Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

1955 Buick Restoration Update: After 2 years and two months the chassis is complete. The brakes have been tested and it is now ready to roll under the body. Happy New Year!

Link To Video

That looks great Ken! Plus we got to see the Mudbone garage with narration.

My youngest son is coming over this afternoon to shoot an HD video of my current progress. He just spent $800.00 on a computer upgrade so he can edit the HD video. The quality is outstanding with this camera. It will be cool to make a complete restoration movie when the car is finished and a copy will stay with the car. I guess I don't want my boys to forget how much hard work is going into this car so they will appreciate it when I am gone. Mud

Mud, what a great idea! You are so fortunate to have your son work on that with you. If you ever make copies of the movie, count me in for one. I'll even send you the R/W DVD to record it on.

Looks like a really nice job.............Bob

Now get the exhaust on and start that puppy up! That's my next project...

Now get the exhaust on and start that puppy up! That's my next project...

Apparently I was looking at your car and thinking about mine. Your engine isn't in yet :o !

Duh.

My original goal was to have a running chassis before the body goes on. Due to lack of space and a lot of final bodywork to be done, my new plan is to get the body on and fit all my panels and finish the bodywork. Of course I have been know to change my mind so who knows! Mud

Things change...I'm remined of a poster I saw a while back:

a-couple-of-hours-ago-there-are-no-athiests-in-foxholes-demotivational-poster-1256699202.jpg

I am unfortunately equipped with the attention span of the common house fly so changing your mind just once on something means to me your waaay ahead of the game.

Keep moving forward, guys like you push me.

Update on the inner fender seals I purchased a while back. Thanks to johnahboo who led me to 1955-1957 Chevy Rear Wheel Housing Seals I installed the left side this afternoon. It took about an hour but they fit like a glove. Yes it is possible to replace them but a real pain in the butt. I used a wide bill vise grip and tapped it with a hammer in several locations. (About a ½ inch at a time) I used baby power for a lubricant. NEXT, Mud

post-50945-143138393688_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138393698_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138393711_thumb.jpg

Mud, You might also try a mixture of dish soap and water. That what they use in the auto plants to install seals and rubber parts. Might be less messy than the baby powder. Just a suggestion.

Car is looking great!!! Keep us posted with updated photos..

I may try the soap and water, as I do not want any points deducted because of the baby powder sniff test. Mud

Jim, I took your advice about using soap. But even better I found some N.O.S. G.M. inner wheel well seal lubricant on E-Bay. It was only $29.95 plus shipping! Now I won’t have to worry about the sniff test and loose those precious points! PS. It worked much better. Thanks, MUD

post-50945-143138398072_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138398085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

GREAT video. I especially like the tip about the clamp on the brake pedal to stop it's traveling too far. I never would have thought of doing that PRIOR to a mishap.

Well, after an overnight stay in the hospital for tests and three weeks of not feeling well, I finally was able to move the chassis under the body. I now have room to work on the daily transportation. After that I think I will tackle the dynaflow. Mud

post-50945-143138434752_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138434763_thumb.jpg

Mud, I hope you are feeling better! What an accomplishment, when the body mates to the chassis..The finished project is that much closer when this happens. Stay warm and well my friend.

I hear chicken soup and Spam sandwiches work wonders:)

I finally got back out to the garage today. I loaded up the trans and had it power washed. I hope to start disassembly soon. Mud

post-50945-143138464327_thumb.jpg

Dynaflow disassembly has started. When I removed the pan I was very disappointed in the gunk I found. I then discovered that this was no virgin. Some one had been in the trans before. Several screw heads were stripped out on the valve body plate. I was starting to see $$$. But when I removed the pump, shaft, band and clutch plates it all looks good with little or no wear. The clutch band still has the printing on it. The drive plates look new. I do not have the back half apart yet but I hope it is as good as the front. Mud

post-50945-143138474456_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138474468_thumb.jpg

I have been very busy with work and home inspections so time for the 55 has been slim. I managed to get a few parts cleaned and painted and was starting to assemble a few sub components. I assembled the main clutch pack with new seals and tonight I was going to install the clutch plates. I pulled the washer kit out and discovered only a few of the thrust washers are correct. I checked my invoice and it reads 1956-1960. I would assume they gave me the wrong kit. I sent them an e-mail so we will see. Mud