picture without comment

Guest weaving

I don't have a clever comment, I just want to say, HOLY COW THAT'S A BIG TREE! Old growth timber is simply amazing. My house was built in 1850 and has 2x20 boards in it. Think about it: 2x20 by 10 feet long, and each one probably weighs 100 pounds. Trees don't exist anymore to make wood that big today.

Those trees there are incredible. We will never see anything like them again outside of the national parks. Wow.

I have a book here in the collection somewhere that is titled,"This Was Trucking". Lots of pictures of early trucks hauling similar logs. Last I knew it was out of print. very cool book if you are fortunet to have it. :cool: I may have to dig it out and review it once again, :) Dandy Dave!

I don't have a clever comment, I just want to say, HOLY COW THAT'S A BIG TREE! Old growth timber is simply amazing.

Those trees there are incredible. We will never see anything like them again outside of the national parks. Wow.

Just think of how much bigger that tree would be if it had been cut down today versus back than.

I also would've liked to have seen how they got that log on the truck and what they used.

It's like the Hoover Dam. Yeah the Hoover Dam is big, but I find it just as interesting seeing pictures of the equipment that built it back in the 1930's.

.....It's like the Hoover Dam. Yeah the Hoover Dam is big, but I find it just as interesting seeing pictures of the equipment that built it back in the 1930's.

And the cool thing was that the cement was poured around the clock so that it would be one piece. Pretty amazing. :)

And the cool thing was that the cement was poured around the clock so that it would be one piece. Pretty amazing. :)

How about the cooling system that runs through the concrete? I could be wrong, but I believe it it still in use today as there is still latent heat from all that concrete curing.

That is a big chunk of lumber. I wonder what would have caused the rings to separate like that.

How about the cooling system that runs through the concrete? I could be wrong, but I believe it it still in use today as there is still latent heat from all that concrete curing.

That is a big chunk of lumber. I wonder what would have caused the rings to separate like that.

A forest fire long ago.

Guest Robin Coleman

Barry... A documentary I watched recently noted the cooling system was shut down and the pipes filled with grout some time after the concrete was poured. I do not remember how long the cooling system was in use. I do remember they said that without the cooling system in place the temps would have gotten so hot it would have led to cracking. Also, the concrete would have taken 125 years to fully cure. That dam was (is) an amazing feat of engineering, especially considering the time it was built. Like a previous reply, I am amazed also at the equipment used, particularly the over head cable system used to pour the concrete. I can just imagine the obstacles that would be impossible to overcome if OSHA and the EPA had existed then.

Guest Gary Hearn
I also would've liked to have seen how they got that log on the truck and what they used.

You can see the cables for the log loader in the background by the tree on the left. I would be more interested to see the saw that took it down (and the two men powering it).