Charlotte Damage

A post or two have been deleted about an occurence at the Charlotte Meet. You know the story about telling one person you found a penny and by the time it gets around someone found a million dollars? Well, that is what we did not want to see happen. The posts were deleted to avoid negative puiblicity and having the story get larger than it was.

However, it is news and I will do my best to separate fact from fiction. It appears that 3 juveniles found a can or cans of marker spray paint used at the meet. They used the paint to damage the interiors of cars on the showfield and in the Autofair. New cases are croping up but it seems it was under 15 cars. Several of the owners were able to clean the damage very quickly. Thankfully the cans were not enamel or lacquer.

Sources indicate that Lowe's security apprehended the kids witht the oldest being 16. This appears to be a case of opportunity versus anything planned. No one in the hobby can every recall anything remotely happening like this.

The Hornet's Nest Region and AACA deeply regret that this happened but both organizations jumped to assist the owners as soon as they were made aware of the problem. A very isolated instance we are sure and nothing more than 3 children who saw an opportunity and seized upon it. We all hope they get a lifelong lesson in the consequences of their actions.

We also hope all the owners are able to clean the damage off perfectly.

Thanks for the update Steve. I was at the membership tent when the first report came in. We immediately began seeking out car owners and surveying damage. I spoke with some of the sheriffs deputies who were on the scene. The response was very quick and professional. I tried to speak with each vehicle owner to express our regrets for what happened and will continue to follow up with them with the hopes that this doesn't dampen their spirts. With all that the old car hobby has to offer, it is indeed a shame that these individuals chose another direction.

Terry

Sounds like good work all around by the AACA HQ, and local. Glad we have the full correct story.

When I first heard of this, and likely the same effect for many readers, I was afraid the antigue auto hobby was experiencing some sort of Eco attack by someone who thought we should not be playing with old cars which guzzle gas. I am glad that is not the case.

John

Talk about a meet chairman's worst nightmare.....

Just out of curiosity, how will the damage be covered??

Will it fall back on the parent's of the juveniles involved, the vehicle owners, the region or national??

In either case, my primary concern is for the vehicle owners, but my condolences also go to the members of the Hornets Nest Region.

As in all such insurance matters, the car is covered by the owner's personal car insurance. It becomes primary.

The legal matter will have to play out between the car owners and the parents of the children. I hope there is a consequence of their actions and hitting them in the wallet is just one thing I hope happens!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Thanks Steve, for clarifying the story; I showed two cars at AutoFair, and it was an incomprehensible thing to happen the cars involved. It's good to know that the kids seized an opportunity, rather than it being a calculated attack.

Youngins are capable of doing some pretty hateful, nonsensical things, not realizing the severity of their actions, and I agree that they'll hopefully learn a life's lesson from this...

That is, once they can sit on their keesters again.

TG

Guest billybird

Many times those who come up with these studies are people who don't even have kids or have never had kids. How can they know ANYTHING about kids if they don't have any? I have two; therefore I speak from experience. In my opinion; for the most part, I'd say these people are just nonsensical bablers who like to hear themselves talk. I've always heard a wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something. I agree; a good spanking is in order when needed. However, when I was growing up we called them whippings. I got my share; maybe thats one reason I grew up respecting other peoples property, unlike these clowns at Charlotte. My car was one of the damaged ones. I am just glad I was able to completely remove all traces of the foolishness; but I should'nt have had to.

It is indeed very sad that this happened. Speaking from experience, the NC Juvenile Justice System, like most others, is ill prepared to deal with this sort of issue.

Thankfully, there are products available that should be able to remove all traces of this type of paint without damage from most surfaces, so the long term damage should be minimal in most cases.

Respect for other property of other people has to be taught in the home. Hopefully this is a freak incident and will not ever be repeated.

It does serve as a reminder for all of us to watch out for our stuff and to be careful leaving tools and supplies lying around where it might be used in an inappropriate manner, especially around car shows.

Guest lehua768

We immediately began seeking out car owners and surveying damage. I spoke with some of the sheriffs deputies who were on the scene. The response was very quick and professional. I tried to speak with each vehicle owner to express our regrets for what happened and will continue to follow up with them with the hopes that this doesn't dampen their spirts. With all that the old car hobby has to offer, it is indeed a shame that these individuals chose another direction.

Guest Siegfried

Billybird, I agree with you 100%. Spare the rod, spoil the child, and the result of the rod sparing, when it is needed, gives society idiots such as those who vandalized your car, and others at Charlotte.

I, and my siblings, got our fair share of spankings growing up, and we ALL respect other people’s property, and opinions. What the devil has happened to society since the end of the 50tys and maybe even 60tys?

I sure hope this never happens again at an AACA meet.

Bill and I were there when a friend of Moepar and her husband came running up to let them know this was going on. Luckily by the time we were saying our goodbyes at least two of the boys had been caught.

Two of the folks who's vehicles were damaged were judging at the time, one of them on Bill's team. One of the vehicles was an open Model T truck (the paint was removed successfully right after it happened) and the other one was a closed sedan with the windows rolled up so the kids had to open the door to do the damage. Not all of the paint has come out of that one as of the the last report I got from the owner. It has paint on the passenger side seat and the inner door panel on the same side.

The lesson to others I think that anyone that is judging, working in Admin, has to leave their vehicle even briefly, etc. would do well to ask the owners of the vehicles next to theirs to do them a favor and please help keep an eye out for their vehicle. It is obvious that those kids targeted vehicles that were not being watched by an owner.

Hopefully it was a one time act of stupidity by three kids that will pay in one way or another for this. But it is a warning to us that we must guard against it and that amounts to being watchful and helping each other.

Guest billybird

Shop Rat: I agree, we all need to watch each others backs so to speak. I for one will step up my vigilance at future shows. However, lest all be doom and gloom here, let me say this is the first incident I have ever had in 40 National Meets. So I have no reason to expect some sort of trend to start. I do not blame AACA, Hornets Nest Region, or my next door neighbors on the show field. It was just a foolish and hopefully rare act that will not soon be repeated. In fact I'm detailing my car now for New Bern; can't wait!

Guest billybird
Studies say that parents spank too much. I tend to disagree.

There should be consequences for your actions, regardless of age. Sending a kid to their room is no punishment, anymore.

Barry: I tell my kids all the time; ya'll don't have a room, ya'll got a kingdom!

I think we addressed all avenues to include reprimanding/raising children which is really off topic. As others have stated it was an isolated incident, action was taken by authorities, the AACA has properly responded, respondents offered good tips.

Figure on average there may be 4500-to-5,000 cars entered in meets per year every year not including car corrals with no incidents. Let's let this isolated nonsensical event "die". My opinion as a member of the AACA.

Peter.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)