55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

• 3 weeks later...
Use a bit of lock-tite on the bolts. The bolts that hold the cap on the vacuum portion of my pump came loose. It was chattering like two clam shells with every stroke of the pump. Not to mention I had no wipers as well!

Thanks for the tip. I have been using the blue removable lock-tite on many of the bolts and nuts just to make sure, and it is still removable without using heat.

Once again I am learning way more than I wanted to know about Early and Late 55 Fuel pumps.

The center sections will interchange as long as you use the lever from that pump. I was going to use my original lever in the late center body but it is too wide. The vacuum section on the early pump has a long spring pocket. The late has a short spring pocket. The early produces about 9 Hg vacuum and the late produces about 15 Hg The Early vacuum body has thicker walls than the late. How do I know this? When I staked the late body I cracked the housing where the stack marks were. It is very thin. (I have another one) I used a little JB weld so I could compare the vacuum readings. Oh by the way, when your trying to hook up the diaphragm to the lever… make sure you don’t have any hammers around or things could end badly. Mud

post-50945-143142115392_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142115405_thumb.jpg

Leave it to Mudbone to completely analyze and test those pumps!:D I cracked the only short pocket pump I have and it is in service with JBWeld also. That's another reason I leave the valves alone if the the pump is clean inside and if the valves are sealing --- a crusty unit is another matter.

Make a tool using a nail bent at 90* to help hook the diaphragms or let gravity keep the levers in position. That hammer temptation is something I have succumbed to :( (too many times).

Willie

• 4 weeks later...

I found some time last Saturday to test the rebuilt carb and fuel pump. I ended up using my original early top and bottom sections of the pump with a late middle section. I added a 1/16 shim washer under the vacuum side spring and it increased the vacuum about 4 Hg. I will run that for now anyway. After I was done that day I realized that the idle should improve when I bolt that heavy torque converter onto that light flywheel. So there is no sense in wasting any more time on it until it is in the car. I also have to rebuild the distributor, install the correct plugs (I am running 45s) and wires and advance the timing a little. One step closer… Mud

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

After contemplating the next step on Project 66R, I was torn between installing the engine and trans first and then dropping the body on; or drop the body so I have more room to install the engine and trans. After several discussions with Willie and changing my mind several times. I decided to drop the body first. Not my original plan but with space limitations I had to compromise. Well anyway I spent most of the morning getting ready and had it on the frame this afternoon.

post-50945-143142191046_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142191058_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142191069_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142191079_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314219109_thumb.jpg

Good job! How's the back and knees this morning? I don't see any helpers in the picture, which is a good thing (I had to send mine home since there were too many 'opinions').

You may have to put the motor mounts on the engine first, then install...no big deal if clearance issues.

Too bad only the lizards will see that frame detail from now on.

Willie

Good job! How's the back and knees this morning? I don't see any helpers in the picture, which is a good thing (I had to send mine home since there were too many 'opinions').

You may have to put the motor mounts on the engine first, then install...no big deal if clearance issues.

Too bad only the lizards will see that frame detail from now on.

Willie

No helpers, just patience. Actually I raised the chassis up to the body so I'm not hurting too bad. I made a quick video if anyone is bored and needs something to do, Mud

• 3 weeks later...

My body was worn out but my brain kept on going, so I came up with this. I took an exploded view of the steering unit (1954) and removed the letter codes from the various parts and put in the current part numbers for seals and o-rings. I hope this will help out someone else when they are doing a rebuild. (If anyone discovers an incorrect number let me know) Mud

post-50945-143142222661_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I lost winter storage for the Model T. So I have been looking all over to find it a new place for the winter. (Without winter storage for the T. Mama would not be very happy, as her car would sit out all winter. I would not be very happy because it would greatly hinder the already slow progress on the Buick. Saturday I stopped by the local storage place and asked about vehicle storage. He said he didn’t have any 10 x 20s available. I said, do you have anything smaller? Yea, I have a 10 x 15 open November 1st. Great, the model T is only 12 & ½ ‘ long, I’ll take it! Now I can get back on that steering gear! Mud

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Mud,

Why remove a shim? Dry everything and use anaerobic sealer, the excess will squeeze out, don't forget to seal the bolt threads also. I would vote against silicone gasket sealer, it is pretty thick and heavy. TJ55

There are about 4 shims left in the stack. I took out two .003 shims to get the rolling torque correct. If I put anaerobic sealer on all sides of the 4 shims, I'm sure it will take up at least .002. Any way, I will re-check my rolling torque when I am done and see what I end up with. Mud

Hey Mud,

Why remove a shim? Dry everything and use anaerobic sealer, the excess will squeeze out, don't forget to seal the bolt threads also. I would vote against silicone gasket sealer, it is pretty thick and heavy. TJ55

TJ, you were correct. I tried taking out a .002 shim and I coated all the sides of the four remaining shims and it was too tight. I put the .002 shim back in and it is a little looser but still in spec. Thanks, Mud

I've been following your project along since the start and think you are doing just an amazing job, it's looking just great. There is one thing though, I don't recall the factory using blue tape during assembly. :) Scott...

What color was It? I better get some! Mud

Wow, nice job!!! Are you able to put the column on over the steering shaft with the gear in place? I had to assemble it all together. Amazing job, and thanks for detailing in video. It is one thing to do it all. It is another to stop and record the fact.