. The higher prices are, the more sales tax they can levy...

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)