Synchro gears for 1953 Buick Transmission

Guest funits

I have a 1953 Buick Special convertible with manual transmission. I've had it since 1997. It has always been "funny" to shift up from 1st to 2nd, and downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Over time, I find that in cold weather (below 60 degrees) I have much less trouble shifting. I have bought a "rebuilt" transmission and had it put in, but have the same trouble as my original transmission. I had the original transmission torn apart, and I have been told it needs synchro gears for 2nd and 3rd (I believe). I have not been able to find the gears anywhere. Does anyone know where I can locate the gears? My goal is to have a smooth shifting Buick, as I believe it should be. I have had all the bushing replaced in the linkages, etc.

Thanks!

post-50690-143138422309_thumb.jpg

Now that you mention it, there's a lot of talk that GL-5 gear oil (which is what is usually sold) is not the best for synchronizers. If you can find some GL-4 somewhere, it may help. I bring this up at the risk of starting a zinc/non-zinc type oil riot. :)

• 8 years later...
On 1/30/2011 at 4:34 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I have to double clutch or shift real slow on my 47 too. I just thought it was a carry over from my British cars that had no syncros either.

Bill, is your '47 is punishing you for your "dalliance" with Brittish cars?

8 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Marty, Dallince hell,  it was a full blown obsession back when I was much younger and could bend and fit into those cars.  I had everything from TR 3s to XKE s. I even worked for a while at a BL dealership.

Yeah, Bill, I resemble that comment:

'47 MG-TC

'55 TR-2

Several early and late '58 TR-3s

later TR-3A, and a B

'52 XK-120MC

early AC ACE - attempted conversion to Chevy 283 (about the time Carrol Shelby was creating his 260ci Cobra)

'59 Alfa-Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce

'58 Dauphine (Gordini-powered in 1964)

too many Citroens to list, but every version from DS to SM, 2-CV, AMI-6, and Mehari

Trade a headache for an upset stomache

Made me appreciate USA iron😎

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Learn how to float the gears.  Lots of you tube videos showing truckers doing it.  Same idea foe any manual transmission.  I had two '53 Specials in 1960, one standard and one automatic.  That summer I put two clutches in the standard racing and beating Ford an Chrysler products.  Figured if I could drive my '30 Pontiac without the clutch I could do the same with the Buick.  Only ever used the clutch for starting from a stop.  No more trouble, the standard was just as smooth as the Dynaflow.

Beautiful Car you have.

I second the MTL, it is made for synchronized transmissions. MT-90 is the same thing but a little thicker.

75W140NS (don't forget the NS) is thicker yet, and although it is rated for Hypoid gear use, it is still made and intended (and safe) for use with synchros. I have it in my 36 Pontiac. Shifts great.

Note: this thread is from 2011. The fellow who recently bumped it is looking for a 53-54 Buick stickshift bellhousing, not synchronizers or oil.

• Thanks 1