Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

Actually it is kind of nice. When I’m in the bathroom (Reading the Bugle with the vent fan on) I can smell my Buick in the garage. Now what could possibly be wrong with that? Mud

Actually it is kind of nice. When I’m in the bathroom (Reading the Bugle with the vent fan on) I can smell my Buick in the garage. Now what could possibly be wrong with that? Mud

We run our furnace fan continuously. So earlier I did not think of the consequences of having the furnace fan cycle and thereby allowing garage fumes to penetrate the air duct system. Guess it's a good thing my system is separate from the garage.

Well, I finally got back to the Trans assembly on the 55. The Model T’s are in storage and the outside work is done. It feels good to get back to the project. It took about two nights to get back in the groove. The shaft endplay is set and the valve body has been installed and adjusted.

post-50945-14313872645_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138726453_thumb.jpg

Mud,

Glad you're back in the groove too! I'm getting ready to get started again also and will be needing lots of motivation from several of you guys. Looking forward to some good posts and lots of pictures. Matt

Ok Stealthbob, If I was a guessing man, I would guess that they would be put there to know that those bolts have been torqued to spec. for assembly. I think by looking at the picture, that is the valve body and it will be inside the pan, unviewable. Just a guess, I reckon...

Ok Stealthbob, If I was a guessing man, I would guess that they would be put there to know that those bolts have been torqued to spec. for assembly. I think by looking at the picture, that is the valve body and it will be inside the pan, unviewable. Just a guess, I reckon...

Yea but why the top of the bolt and the base as well...almost as if it is like a wax seal to check for tampering or a loosening of some kind. That doesn't really fit either because the base marks are not all lined up with the mark on the bolt.

A poster on another forum had written about that he had broken one of the accumulators off of his Dynaflow. Apparently it happened because the car had been lowered and he hit something while driving. Seeing how they are cast iron and are bolted to the aluminum part of the valve body housing does not appear to be a good scenario. Maybe he got lucky and only snapped the bolts.

105979d1320893944-55-century-66r-project-hpim3468.jpg

I learned to mark my bolts as I set torque on them when I was the service manager at an Ag dealership. The service manager was in a severe car accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. I was head mechanic in the morning and in the afternoon I was service manager and head mechanic. After that everything I set torque on or adjusted (Like Valves) were marked in some way or tagged. I have never had so many interruptions in my life as trying to do both jobs at once. It helps to mark them so you don’t miss any or forget where you were. The reason the sides are marked is that I started at a lower torque and move up so I marked them in different locations. Mud

I learned to mark my bolts as I set torque on them when I was the service manager at an Ag dealership. The service manager was in a severe car accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. I was head mechanic in the morning and in the afternoon I was service manager and head mechanic. After that everything I set torque on or adjusted (Like Valves) were marked in some way or tagged. I have never had so many interruptions in my life as trying to do both jobs at once. It helps to mark them so you don’t miss any or forget where you were. The reason the sides are marked is that I started at a lower torque and move up so I marked them in different locations. Mud

The things you learn...thanks man.

You realize now that my project will carry the same marks.....

Hey guys, the drain pan is beat up on the dynaflow. I am looking for a better one. (I posted on the buy/sell thread) Mud

Well, I spent an hour beating the tar out of this Trans pan and it’s looking better. I guess I will use it until I find a better one. Too much else to do to worry about it now. Mud

post-50945-143138730485_thumb.jpg

The pan looks completely functional. All you would need to do is use metal body filler to make perfect....can't see it anyway...but you know it's there...and besides the car is just a driver, right?...those toads that you missed with the tires will see it...and tell...:D

Willie

OOOPs, I forgot. it is a driver. I guess it is good enough. (Unless a perfect one comes along) Mud

I hope the toads don't talk to the judging staff...:D

They aren't allowed to per BCA Judging guideline 45.4a.

Plus, toads are unreliable witnesses.

Proceed, Ken.

and you have to be pretty low down to hear them in the first place.

I just washed blasted and painted the bell housing. I just love that Eastwood Grey Cast paint. I have had people ask me why I didn’t paint some of the front-end parts as they look like bare metal. Mud

post-50945-143138734156_thumb.jpg

I just started working on the torque converter tonight. About 10 minutes in to it I hit a roadblock. I need a clutch style socket to remove the Stator piston. Of all the tools I own, I do not have a clutch head socket. I have a few small clutch head bits in my bit assortment but no large ones. I hope I can find one tomorrow or my Saturday will be wasted. Ugh!

post-50945-143138757067_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14313875708_thumb.jpg

Local: try NAPA, or Harbor Freight/Northern Tool...otherwise McMaster-Carr. Also it is not that hard to make one with a Dremel-like tool.

Willie

I went to three auto parts stores, Lowe’s, Farm & Fleet and finally found a small set with a set of clutch head bits at Menard’s for $9.00. I was able to get it apart and replace the seal. Now I discovered another problem. I was checking the stator end play inside the converter and found It was .100. It should be .018 - .029. After checking my Buick parts book I discovered that my select fit washers that go behind the thrust washer are missing. The wear pattern shows they were never there. I checked my disassembly photos and confirmed that they were not installed. It is a wonder it even worked. I hope Fatsco has them or I will be looking for a donor.

Mud

Love the attached vid!...geeze did you kick the bench there at the end? heheheh

Great info...I for one really appreciate the effort to show us what you are doing.

Good luck finding those spacers

This is the unedited version. I bumped the tri pod. Oops! I was so hoping that this was a virgin trans but it obviously is not. As I keep finding things wrong. It sure helps to have the Buick Parts Manual or you could easily miss this stuff as the manual has some vague areas.

I had a little time to clean up the oil cooler and lines. The cooler was so pretty after bead blasting; I didn’t have the heart to paint it. So I gave it two coats of Eastwoods bare metal satin clear. Oh I forgot, I am building a driver, I am building a driver……………. Mud

post-50945-143138758951_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138758962_thumb.jpg

What is it about the absolute allure of new shiny metal that makes us go beserk!

I too like the bare look, plan on powdercoating some clear on my small bare metal parts.