2011 Buick Club National Meet Registration

BUICK RACER

The Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus, MA, has both....and very good....only about 10 miles south from Danvers on Route 1 (the hotel exit brings you right onto Route 1 south).

How does that go.......never order sushi in a Swedish Restaurant.

.......or when in cow country eat the beef.....when on the eastern seaboard go for the "Lobstah"

I'll take the "Chowdah" and Lobster, I want it all.

.......and a beer and a dog in Fenway.

I believe Patrick Henry said it ......"give me the chicken not the veggie".

Jack and John ....looks like a hall of a great time.

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

Guest reatta1991

Just got back from Hershey with my '67 GS, repeat preservation award in hand. We had a great time!

That started me thinking about attending a Buick Nationals...Danvers is as close to Maryland as a Nationals has been in a while, and I've not been to one of them since the late 80's.

So I downloaded the registration form, and noticed (as several others have) that the banquet doesn't include beef of some sort, only chicken or vegetarian. The wife and I don't eat vegetarian meals (though we respect the choice for those so inclined.) But there is no description of the type of chicken being served. Having eaten far too many meals labeled as "chicken" at work-related banquets (only to find it was "rubber chicken") our only comment can be: "No thanks, we'll pass." There is undoubtedly other food of some sort nearby - Denny's, TGI Fridays, etc., or even a grocery store with a deli.

Several of the class breakdowns include vehicles to 1999. New: 2011-1999= 13. Old: 2011 - 1986 = 25. I guess that relaxation of the 25 year rule slipped right by me! I'd better start keeping up with the "new and improved" BCA a bit more...

Examples:

L - 1968 thru 1999 (31 yrs)

N - 1967 thru 1999 (32 yrs)

P - 1965 thru 1987 (22 yrs)

This is a HUGE spread...what gives here? How long has it been this way? Will there still be just 3 trophies per class, or has the BCA switched to some other method? As I recall, "back in the day", you got a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Having not been to a BCA National Meet in a long time, I just don't know.

For now at least, I've set the registration form aside. Attending this one is going to take a bit more evaluation...I see that I have until early June of next year to register and qualify for judging. Guess I'll stand by and watch the forum, making my decision when June rolls around.

Bright side is that I'll be retired by then and won't have to worry about pre-approved vacation schedules!

Guest reatta1991

Thanks to you all for the updated info...looks like I have some serious reading to do!

(And yes, I'm already a member of the Reatta Division - and BDE!!!)

Don't worry about reading the entire judging manual. The key is that it is a 400 point system. 355-369 gets you a bronze, 370-384 a silver, and 385-400 is gold. It gets a bit more complicated than that, but ultimately the cars are being judged against end of the assembly line condition, not against each other.

Now, if you have a car that is at least 25 years old, the options open up for archival class or driven class, if you don't want the heavier judging, and assuming you / your car meet the qualifications.

Good luck. I'm still trying to figure out if I can make it work and, if so, in what fashion (i.e. drive or fly, and if driving, what, and for how long). I'd like to drive my '41, but that could be a long stressful drive in that car.

Also unlike AACA 400 point system where the high scoring car sets the standard and you have to be within so many points as Derek mentions with the BCA 400 point system your car merely has to place with the point ranges to be awarded.

And after you go to Boston in 2011 head the opposite direction about the same distance down here to Charlotte in 2012.

I have not been a BCA member for very long and have yet to attend a National. I usually attend the yearly ROA International meets (have been awarded a 4th, 3rd, 2nd in my class but still looking to get that 1st!).

BUT, because the 2011 BCA meet is in my back yard so to speak (about 30mi north of my home) I will be attending my first one. I'm trying to convince a fellow ROA member from the North Carolina Region to rejoin the BCA and attend the Danvers meet in exchange for me attending the 2011 Charlotte meet. Brian...help me out in getting Randall Crain to rejoin!!

Can't wait to see what the BCA Nationals are all about....come on July...get here soon!!

• 3 months later...
:) Actually we have plenty of beef in Boston, but we also have Boston prices, and in an effort to keep the banquet prices somewhat affordable, we chose to let members have beef on their own anytime they want during the week. We also have a lobster / clambake that people have asked us to redo ever since the 1998 meet. So we have done that on Friday night. I would encourage you all to at least register for a room at the host hotel ASAP as we are very close to full capacity.I also encourage you to email me if you have specific questions about the meet Jack Welch Meet CoChair

Derek (and others)

I suggest you send a message to Jack directly, as he inndicated. I think they were close to the rate for the reserved block, but if they are not honering the rate for rooms over the block (not sure what percentage of the total the block is) there could be a problem. It seems to me there should be more rooms booked for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

However, as we all know, there are many early bookings and later cancellations, so I would suggest booking nearby and waiting to someone posts their cancellation.

Hi John,

I've been exchanging e-mails with Jack. There were fewer rooms set aside for the BCA meet for Tuesday and Wednesday. Those have filled up. Later in the week, the BCA rate was still available. The regular rate is only $20 more.

My (personal) loss means that there are a greater than expected number of bookings for early in the week, which is a good thing for the National Meet.

I'm looking over the registration form and looking at the Classes.

There is an awful big span from 1914 to 1935. My personal feeling is that a car from the teens, and considered a Brass era car which is pre 1916, Should not have to compete with cars of the mid 20's to mid 1930's. I'm not sure if I can even make it at this point with my mothers health problems, and having to watch out for her. But if I can, I would chose to have the car NOT Judged because of the large span. Cars of the mid teens, and early 20's are hard to compete with the big cars of the mid 1920's, to the 1930's with nice shiny chrome vs brass or true nickle. I do believe there needs to be a change for the future if you want us guys with cars in the teens to have our cars judged. Dandy Dave!

Dave

First you are not required to have your car judged to have fun. Second you are not competing with other cars. All cars start with 400 points and deductions are made for deficiencies in authenticity, condition, and workmanship. Potentially every car in the class could win the top award; every car might not win an award. Either way I would look forward to seeing you and your very nice and unique car.

Willie

Edited by old-tank
sp (see edit history)

Dave,

Old-Tank is correct...if you have any further questions on judging, please feel free to ask away. The cars are individually judged against how they would have left the factory, not against each other.

You may have something of a valid point though in terms of judging the class. In my mind, it covers such significant change in Buick design that perhaps getting a judging team together with sufficient expertise to cover such a broad class may be difficult. That said, I don't know how many entries typically exist in the class, nor how easy / difficult it is to get judges comfortable with the class.

Dave,

I am trying to recall, but in Ames, I think we had just one car in Class A and about 10 judged in Class B. The same team judged both classes, and while there is quite a spead of years, there seems enough experience of the judges to make proper judgements.

John

OK note taken on the Judging part.

I guess I have been to too many "antique car shows" that have nothing but Hot Rods and the guy with the 1914 T Bucket that does not have one authentic T part on it of any year gets the oldest car award. Kinda takes the fun out of keeping an early car road worthy when you know you are the only "True" early car there. I dropped out of my local County car club because a lot of it has turned to hot rods and I'm really not that interested.

I do know that there is a lot more to the shows than judging, and I have had more fun at shows that are not Judged. Flint in 08 was a Blast. And the after tour was even more fun. I like to open the hood and dazzle the crowd with the open overhead valve arrangment on my car. I find that young folks are drawn to it and I hope that a few would catch "the original bug" and not drop modified 350 chevys in everything. I find that many people are amazed that a 96 year old car still runs on the road and retains its original running gear. Dandy Dave!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 4 bufords

looking forward to seeing you and your familt thriller,we met in ames last year.lots of history in the new england area for you folks to learn more about.see you in danvers,4 bufords from ct

• 1 month later...

I sent in my registration late last week.

Just a reminder registration must be postmarked on or before June 17, 2011 to qualify for judging.

That's less than SEVEN weeks away.

This was a great show in 1998 and I expect no less this time around!!! Get your registration in ASAP!!!

Judging went back to Saturday because it has been tradition to have it that day since the Club started having National Mets. it was only changed at Ames because of the "open" car show on Saturday. The agenda for National meets is so crowded in a very limited number of days, so It seems that Saturday works out best.

No, It changed at Ames because we wanted more time to do the paperwork associated with judging and we wanted to see how it works. Plus if it had rained all day, we still would have had Saturday to judge. We put the Open car show on to give everyone other cars to look at and to give $ 3,000 to "Make a Wish".

• 2 weeks later...