My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

HELLO BERNIE

I CAN SAY ITS NOT ONE THING YOU DO THATS IMPRESSIVE, ITS EVERYTHING, I DONT BELIEVE THE PACKARD EVER LOOKED THIS GOOD WHEN IT WAS NEW,HATE TO SEE IT FINISHED BUT LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE NEXT PROJECT GO FROM JUNK TO GOLD,KEEP UP THE DRIVEN SPIRIT WE CAN ALL TAKE LESSONS, SINCERLY DAVE

There are details and then there are small details, all are equally important in the over-all scheme of things. In the woeds of the old song "little things mean a lot!"

The holiday season starting to wind down I could collect the breeching staples from the plater where they had been receiving a shiny coat of nickel, while my good friend Tony the trimmer was converting a couple of off cuts of the upholstery hide into door check straps. With everything collected into the one place it was the work of minutes to screw them on. Another job done and now there is no chance of straining the door hinges by opening the doors too wide.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172719[/ATTACH]

Funny -I thought these things were called footman loops. Is this a south of the border thing?

Thank you Tony

I bow to your superior knowledge and vast experience. I am sure that in addition to the family Dodge and your faithful old Peugeot station wagon you have restored literally dozens of superb cars to impeccable condition. Why don't you start a thread here so we can all enjoy them? Have you sorted out that vibration in the Dodge yet?

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Sorry Bernie

The comment was very much tongue in cheek. You would appreciate that many who live north of Wodonga hold that opinion that Victorians speak a different language. I for one was confused when my Esky was described as a car fridge!

Perhaps we are different people. I am slow, methodical and pedantic with a fetish for originality down to the last nut and bolt. My enjoyment comes from small goals during a restoration and I find the final driving experience to be somewhat of a letdown. Playing with old cars is a personal thing and I don't expect to gain recognition from others on the number or quality of restorations undertaken. I do not seek to judge others in the same game and would hope that they reciprocate.

No, the Dodge still has the vibration and I feel that the only partial remediation will come from a complete strip down and balance. I strongly suspect that the clutch is the main culprit. However, this will have to wait until the Peugeot is finished later in the year. Details of that job are in the restoration section of Aussiefrogs.

Turning to your last Dodge, I would be interested to see a photo taken from the rear, particularly how you handled the rear suspension. Did you taper the chassis inward a la Bugatti?

Respectfully

Tony

Hi Tony

Apology accepted. We enthusiasts down here in Victoria take a totally different approach to our cars too. The Packard falls into the category of a Project car. You can expect to see it being offered for sale any time now in order to finance my next project. I am a compulsive obsessive rescuer of basket cases and lost causes. Having said that it is always my aim to have my cars 110% right. My other car a 1934 Lagonda Rapier has been with us since 1978 and will probably become part of my estate. It is driven competitively in VSCC events and is taken to Europe every five years where it is our daily driver for between three and four months. Our next trip away is in 2014. and will take us to VSCC Events in the UK, a number of rallies in France, down to the Pyrenees for a week or three and then probably over the Alps to Italy and into Switzerland. The Rapier loves mountain roads.

If you send me your e-mail I can send you a folio of Photographs of the "Flying Four" It now lives somewhere in Queensland.

post-51681-143139340237_thumb.jpg If you look closely you will see that we are taking part in the Chanteloup les Vignes a hill climb in a Village on the outskirts of Paris

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Hi Bernie,

You'll be interested to know I'm going out to the airport on Saturday to pick up my cousin and her husband. They are Australians but now live in a little town called Boersch ( I hope I spelt that correctly ) which is near Strazbourg, close to the E35 Freeway. He's ( now retired ) a professor at the University and does research in Inorganic Chemistry. He tried to explain one day what he actually did and I was lost after the first ten words. Don't think he could fix a car though even if his life depended on it !!!

Keep the photos coming...like a lot of readers, looking forward to the finale.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

What is it about "Inorganic Chemistry" that you do not understand? You just have to learn to concentrate more on what is being said!

In line with my comment re wanting my cars to be 110% right, I have just spent the last two days with the generator spread across my work bench. For some reason the charge rate was either spasmodic or totally absent. Finally it is all back together and on the car again.

The armature has been checked on a friendly auto electricians "growler" and pronounced healthy. A set of three new carbon brushes fitted, the commutator has been cleaned up and new plate to replace the missing one that retains the bearing at the outer end made and fitted, finally the wiring circuits checked. Now at last the amp-meter shows a nice steady 8 amp charge. This can be adjusted up or down if necessary by moving the third brush. To complete the job the date was stamped into the end plate.

post-51681-143139341686_thumb.jpg

The final finish touch is now in place. Our son Steve finished the gear lever knob earlier this week, he has just delivered it this morning. It probably needs just a coat or two more of wax polish to give it the right amount of patina otherwise it is a fitting end to what has been a sometimes trying but always satisfying restoration.

post-51681-14313934195_thumb.jpg

I hope to have a "photo-shoot" over the next three or four days and should have a complete folio of photographs available to potential purchasers. Genuine expressions of interest welcome.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

So OK all you eager Aussies what did you do this sunny Saturday morning? After some running I noticed that two of the priming taps were leaking under compression so I removed the culprits, dismantled them and lapped the conical taps in with some fine grinding paste re-assembled them and returned them to their rightful place in the cylinder head. I then went over the left hand side of the engine and nipped up the umpteen 1/4 inch bolts retaining the water side plate as I had noticed one or two just starting to weep very slightly.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

post-51681-143139343048_thumb.jpg

Yes all you super critics. I said bolts, they are of course technically screws. Another point that the perfectionists seem to have missed, my engine paint is not quite precisely the right shade of green for an early 1920s Packard. I believe with use, age, heat, weather etc it will "mellow" to exactly the right colour.

Before you say anything.... I know that I have plain cylinder head retaining nuts. Domed or Acorn nuts were not introduced until 1924/5 at the earliest. Plain nuts are absolutely correct for a Series One, 126 Single Six!

Hi All

I have just invented a new game for car enthusiasts of all ages. "Find the missing contact" or "I wonder where the current went." Going back a couple of posts I described rebuilding the generator. This is where a little knowledge can be dangerous. When re connecting the generator I discovered that the correct terminal #2, on the back of the switch was "dead" I very cleverly made a little bridge to link this with the ignition circuit #3. This worked fine! Just one problem. Once started I could not turn the ignition off again! Even though disconnected from the battery the engine continued to run "on the generator". Looking again, comparing the actual internals of the switch with the diagram of the internal working of the switch I could easily track the path of the current, the only problem was that one contact was missing from my switch. I phoned my Chief Packard Guru in Sydney David McC. Yes he had the remains of a spare switch he could easily remove the required contact and post it to me. The only problem was that when he looked that contact was missing from his switch too. Fortunately there is another identical contact on the lighting side of the switch so he is able to send that one to me. My only thought is that this contact is the hardest working in the switch passing current each time the ignition is turned on or off. Given that there is a small spark arcing across the contacts, perhaps just this one contact burns slightly each time it is switched on or off, until it needs to be replaced. Fortunately the contacts for terminal #2 and #6 are inter-changable, as are those for #1 and #5. Anyone who actually owns a series one 126 Single Six, perhaps you would like to remove your main switch dismantle it and tell me what you see. Attached are two photographs of the internals of my switch and a copy of the diagram from the 1923 "Operation & Care" book. As I said in an e-mail to David McC, I can and often do take the switch apart in my sleep. Sweet dreams or night-mare?

post-51681-143139344877_thumb.jpg

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

post-51681-143139344857_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139344869_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141716047_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141716055_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141716062_thumb.jpg

And now a question that I would welcome some educated replies to:-

Given that my 126 Single Six is pre 1924 and that the body panels (all original) from the windscreen back are aluminium can I assume that this can be correctly described as a Pullman body?

I have carried out a number of searches (Google etc) and have been unable to find a definitive answer.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Guest donald ellis
And now a question that I would welcome some educated replies to:-

Given that my 126 Single Six is pre 1924 and that the body panels (all original) from the windscreen back are aluminium can I assume that this can be correctly described as a Pullman body? Bernie: I don't think so. My sedan is also aluminium from firewall back and I've been told that that doesn't qualifyit as a Pullman Body. My impression is that Pullman built special order bodies. I could be very wrong but if so I've not been told so when posing this same question.

I have carried out a number of searches (Google etc) and have been unable to find a definitive answer.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

I've been told that Pullman bodies are special order affairs. My 1922 sedan is also aluminum from the cowl back and I've been assured that it is a Packard body. If you get a definitive answer I would also like to hear it.

Hello Donald

I am also almost convinced that the coupe was a standard Packard production body.

There were a variety of things stopping the car from idling properly. Firstly ignition timing being too far retarded and then the mixture was all over the place. Having gone back and set the timing exactly as detailed in the Operation & Care book and then having done the same thing with the Auxiliary Air Valve I believe that I can get the engine right down to a normal idle. The leaking priming cup/taps on two cylinders would not have helped either. You have to remember that the engine had not run for at least 50 and possibly anything up to 75 years. I had originally left the carburettor settings as I had found them.

Once I finally sort out the mystery of the missing contact in the ignition side of the main switch, it should be ready to drive. I find it much easier to sort out all the inevitable little teething problems at home before dashing off into the wide blue yonder. As I have already said I want/expect the car to be 110% right in every detail.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Hello Donald

I am also almost convinced that the coupe was a standard Packard production body.

There were a variety of things stopping the car from idling properly. Firstly ignition timing being too far retarded and then the mixture was all over the place. Having gone back and set the timing exactly as detailed in the Operation & Care book and then having done the same thing with the Auxiliary Air Valve I believe that I can get the engine right down to a normal idle. The leaking priming cup/taps on two cylinders would not have helped either. You have to remember that the engine had not run for at least 50 and possibly anything up to 75 years. I had originally left the carburettor settings as I had found them.

Once I finally sort out the mystery of the missing contact in the ignition side of the main switch, it should be ready to drive. I find it much easier to sort out all the inevitable little teething problems at home before dashing off into the wide blue yonder. As I have already said I want/expect the car to be 110% right in every detail.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

You simply cannot imagine how frustrating I find not having any early history or for that matter ANY history for the car.

After all exactly how many people did export a derelict vintage Packard to Australia any time between 1950 and 1965. If they are having trouble remembering , they or someone close to them chopped the roof off AND fitted four brand new white wall tyres before it left the USA.

Hopefully the attached photograph may help jog their memories.

post-51681-143141717149_thumb.jpg

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> There has been some productive activity on the Packard Information site over the last couple of days, including my 2 cents worth, regarding Pullman bodies. The information all points to Pullman being one of a number of body builders that Packard out sourced to for manufacture of its standard bodies. Pullman did not custom build special orders like the famous coachbuilders.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Hi David

All that makes interesting reading but unfortunately is not conclusive either way. I have just added my six-penys worth.

I think that as far as this car is concerned the subject has run its course. One thing is sure, that the body left the factory as a Type 222 (4 passenger) Coupe. At least 80/85% of that body still survives on the chassis it left the factory attached to.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Today has been different, while I am waiting for the post-person do deliver the switch contact that David McC has mailed to me, I filled in the day catching up with all those little jobs that tend to be put off for another time. First I filled up my grease gun and with the aid of the Alemite grease connector adaptor I climbed under the car to grease all 34 grease points mentioned in the Schedule of Lubrication. While I was underneath I checked that every castleated nut actually had a split pin through it. While on the job I adjusted both the hand and foot brakes so that hopefully I can stop the car once it gets out on the road. The main problem with Two Wheel Brake cars is that you can usually stop one or both back wheels from turning but that does not always stop the car. Something to look forward to?

Finally I rescued a nice length of hardwood from the scrap bin. This is just the right length and size to make a dip stick for the petrol tank AND it fits snugly into the drivers door pocket. If the original petrol gauge had still been in the tank it would have been impossible to read as it would be hidden behind the spare wheel mount. One thing about a dip stick is that they are always reliable. I gave up on the dashboard gauge in the Lagonda years ago and now rely exclusively on the dip stick. It does mean getting out of the car to check the fuel level but it is better than being stuck in the middle of no-where because the Petrol gauge was not telling the truth.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Right on que our trusty post person sped up to our gate around midday. There among the bills and junk mail there was the envelope from David McC bringing the contact for the ignition switch as promised. Lunch over it has been the work of just a few minutes to slip the contact into its position and to close up the switch. All that remains now is to connect up the various wires to their respective terminals. This again should go smoothly in addition to colour coding the wires I have taken the added precaution of tagging each wire with the number terminal it connects to. Attached are photographs of the internals of the switch (for you to compare with the earlier photograph) a rear view. The sharp eyed among you will be able to see the numbers 1 to 9 around the terminals and one from the front with the switch all buttoned up.

Once again a huge thank you to David McC what would we Aussie 126 and early Packard owners without your wisdom, ready assistance and support.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

post-51681-143141720178_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141720156_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141720171_thumb.jpg

The pursuit of perfection can be a long and arduous journey!

Having got the Packard to a stage that it is starting on the button and idling nicely it seemed to run only as long as the contents of the carburettor float bowl permitted. While the Vacuum tank was full the fuel was not reaching the carb in sufficient quantity to keep the Carb supplied. Back to basics....

There was sufficient fuel in the Vacuum tank, the pipe from the tank to the carb was free from any obstruction. I could disconnect this pipe from the tank but the fuel was only slowly disgorging from the tap. BUT if you removed the plug from the top of the tank it would flow normally. Probably there are many of you who have never seen a Vacuum tank and even more that have never seen inside one. There are in fact two tanks, one inside the other. One to draw the petrol from the storage tank by means of the vacuum created in the inlet manifold. The other to deliver the petrol to the engine. To do this the second tank must be vented to the atmosphere. Therein lay my problem. The vent for this second tank was almost fully blocked. having removed the top of the tank I could remove the vent pipe and clear it by passing a length of welding wire through it. With the top secured again the petrol could flow in a continuous stream. Problem solved.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

post-51681-143141723296_thumb.jpg

If it ain't one thing it is another......

Yesterday while demonstrating to my brother-in-law how easily the Packard started I pressed the horn button. The result? Nothing! now I have something else to check out today..It WILL be 110% perfect!

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

Bernie - because of your 222 restoration, I've become a huge fan of the early Packards. Thank you for bringing one of the best, back to life. She sure is fetching. Just the right amount of everything, except hours behind the wheel, and that will surely come, in time!

Thank you too for the vacuum tank drawing and explanation. Some of us youngsters surely haven't seen, nor fully understand the theory and workings of the internals of the classics, but thanks to you and your patient explanations, we are learning. Thank you for being the special person you are.

Forever an oldcar fan,

Chuck

Bernie,

I totally agree that the project turned out beautifully and I don't think that there was a bad shot in the bunch of pictures you took/posted. I also agree with Pat and hope that you get some fun/enjoyment from her before you let her go. At least for me, maybe all of us that have been following along, it was again well worth the wait to see the end result. Scott...

Hi all

thank you for all the compliments.

Scott, I have already had two and a half years of fun/enjoyment from her! As I have said innumerable times I am a compulsive obsessive restorer of lost causes and basket cases. Once one is finished I can't wait to move onto the next one. Just think of all the fun and all the people I have met chasing parts and information. I now know more about early Packards than many people who may have owned one all their lives. The one problem or perhaps good thing is that due to both financial and space restrictions I can only do one at a time. Having said that by restricting myself to one project car at a time I concentrate on that one car and actually get it finished. Think of all the people that you know with a shed/barn full of cars that will never get restored. I have a "shed full" of marvellous memories. By chance just today I made contact with a Crossley (The English one) that I rebuilt years ago.

As I keep saying

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

Hello all you eager beavers,

I have just returned from my first drive and the Packard's very first time on Australian roads under its own power. Just a couple of observations, the steering is a tad heavier than I expected, I need to take the foot brakes up a notch or two and the gap between second and top gear was wider than perhaps I am used to. Having said that it went up my #1 test hill in top gear effortlessly. The radiator got a wee bit hotter than perhaps I expected but it had been idling in the carport for some time and had quite a bit of manoeuvring back and forth to get out the drive way in reverse*

also the motor is still very new and possibly a little tight still. The main thing is that it has proven that the Vacuum tank is doing its job.

* We have a large tree right on the edge of the driveway which has been known to jump out and bite rear fenders.

Keep on keeping on

Bj

Hi Keiser

I have enjoyed your company thank you for all your support.

Roger "The amazing model maker",

Regarding that tree all that I can say is that it has a very rough "Bark".

Hello Dan

Welcome to my thread, what you need to do now is to go back a step and read the DIXIE Flyer thread. Just put Dixie Flyer into search.

I have been offered the "makings" for my next project, this time an English 1920's "Light Car". It will take me back into familiar territory, I have owned four or five in the distant past but nothing decided yet! As I said to the potential donor, "I have to sell the Packard before I have space either in my life or in my garage, until then you will have to keep guessing.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.

One fine car and one great man!!! Been watching this project from the beginning as the ugly duckling, and watching it as it was transformed back to it's former glory. Great job Bernie! Would love to see some glamor shots of it.

Hi Bernie,,,,I've been missing as the computer blocked me for a month or two,,,

If it still runs warm,,face it into the wind and let it idle for an hour or two,,usually 45 min is enough,,

The cylenders will polish,,and free up,,and on shut-off the engine will back rock,,,,,

Are there any Panhard-Levassor chane drive cars down there,,,

Glad I could share some of this useless info,,with someone that at least known of what I speak,

Cheers,,Ben

Hi Ben

I have overcome the tendency for it to run warm. I put another bucket full of water into the radiator. It must have an air lock when I initially filled it.

Checked it again after it had cooled down and filled it next morning.

Keep on keeping on

Bj.